996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

East Coast Trackers...vir Mar 08 Pca Zone 2 Event!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iLLM3
New driver??? jk buddy!!!! We need to plan some events in the upcoming months, me and Stu will be hitting tons of them! I'm adding some more stuff to suspension, can't wait to see how it will feel without the tiny bit of wallow that I got over the esses, Matt said the solid toe links will take care of that for me...

Here are a few flyby's fellas, still waiting for in car footage and outside with my friends HDvideo cam, but this hold's me over for now.

My Scuderia

Wow just watched these, and youtubes sucks out a lot of quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Br1CK_edQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rl_2-a56oc

These cars would look cool with strips. ... Nice! And fun.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VB997
....I'm serious! I don't have all the weight reduction mods done yet. It's still weighing in well over 2900 lbs at 415 Hp. Stock engine/exhaust (less center muffler) no ECU tweaks...It's stock other than safety and suspension. Gutting it weight saving wise is a wash when you add back in a full roll cage. There was some sick horse power in the red group!!
WHOA now that's very impressive, I can't imagine when you go even further with that car (full weight reduction/i didn't even know you could do MORE haha, and some performance upgrades)

Your exhaust sounded ridiculous, and you just removed the center muffler? I thought your car was a factory cup as well!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Thanks. Gosh knows your car puts down a heck of a lot of power.....

Biggest PS2 is 235/315. R888's can be had to 255/335 per the tire shop (did a 996TT with pss9's with said size no problem...some rub at full lock only on the wheel liner....nothing bad).

Question is noise as a DD and rain. Noise is not a huge deal. Hydroplaning is a big deal....we get thunderstorms here that are nasty about once a month.

Keep in mind I am in the rapidly learning curve section...I don't need them now, but in 5 more DE days will probably benefit.....his and my thoughts.

I have no idea what my lap times were: 2:25 to 2:45...who knows. I hit a meager 140 on the straights most laps and did average green cornering by the end. At least Lindsey did not pass me on my final run...we were pretty even. She was quite good. I did the math and my max was 158.....mostly limitted to traffic. These cars are way faster than the NA cars for the most part.....don't forget, I had a 914 in my group with 4 cylinders.....guy was good in the corners but I had to wait every time for him on the straights....it gave my instructor and I a lot of time to discuss things.

Thanks!

JB
Jeff you are right, just get use to the car and do another DE or 2 before R compounds, you are AWD but at these speeds you can carry out on the track, most of the time it's not saving you at all, and with the R compounds you have a lot more confidence but less notice of tires breaking loose!

My car is damn fast, but hey, it didn't budge ONCE out there and I was running it HARD, no traction loss at all, thanks to my non laggy turbos and LWFW and clutch, the power doesn't come on so abrupt and you can modulate the throttle so easily!

BTW I ran 245/335's, on full lock on the right side I was getting a little rubbing. You will need new wheels if you are going 335, 335 on an 11 inch wide stock turbo wheel is WAYYY too big, stick with 315's.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff you are right, just get use to the car and do another DE or 2 before R compounds, you are AWD but at these speeds you can carry out on the track, most of the time it's not saving you at all, and with the R compounds you have a lot more confidence but less notice of tires breaking loose!

My car is damn fast, but hey, it didn't budge ONCE out there and I was running it HARD, no traction loss at all, thanks to my non laggy turbos and LWFW and clutch, the power doesn't come on so abrupt and you can modulate the throttle so easily!

BTW I ran 245/335's, on full lock on the right side I was getting a little rubbing. You will need new wheels if you are going 335, 335 on an 11 inch wide stock turbo wheel is WAYYY too big, stick with 315's.

Great advice. I'm taking it. I might just go with bigger PS2's too, but I want to hear how the R888 is with rain...and DD use.

Right now, I am leaning either with R888 or PS2...the latter 235/315. The former the way the tire guy the PCA in Potomac all use suggests...I suspect his client has GT2 wheels given what you said....12" and 335 should be fine, but I have the stock 11" wheels.

I have heard of people using the RA1 for a DD and were happy in rain/day to day (noise is the only issue). I have read and searched and the R888 is supposed to be superior to the RA1....so you probably had the "best" tire out there save a true slick.

Again, thank you all for the advice. All good options. Very slippery slope here....wheels, then tires, then trailers, then..

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-18-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Great advice. I'm taking it. I might just go with bigger PS2's too, but I want to hear how the R888 is with rain...and DD use.

Right now, I am leaning either with R888 or PS2...the latter 235/315. The former the way the tire guy the PCA in Potomac all use suggests...I suspect his client has GT2 wheels given what you said....12" and 335 should be fine, but I have the stock 11" wheels.

I have heard of people using the RA1 for a DD and were happy in rain/day to day (noise is the only issue). I have read and searched and the R888 is supposed to be superior to the RA1....so you probably had the "best" tire out there save a true slick.

Again, thank you all for the advice. All good options. Very slippery slope here....wheels, then tires, then trailers, then..

JB
Haha it's addicting that's for damn sure.... Look into the Nitto NT01's as well, there is a whole thread on Rennlist about them, and people are saying they get 30-40% longer wear life out of them, and they keep their grip until the cords show, unlike the R888's, i'm shocked and wonder if they offer anywhere near the same grip as the Toyo's?!

