996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo Swap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:23 AM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Turbo Swap.

I'm planning on taking the turbo's off my car and sending it to IA to change them to the hybrid K16/K24's...

Now my question is, how hard is it to remove the turbos from the car?
I'm assuming that the exhaust needs to come off as well but I planned on getting a new one anyway.

It seems like an easy job but I dont quite know the measurements and want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Also, with K16/24's and a new exhaust, what numbers should I be looking forward to? Also, I'm also assuming the 5FPR is a required mod once I get this install done?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 AM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Last Question. Is it safe to assume that I need new headers as well? If thats the case, what should I be looking at. The K16 or the K24 headers?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Have you considered UMW ... from what I understand UMW's K16/K24 "Zero Clearance" makes the most power (not to mention the fastest to spool, IMHO) for 16/24 hybrids ... you can see KPG's dyno when he had his ...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...=109067&page=6

I think he had about 512 AWHP / 565 AWTQ and that's on PUMP gas ...

Old 12-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Can some please tell me what "zero clearence" really is. Is it a gap of + .001", +.005, +.020 ??....it has to have some clearence, even if the CTE of the turbine is less than the housing. Thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
Last Question. Is it safe to assume that I need new headers as well? If thats the case, what should I be looking at. The K16 or the K24 headers?

Stephen know his stuff. You should have your ECU flashed. The general feeling is that headers won't mean much as far as power increase. But adds $$$.
You should do your exhaust at the same time saves labor
use new gaskets all around.

MY 03 makes 466 AWD Hp 540 Tq
It has almost no lag, very strong, and runs like a watch!
k16/24 turbos
FVD flash ( good pricing right now)
stock headers ported
GT2 ICS,
Evoms intake,
Forrge diverters.
Fabspeed GEN 3

Good luck

Old 12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Did you have any MAF issues with your EVO intake (V-Flow) while running your K16/24 hybrids?

Originally Posted by Turbohead
Stephen know his stuff. You should have your ECU flashed. The general feeling is that headers won't mean much as far as power increase. But adds $$$.
You should do your exhaust at the same time saves labor
use new gaskets all around.

MY 03 makes 466 AWD Hp 540 Tq
It has almost no lag, very strong, and runs like a watch!
k16/24 turbos
FVD flash ( good pricing right now)
stock headers ported
GT2 ICS,
Evoms intake,
Forrge diverters.
Fabspeed GEN 3

Good luck

Old 12-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
No MAF issues,
Evom intake is dry type.
Elliot

Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
I took out my EVO V-Flow when I had my UMW Stage II Zero Clearance put on. I was made to understand that the programming will eat the MAF.

What are the differences between the dry and oiled VFlow filters??

Old 12-14-2007, 03:18 PM
The oiled filter is thought to screw up the MAF I guess because of some oil vapor contaminating the MAF wire.

The dry type has a fine mesh sock over it and so no oil issues.
Elliot

Old 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM
ahh .. so, I have the dry type minus the sock...got caught on something.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
I too would like to know if the UMW programming concern is from the flash and combo not liking the increased airflow and hurting the maf or if it is an oiling issue. If so then the dry type filter setup could work. I think it is flow related because Kevins airbox with a BMC is what some run he justs suggests keeping them clean and not overoiling them.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Just to share - I was the original owner of Elliots FVD/Speed Gallery k16/24 kit and I had an EVO V-Flow (the original oiled version) for two years and approx. 30,000 miles with no MAF issues. Daily driver and 25 - 1/4 mile passes - no problems. I believe I also posted the quickest K16/24, 1/4 mile time with this package.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:39 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Turbo removal tips:

Remove the bumper and intercoolers for better access.
Spray all nuts down with Liquid Wrench the night before and morning of removal.
Yes remove the exhaust...it will make it easier.
Replace the spark plugs while you are in there.
You do not need to replace any of the gaskets on the turbine. Contrary to what many people on the forum think, they are designed to be reused. So are the stainless exhaust manifold (header) gaskets.
Yes you can keep your stock headers, they are just fine. If you want to improve them, get them ported by a local automotive machine shop (remove the excess welded beads seen in the openings...they should know how to do it without compromising the strength of the weld).
5bar FPR is not usually done with most of the tuners out there for 16/24s. Just ask the one you are using to find out.
K16/24s are a tremendous bang for the buck and perfect for the street and track. If you are not wanting to exceed 500awhp you will have a hard time justifying any other setup.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Port and polish your stock headers. The hybrids from IA are from UMW - thats were Kaspars gets them from. If you want the zero clearance just tell and pony up the extra $$$ for it.

Jag

Old 12-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Turbo removal tips:

Remove the bumper and intercoolers for better access.
Spray all nuts down with Liquid Wrench the night before and morning of removal.
Yes remove the exhaust...it will make it easier.
Replace the spark plugs while you are in there.
You do not need to replace any of the gaskets on the turbine. Contrary to what many people on the forum think, they are designed to be reused. So are the stainless exhaust manifold (header) gaskets.
Yes you can keep your stock headers, they are just fine. If you want to improve them, get them ported by a local automotive machine shop (remove the excess welded beads seen in the openings...they should know how to do it without compromising the strength of the weld).
5bar FPR is not usually done with most of the tuners out there for 16/24s. Just ask the one you are using to find out.
K16/24s are a tremendous bang for the buck and perfect for the street and track. If you are not wanting to exceed 500awhp you will have a hard time justifying any other setup.
Excellent advice from Roadsterdoc !! Anyone know where I can get a pair of K16/K24 turbos ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Swap.