996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Swap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:52 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Real quick question: do you need to drain the oil before swapping out the turbos? Or is there not enough in there to cause a catastrophe when removing the feed and return lines?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 03:13 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by KPG
RD, if that insult was the worst thing that happens to me this week ...I am doing just fine. The thing about this whole thread is I actually agree with most of what you are saying. My tech is a 25 year veteran at a Porsche mainline dealer and he reuses the gaskets under most , but not all, circumstances. The point I was trying to make is there are people that may try to do this exhaust or turbo or both themselves and search the forum and see that you do not need to change gaskets. Maybe true, but the average DIYer doesnt have the knowledge of the mainline dealer or a good indy. It sure would suck to have to go back and replace them again if they didnt do it right. I think it is cheap insurance to replace all gaskets....per the manual
KPG- All good points.

wross- I never said the manual was wrong. An example of an excellent way to do something which goes against the Porsche manual is connecting rod replacement without splitting the case (see Porsche PhD's thread). There are countless other techniques that all technicians use that you will not find in any offical Porsche manual or literature.

Zuma- Excelelnt points and nice photos. Great job!

jimmer- the oil will drain spontaneously when you remove the oil sump bolts.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
How would you guys rate the difference in difficulty level between an exhaust swap and a turbo swap? My guess is it should be about the same.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:02 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BlackBear
How would you guys rate the difference in difficulty level between an exhaust swap and a turbo swap? My guess is it should be about the same.
It's more work than just doing the exhaust as it includes all of those same steps and more. You might be able to get away without removing the exhaust completely, but it's really in the way so it is easier to remove it. The work after the exhaust is the oil sump and its 2 lines, the turbo oil line, header nuts, inlet and intercooler hoses, wastegate line and the turbo hangar. It doesn't sound like much but all those nuts are heat damaged like Zuma said and at least one will give you a headache. I found the oil sump lines to be particularly painful. Mine were frozen and breaking them free caused the hard line to bend enough to prevent the aluminum nut from spinning freely. That's not a huge issue in removal, but during reinstallation there was resistance in turning the nut so it was difficult to tell if I was crossthreading or not (both male and female threads are soft aluminum). I was lucky. I mentioned it to a Porsche tech (I know, I know) and he said this (crossthreading the oil sump) is one of the common pitfalls to avoid. Unfortunately I did not ask how to prevent it. I think the answer is to only work on undriven cars.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:39 PM
benguss is infamous around these parts
take the rear inner plastic wheel liner out, then you have more access to the turbos. One word of caution the check valve for oil in on top of the turbo can be a *****, be carefull when putting them back on.
I have extra gaskets for the turbo exhaust and have reused the gasket many times with no leaks...anomoly? And quoting engineers about replacement of every screw, locknut, filter replacement, gasket replacement can be tediuos(sp). If you can't determine yourself if extra work/cost is beneficial then take it to the dealer to work on your cars. each car/parts are different some last long time others don't. Anyways, can I have all those used gaskets you are throwing away!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 AM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
yeah i didint think this woulda been such a hard install... i might end up having it taken to the local porsche shop.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
I'm in Hoboken and grew up down in your neck of the woods (CBA grad). I'd be happy to help you turn a wrench as I'm probably going to be installing a set of hybrids myself shortly, so it'll be good practice. Let me know if you want a hand turning a wrench. You can PM me with the details.

Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
yeah i didint think this woulda been such a hard install... i might end up having it taken to the local porsche shop.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 AM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
I'm in Hoboken and grew up down in your neck of the woods (CBA grad). I'd be happy to help you turn a wrench as I'm probably going to be installing a set of hybrids myself shortly, so it'll be good practice. Let me know if you want a hand turning a wrench. You can PM me with the details.
thanks for the offer. i just called the shop and they'll get back to my by monday for a price quote. depending on what they say, ill have to make my decision.