996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help! Battery completely dead. Can't open engine lid to jump start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
Help! Battery completely dead. Can't open engine lid to jump start

Came back from 10 day trip and battery is completely dead. I followed the instructions in the manual to open the trunk/engine lid by jumping the terminal in the fuse box with another battery. At first try, it set the alarm off which I turned off by turning the key in the driver's door but i still couldn't open the engine lid with the release switch. Now I can't get any response whatsoever. Any suggestions on how I could get the engine lid open so I could jumpstart my car?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Soykher is infamous around these parts
Yes if you have a way to get underneath your passenger side headlight through the wheel well with a long hook or metal coat hangger will also work, there is a release cable there. Pull on the cable and it will open the trunk. Good luck

Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
John in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to beholdJohn in Norcal is a splendid one to behold
thanks but somebody please tell me there is an easier way than this.

Originally Posted by Soykher
Yes if you have a way to get underneath your passenger side headlight through the wheel well with a long hook or metal coat hangger will also work, there is a release cable there. Pull on the cable and it will open the trunk. Good luck

Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Soykher is infamous around these parts
lol tow it to the dealer (that is a joke) do you have a way to charge the car through the cigarette lighter? Similar idea the the VW systems how they had solar panels to keep the battery steady while parked in the sun.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
This is from a guy at Rennlist, don't know if it will help. I seem to remember that there is also supposed to be a pull cable behind the driver (?) front wheel well.

Inside the breaker panel on the kickpanel beside the drivers left leg, there is a RED thing that looks like the head of the other breakers in there....but is the only one that is RED. Then, look for a yellow one. That's your fuse puller. Just pull it out and clamp the RED "fuse" by the head with it, like a pair of small pliars. . Then slowly pull out on the red thing and it will come out nearly an inch and stop. Get a 12 volt battery (I used a battery charger) and clamp the hot (positive) lead to the metal on the red thing. Then take the black clamp/wire and press it against the the door stop that slides out when you open the door. As soon as you touch the negative side to that piece of metal, you will hear the solenoid pop the trunk open.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 12-11-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Open the panel below the OBD2 cnnector, inside driverside..below ignition key.
Pull out the red tab, it is T shaped and has a + on it. Attach the battery cable/ charger positive lead to it, and the negitive to the door latch...then open the hood.

It is very simple to do, the instructions are also in the owners manual.

Good Luck

Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 PM
garrickl is infamous around these parts
John ... had this happen to me when I got home late one night and forgot to turn off the headlites. Call CSAA road service and have the driver connect a jump start battery pack to the cigarette light socket. It will provide the system with enough power for you to use the trunk trip switch to open the trunk lid.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Chewbacca is infamous around these parts
That exactly how u do it, I had that same issue.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 AM
nycsurfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zuma 911
Pull out the red tab, it is T shaped and has a + on it. Attach the battery cable/ charger positive lead to it, and the negitive to the door latch...then open the hood.

Good Luck
This is exactly what I did when I ran into the same trouble ,it worked out for me

Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
sent you a message ... hopefully you'll get it pop'd open quickly!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Guys he stated he already tried that......run to pep boys and get one of those cig lighter to cig lighter jumpers.......THAT will get you up and running...

Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Are you saying that I don't need another battery to do this? The instructions in the manual seem to indicate that I need a donor battery (in my case I used the battery from another car).

Originally Posted by Zuma 911

Good Luck

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Any generic brand cigarette lighter charger will do? I don't need the Porsche battery maintainer or trickle charger. I used to have one of those but sold it with my last Porsche.

Originally Posted by Turbochris
Guys he stated he already tried that......run to pep boys and get one of those cig lighter to cig lighter jumpers.......THAT will get you up and running...

Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Garrick, I have AAA membership. Is it standard for the AAA drivers to have equipment to connect to the cigarette lighter socket or should I specify this on my initial call?

Originally Posted by garrickl
John ... had this happen to me when I got home late one night and forgot to turn off the headlites. Call CSAA road service and have the driver connect a jump start battery pack to the cigarette light socket. It will provide the system with enough power for you to use the trunk trip switch to open the trunk lid.