996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

San Diego Area PPI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
San Diego Area PPI

What are some good and trustworthy locations in the San Diego to have a PPI done on a 2005 turbo? I am looking for the whole smash to inlcude paint meter readings to verify to re-painting, all mechanical checks, test drive, etc. to detail ANY issue not representing a newly ordred and delivered vehicle. I would likely prefer pictures (digital) and certainly photos of any questionable components.

An independent shop will likely be the best choice but I might trust a dealer if they are trustworthy and recommended.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
harkerdude is infamous around these partsharkerdude is infamous around these parts
old topic, same question

Hello, I know this is a really old thread but I basically have same questions.

I'm looking at a private seller's car in San Diego area and was wondering where I can have PPI done.

I did some research in the forum, it seems like Hoehn Porsche is probably the place to go but was wondering if there are any other choices.

I also wanted to know how much they will charge for the inspection as well.

I have been lingering around this forum for awhile now and really hoping to pull the trigger soon.

Help me out guys!

thanks in advance.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:47 PM
dkp993 is infamous around these parts
Blackforrest has always done all the work on my p-cars and done an outstanding job. The have a very good rep here in SD. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:52 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Old thread, but good to pull it back up since it is on point...

No specific advice on WHO to use, but DO realize tehre is no such thing as a "porsche PPI".... if a dealer says "yeah we have a PPI" you ***MUST*** know what is included and what criteria are used.

I recommend the following:
Porsche CPO checklist. (Items are detailed, criteria are known)
Add 'Dump of DME' for any codes and over-revs
Add Paint metering if paint bothers you.
Add Service and Warranty history
Add Compression/Leakdown as an OPTION if miles are high, anything sketchy, or you are ****. I recommend this latter be done as an 'increment', after everything else is a "go" and you are committed. You can also change the plugs with this for $zero cost, just pay for the plugs- but if the seller bags the deal he should pay for the plug change...

Good luck

A

Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
ponyboy is infamous around these parts
996 Turbo / GT2 > San Diego Area PPI

Originally Posted by harkerdude
Hello, I know this is a really old thread but I basically have same questions.

I'm looking at a private seller's car in San Diego area and was wondering where I can have PPI done.

I did some research in the forum, it seems like Hoehn Porsche is probably the place to go but was wondering if there are any other choices.

I also wanted to know how much they will charge for the inspection as well.

I have been lingering around this forum for awhile now and really hoping to pull the trigger soon.

Help me out guys!

thanks in advance.
Call John at Black Forest these guys do great job and they know what they are talking about. They have done two for me so far.

They are all Porsche guys and love the cars.

The C4S I have now I had the prebuy done at Porsche of Newport Beach and they were very reasonable and looked at everything.

I saw where someone suggested HOEHN. I would not suggest anyone use them for anything. They know nothing about Porsches other than what the factory tells them to say in the book, the mechanics are not Porsche people and they just want to get in to your wallet.

These guys are a joke!

We sent our Boxer in to them because the kid helping my wife put oil in the car mistakenly opened the coolent cap and poured about a tablespoon of oil in before he realized the mistake. I asked HOEHN to drain the coolent out, clean and refill the system. Two days later I came by to see what was up and they had done nothing as far as cleaning the system and had placed a sign on the engine that said "do not start engine case cracked".

One of their top mechaninics (sarcasim) saw the oil in the coolent and determined that there must be a crack somewhere. I explain the details of what happened again and the guy just looked at me like I was crazy. I asked him if he checked to see if there was coolent in the oil and he said no but the "Factory" told him that if there is oil in the coolent this must be the reason. The car had 15K or so on it and was like brand new and Black Forest had been doing all of the work on it.

I think the bill for what they did was over $200.00.

I took it to the next closest Porsche guy because I was in Carlsbad and did not what to drive it to SD and leave my other car with no way back.

He drained it, pressure tested it (which Hoehn could not do), changed the oil and the car was fine and passed the next buyers prepurchase inspection with flying colors.

The one thing Hoehn is good at is their complaint system is so controlled that there is no one and no where to leave one, by letter, phone, internet or in person. They will let you mention it with the cashier as you are writing the check.

Thanks! I have wanted to bash on these guys for a couple of years now.

Ponyboy

Last edited by ponyboy; 12-12-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 PM
harkerdude is infamous around these partsharkerdude is infamous around these parts
Thank you all for your inputs guys!

I guess I should avoid Hoehn and go with Black Forest.

How much do they usually charge? and how long does it usually take?

Thank you guys again for great replies.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by ponyboy

The one thing Hoehn is good at is their complaint system is so controlled that there is no one and no where to leave one, by letter, phone, internet or in person. They will let you mention it with the cashier as you are writing the check.

Thanks! I have wanted to bash on these guys for a couple of years now.

Ponyboy
Thanks for sharing! I guess you can find a little peace in that you steered me away from them!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Black Forrest seems to the the best non PCNA shop in San Diego. Otherwise go to Pioneer Porsche.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:03 AM
KevinTT is infamous around these parts
I have heard good things about Black Forest but I have been using All German Auto in Escondido with great results. I purchased my Turbo from Pioneer and have no complaints at all. They have always been outstanding. Looks like you have a few good choices.
I agree, stay away from Hoehn!

Cheers