996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

East Coast Trackers...vir Mar 08 Pca Zone 2 Event!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sechsgang
ya, no kidding, I thought it was a synergy car or another professional outfit...you could be in the biz right with em!
+1

(and I know heavy meant nothing except praise...amazing car!)

Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 AM
VB997 is infamous around these parts
very funny...very funny...
....I'm serious! I don't have all the weight reduction mods done yet. It's still weighing in well over 2900 lbs at 415 Hp. Stock engine/exhaust (less center muffler) no ECU tweaks...It's stock other than safety and suspension. Gutting it weight saving wise is a wash when you add back in a full roll cage. There was some sick horse power in the red group!!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Yeah right. Maybe Porsche should hire you, I wouldnt have known the difference if you hadnt told me. Still went by me like it came straight from stuttgart that way.

No offense meant by homemade btw, I wish I had the talent to build a car like that.

oh dude, no offense taken...I call it that too!!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by VB997
....I'm serious! I don't have all the weight reduction mods done yet. It's still weighing in well over 2900 lbs at 415 Hp. Stock engine/exhaust (less center muffler) no ECU tweaks...It's stock other than safety and suspension. Gutting it weight saving wise is a wash when you add back in a full roll cage. There was some sick horse power in the red group!!
well, ya, but Im at maybe 440 hp and weigh a cool 3400 lbs...haha...I should be the weak one! You CR that 997? Looks like with a bit of work, it could easily be a certain class leader...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 AM
well, ya, but Im at maybe 440 hp and weigh a cool 3400 lbs...haha...I should be the weak one! You CR that 997? Looks like with a bit of work, it could easily be a certain class leader...

...my target weight is 2700...which will include a cup exhaust and some CF body parts. I'm going to re-gear it with shorter gears and do R/P and RSR diff...already has the 997 Cup clutch and flywheel in it...adding a bigger wing and all glass will be Lexan in the next week or so...waiting on my windshield.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by VB997
...my target weight is 2700...which will include a cup exhaust and some CF body parts. I'm going to re-gear it with shorter gears and do R/P and RSR diff...already has the 997 Cup clutch and flywheel in it...adding a bigger wing and all glass will be Lexan in the next week or so...waiting on my windshield.
awesome. cant wait to see it in action again~!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
damn john .... i am going to have to go on a weight reduction when you do that!!!! your killing me! or maybe ill just take some driving lessons!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
but i will keep practicing!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 930man
but i will keep practicing!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Ok,

I called my instructor's tire guy...racer x 20+ years. PS2 will not offer enough "more" to be worth the investment over conti sport contact 2's. His words. He said he would not sell me the PS2's as that would not be right. Gotta respect that.

What tires that can be used on the road (DD, and I drive to events...)....do people recommend:

players I am looking at:

-255/315 Toyo R888 (what he wants me to use..). Is this the tire Tom tried out? This person told me that he had never seen cracks in a Toyo in all of his time, and he had guys using them all winter in Washington DC.
-large Michelin Cup tires...
-yoko neova's

My concerns are first rain safety and second wear and tear. Say I get 4-8k out of them..ok.. How about driving in rain? Real world road surfaces (rough roads....etc.).

Thanks guys.
Jeff I ran the R888's for my first time at VIR... I loved them to death, and I ran them at full tread pretty hard on a NEW TRACK that I wasn't familiar with, it gave me some good confidence off the bat and once heat cycles are in them, they just get better and better.

People also recommend and love the Nitto NT01's over on Rennlist. One guy said he got over 30 heat cycle's on his and that was before the cords were showing, he just tossed them because the compound got harder!

Either of these I would say would be your best bet.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Jeff I ran the R888's for my first time at VIR... I loved them to death, and I ran them at full tread pretty hard on a NEW TRACK that I wasn't familiar with, it gave me some good confidence off the bat and once heat cycles are in them, they just get better and better.

People also recommend and love the Nitto NT01's over on Rennlist. One guy said he got over 30 heat cycle's on his and that was before the cords were showing, he just tossed them because the compound got harder!

Either of these I would say would be your best bet.

Thanks. Gosh knows your car puts down a heck of a lot of power.....

Biggest PS2 is 235/315. R888's can be had to 255/335 per the tire shop (did a 996TT with pss9's with said size no problem...some rub at full lock only on the wheel liner....nothing bad).

Question is noise as a DD and rain. Noise is not a huge deal. Hydroplaning is a big deal....we get thunderstorms here that are nasty about once a month.

Keep in mind I am in the rapidly learning curve section...I don't need them now, but in 5 more DE days will probably benefit.....his and my thoughts.

I have no idea what my lap times were: 2:25 to 2:45...who knows. I hit a meager 140 on the straights most laps and did average green cornering by the end. At least Lindsey did not pass me on my final run...we were pretty even. She was quite good. I did the math and my max was 158.....mostly limitted to traffic. These cars are way faster than the NA cars for the most part.....don't forget, I had a 914 in my group with 4 cylinders.....guy was good in the corners but I had to wait every time for him on the straights....it gave my instructor and I a lot of time to discuss things.

Thanks!

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-18-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
ya, Ill be there next year too...but...Im thinking something that runs sub 2s...
New driver??? jk buddy!!!! We need to plan some events in the upcoming months, me and Stu will be hitting tons of them! I'm adding some more stuff to suspension, can't wait to see how it will feel without the tiny bit of wallow that I got over the esses, Matt said the solid toe links will take care of that for me...

Here are a few flyby's fellas, still waiting for in car footage and outside with my friends HDvideo cam, but this hold's me over for now.

My Scuderia

Wow just watched these, and youtubes sucks out a lot of quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Br1CK_edQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rl_2-a56oc

Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Thanks. Gosh knows your car puts down a heck of a lot of power.....

Biggest PS2 is 235/315. R888's can be had to 255/335 per the tire shop (did a 996TT with pss9's with said size no problem...some rub at full lock only on the wheel liner....nothing bad).

Question is noise as a DD and rain. Noise is not a huge deal. Hydroplaning is a big deal....not huge, but we get thunderstorms here that are nasty about once a month.

Thanks!

JB
I mean, most rcomps arent great in the rain...but like I said, I KNOW the pscups work fine if you are just careful...the rainlines in it are what makes the tire ok. Maybe trying a toyo ra1 would work as I know some who rain race those as well...and your nowhere near those speeds when its raining. Or, you could just get some hoosier wets and uhh...ya...burn em up in 1k miles...haha

Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
A few pics.

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-18-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SEAN 996
Sorry about that, I took care of it. Jenk12m what # were you?

Chris
silver gt3, car number 12

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: East Coast Trackers...vir Mar 08 Pca Zone 2 Event!!!