Ask your guy about those, another alternative!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
VB997 is infamous around these parts
WHOA now that's very impressive, I can't imagine when you go even further with that car (full weight reduction/i didn't even know you could do MORE haha, and some performance upgrades)

Your exhaust sounded ridiculous, and you just removed the center muffler? I thought your car was a factory cup as well!
...thanks!

...my last car was a 2002 factory cup car...I wanted a new car but without the sequential gear box maint. expense...so I built one (it's almost done).

...the current exhaust (cup exhaust on order) is the factory cats and two mufflers in the wheel wells without the center muffler (I have the GMG by pass pipe there).

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Drew, I got a call from our mutual friend Joe O. today...

A: I had no idea how old you are, young man. You carry yourself very well for such a young age (still blown away by that)

B: You have a huge head start and with the support from guys like Joe, you'll go far. Hope to see you in a real race car with some sponsorship real soon!

Mike

Originally Posted by sechsgang
awesome. cant wait to see it in action again~!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Drew, I got a call from our mutual friend Joe O. today...

A: I had no idea how old you are, young man. You carry yourself very well for such a young age (still blown away by that)

B: You have a huge head start and with the support from guys like Joe, you'll go far. Hope to see you in a real race car with some sponsorship real soon!

Mike
haha, I heard. I called Joe today and he was like, "oh, I should have told you about Mike Kelly, did you meet him there." I obviously responded "duh"...but oh well. Thanks man, Im doing what I can!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Drew you'll have to hook a brother up Still wanna go halves and clubrace? Hah

Btw John you and your car are incredible on the track, can't wait to see the final build and hopefully get to see you and all of the guy's out at another event!

Martin

Last edited by iLLM3; 03-18-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Next event for me is at Summit Point Main April 12-13... I believe it's still open, so pony up and register you guys! PCA Potomac!

Mike

Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Ok here's a running compilation video of VIR that I put together from film me and Jenk shot. So it's all fly-bys

There is mostly red group, but some white and blue in there too. It's long (18m)

http://media.putfile.com/VIR-PCA-25

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-18-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM
VB997 is infamous around these parts
Drew you'll have to hook a brother up Still wanna go halves and clubrace? Hah

Btw John you and your car are incredible on the track, can't wait to see the final build and hopefully get to see you and all of the guy's out at another event!

Martin

...you guys ever consider joining the VIR club? I've been a member for a few years now and if you thought the zone 2 was good...

we run the timing tower on member days and we all run together and have a blast...it's like the red group on Red Bull!!

...and don't tell me it's too far because we have a member that drives in from Vermont every month!

...if you can't do that, whatever you do, DON'T miss the Synergy Fall Fling...BY FAR, the best event of the year. In the advanced group (race cars), we pass ANYWHERE and points by are OPTIONAL...but NO contact is permitted. This is a pic from last year...taking a Z06 racecar on the inside of T1. A GREAT EVENT put on by Synergy Racing...nice banquet etc.

Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Next event for me is at Summit Point Main April 12-13... I believe it's still open, so pony up and register you guys! PCA Potomac!

Mike
Damn I wanna go to summit point too, just might be too soon! I would love to run with you again though next time in white from the beginning, we would have lots of fun, battle of the turbos

How Is summit? I hear mixed reviews, and of looks to be 3 hours closer for me then VIR too.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
stuart997gt3 has a spectacular aura aboutstuart997gt3 has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Originally Posted by sechsgang
In March, the WHOLE zone 2 PCA region is holding their yearly event. Lets see if we can get some 6speeders at this meet...Heavy,Hinkle...everyone else...lets get this going!
WELCOME HOME EVERYONE.
ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END
BUT WE'LL DO IT AGAIN SOON.

GREAT TO MEET EVERYONE.
FANTASTIC OPENING FOR THE 2008 SEASON.
I WISH ALL EVENTS COULD BE AS MUCH FUN AS THIS WEEKEND WAS FOR ME,AND FOR EVERYONE WHO WAS AT THIS EVENT.

OH YEA DREW,THIS THREAD WILL GO ON AND ON & ON & ON...........

PEACE ALL, KEEP THE SHINNY SIDE UP
STU

Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by VB997
...you guys ever consider joining the VIR club? I've been a member for a few years now and if you thought the zone 2 was good...

we run the timing tower on member days and we all run together and have a blast...it's like the red group on Red Bull!!

...and don't tell me it's too far because we have a member that drives in from Vermont every month!

...if you can't do that, whatever you do, DON'T miss the Synergy Fall Fling...BY FAR, the best event of the year. In the advanced group (race cars), we pass ANYWHERE and points by are OPTIONAL...but NO contact is permitted. This is a pic from last year...taking a Z06 racecar on the inside of T1. A GREAT EVENT put on by Synergy Racing...nice banquet etc.
Damn I would love to join, and it is a bit far but very doable, this trip wasn't bad at all for me. The events you mention sound fun, but out of my league for right now (red LOL )

Have the link for these events?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: East Coast Trackers...vir Mar 08 Pca Zone 2 Event!!!