996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche upgrade letter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Kurt RSF is infamous around these parts
Porsche upgrade letter?

Who has received a letter from Porsche about the year-end upgrade program, as detailed by Auto Spies last week?

I just received one in the mail from a dealer back east I bought an X-50 from 12 months ago (I'm in California).

I haven't received one from my local dealer I've bought 3 new Porsches from. I still have one of these cars, a 2000 C2 Cab.

I believe Porsche put together the list of customers to receive the letter, and then notified the dealers and had them send out the letters.

Does it make sense to invite the person who bought a 2002 car 12 months ago to buy a 2003? Or would it make more sense to invite the person who bought a 2000 car 40 months ago to upgrade?

Old 08-22-2003, 05:48 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Re: Porsche upgrade letter?

Originally posted by Kurt RSF
Who has received a letter from Porsche about the year-end upgrade program, as detailed by Auto Spies last week?

Does it make sense to invite the person who bought a 2002 car 12 months ago to buy a 2003? Or would it make more sense to invite the person who bought a 2000 car 40 months ago to upgrade?
Kurt,

If you dont mind me asking, what are the specifics of the letter?

I agree...you would think that they would target the 01 owners who purchased at MSRP or Higher. With the market the way it is, it wouldnt make sense to entice someone who just got a great deal on a TT...unless of course the dealer plans to make up for lost revenue by offering ridiculously low trade in values.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:44 PM
porschedesign is infamous around these parts
I talked to a friend at a local dealership. Seems that the factory has set up some sort of "owner loyalty program up".You can get a couple g's of a new car only if you own a 01 or older. He said to check the mail.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:48 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is infamous around these parts
I heard 3g off for a boxster and 5g for a 996

Heard this today -not sure on the validity

Old 08-23-2003, 06:50 AM
will this help porsche??

Do you guys think that a discount to existing customers is really going to help Porsche sell more cars or will it just diminish there profits from customers that are already looking to upgrade. Personally a small discount wouldn't motivate me to go spend 60-100K. It would be a nice bonus if I was in the market. Personally I think Porsche is missing the boat with this offer. I would be more apt to spend money on parts with a coupon. But a car?? Porsche needs to step up with competive finance programs in my opinion to spur growth. The dealers are getting overloaded on inventory-Yes the gt2 and tt cab will sell at list but all dealers that I see have to many 996/bosters/cayennes on the lot.

The other option to get cars selling is to increase the hp figures. I would be more willing to swap cars for a significant power increase. Put the gt3 enine in the cab-ect.

Old 08-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Kurt RSF is infamous around these parts
Ok, here's what the letter says.

Dear Valued Porsche Customer,

With the model year coming to a close, there is no better time to upgrade your current Porsche.

From Porsche Boxster to the 911 series, I am sure we have something in our inventory or can easily locate your next vehicle. Don't forget the new 911 C4 Cabriolet and Turbo Cabriolet available for order as well as a special "40th Anniversary edition". This special Carrera coupe will be avilable exclusively in GT silver, polished 18 inch Carrera wheels, and boasting 345 horsepower.

No letter from our dealership would be complete without mention of the all new, all wheel drive Porsche Cayenne. This stunning SUV delivers stunning on road performance and handling yet is equally adept in off road conditions.

From sports cars to SUV's we have it all. Please contact your sales representative or you can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

"Happy Porsche Mtoring"

Old 08-23-2003, 07:44 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"Yes the gt2 and tt cab will sell at list..."

no they won't. you can find a sub 1k mile GT2s all day long for $140 to $150k which is a far cry from MSRP. once the produciton of the tt cabs has been under way a couple allocations worth, you'll see discounts to MSRP. just like the GT3, once the newness wears off and the speculators flip their initial allocations, they'll tank like all p-cars.

Old 08-24-2003, 04:29 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Ben it my understanding that the GT3 is in trouble. Buyers are backing out and those that have purchased them and trying to get out. Apparently there are several new GT3's available despite the rather small amount allocated to the US. I have said all along why buy a GT3 when for a few thousand more you can get a TT which will out perform it on the track and everyday driving.

The TT Cab. has a wider market and should not suffer the same fate provided Porsche does not over produce them.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:03 PM
why buy a gt3 when you can get a cup car

a cup car can be had for the same amount of money.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Doody is infamous around these parts
TT Cab. has a wider market and should not suffer the same fate provided Porsche does not over produce them.

yes, and that's a big "provided" given their recent history with the 996TT.

doody.

Old 08-24-2003, 07:04 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"TT Cab. has a wider market and should not suffer the same fate provided Porsche does not over produce them."

The 3650 lb "sports car" is going to attract a large poseur following IMO and the resale won't be any stronger than the coupe - especially if Porsche does the usual channel stuffing.