996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 AM
hhazrati is infamous around these parts
Track Brake Pads

I want to change out my street pads for DE. What is the best track only pad? I am not concerned with noise or dust, and will switch back to street pads after DE.
How are the Hawk Blue Pads?
Where is the best place to buy brake pads?
I just flushed my brake fluid and replaced it with ATE Blue. My front and rear pads have 1/2 inch or 1 cm left. Is that enough pad for 1 DE? (if I decide to stay with street pads)
Thanks

Old 06-07-2004, 12:27 AM
I love this board!!! A technical question about brakes and tracking gets zero responses. But comments about "dusting" this car, and "dissin" that ZO6 gets FIFTY+ replies. I have never "dusted" any one. How is this done? Do you need any rags and Pledge?
All these cars on this board with $$$$$ upgrades, how many actually see a track? What is the use of 720HP and $3K suspension when "almost" nobody tracks their car. Stoplight racing was great when we were 16, but come on guys!
I moved over here from the PPBB Boxster board when I bought my TT, but I miss the mature responses on that board.
A "mod" is something that adds HP, handeling, or stopping to your car! $5K wheels are not a Mod! Yet a thread about "how does my black wheels look?" gets 5 pages of response! Are we all women over here? (no disrespect meant to women).
What really pushed me over the edge was "two Persians wanted to race me in their ZO6" thread. 6-7 pages of response to a racist, elitist post. Well Todd, they really wanted to know if you could drive that thing! Its all about the driver, not the car! If you ever go to the track, your 700+HP will not help you against a well driven Miata, Boxster or ZO6. The track is a very humbling experience for alot of guys.
Sorry for the rant.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:33 AM
jroy is infamous around these parts
i get some good tech info on this board.!

to answer your question im do not have the experience to tell you what pads are best for track application. i did however bump into this website www.bhpbrakes.com

Seems like something good, but im sure someone has some first hand experience..

Old 06-07-2004, 03:47 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
Sorry that nobody got back to you. IMHO it is personal perfrence some like Pagid, some like Mintex, and some like others. It also depends on what kind of track driving do you mean? Do you think that your pads are going to get extremly hot or just a little over normal hard braking?

Old 06-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Your so right. It's almost comical how the majority of people on boards when confronted with" this car at half the price of yours is faster, has more Hp etc., etc., always say a Porsche is about the whole package, let me get that person on a track". All they ever talk about is how much Hp they have and their 1/4 mile time when they've finished level 8+RP engine mod. This is in total conflict with the majority of posters that always say a Porsche is not a 1/4 mile car but a track car. I wonder if more then 10% of the posters on Porsche boards have ever seen a track. And yes, since you paid for your car, you can do whatever you want with your car(I know that reply is coming). Most people talk a good game, they just can't play it.

Now on to your question. I've had 8 track days so far this year. The stock pads on my 2001 C2 are great. My instructors are always amazed by the braking power. I want to take tracking to the next step. I'm in the process of buying track wheels and tires. I just bought Pagid Blue track brake pads. Here's my reason why I bought these instead of Pagid Orange.

Stock Pad, Blue, Orange
Friction level cold .36 .40 .39
100 Celsius .38 .42 .40
300 Celsius .42 .44 .43
500 Celsius .45 .46 .47
Max Temperature range 550 C 650 C 700 C

When you are timed in a DE your given 1 warmup lap and then your timed. I doubt your brake pads ever get up over 500 C in your timed runs. In a AutoX you don't have warmups before you start your timed runs, however many you may have. Pagid Blue pads have a much higher friction lever then the stock pad cold and always are higher then the stock pad and match or beat the Orange pads until 500+ C. I went with the blues because of this and they are easier on your disc then the orange pad.

On another note. I had to replace my stock pads. I was shown yesterday how to to do that. I'm not kidding when I say it takes less then 5 minutes per wheel. It will take longer to take your wheels off and put them back on.

Now I just need to find one of those little trailers that a lot of Porsche owners that track their cars pull to the events. You can put 4-6 tires on it and you have a nice lockable metal box. Southport trailers made them, but they no longer do.

I hope this helps.

I'm now going to put one more coat of Rejex on my car (I'm not kidding). I do love the look of my car and want it to always look its best.

Next weekend is another 2 track days. I've got to have my wheels and tires by then.

Ken

Last edited by Ken7258; 06-07-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Well, the last 3 intelligent responses have restored my faith in this board! Thanks Guys.
By the way, at next weekend's PCA DE, should I go with a red or a yellow harness? Which one would look better in a Black/Black TT?

Old 06-07-2004, 01:16 PM
gt2next is infamous around these parts
hhazrati,god, ain't THAT the truth??? LOL! i read this board strictly for the entertainment level of what you guys write about here...especially when you list the mods to your cars at the bottom and list "clear side markers, types of cars sold in past, silver emblems, etc.! totally cracks me up. AND on top of that, the elitist tone alot of you have in your rants! like i said, i read this board for comedy, and often call friends to tell them also as we slap our foreheads in disbelief! hhazrati, you couldn't have summed it up better than what you have said in your second post! funny thing is, i joined this board after seeing cary's turbo and wanting to get more information on that car b/c it looked like a serious street/track machine without all of the silly chrome rims and clear marker garbage, and when i have repeatedly asked what has been done to modify this car SEVERAL times, NOBODY ever responds! i love porsches, but the arrogance that most of you have makes me look at porsche drivers a different way now....especially when i see tyson's gt2 flossin' on sunset every weekend! i only see it b/c i am coming back down laurel canyon, coming from a mullholland run and taking sunset home. kinda cheesy.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:49 PM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by hhazrati
Well, the last 3 intelligent responses have restored my faith in this board! Thanks Guys.
By the way, at next weekend's PCA DE, should I go with a red or a yellow harness? Which one would look better in a Black/Black TT?
Thank you, Thank you. 100% go with RED.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:49 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
It's almost comical how the majority of people on boards when confronted with" this car at half the price of yours is faster, has more Hp etc., etc., always say a Porsche is about the whole package, let me get that person on a track".
Okay Michael Schumacher... What do you care about the many reasons why people decide to upgrade their performance??? This is an entusiasts site...just because some people choose to have more hp than they need on the street, let alone track...why is that comical...What's really comical are cockey race boys like yourself with attitiude!!!

All these cars on this board with $$$$$ upgrades, how many actually see a track? What is the use of 720HP and $3K suspension when "almost" nobody tracks their car. Stoplight racing was great when we were 16, but come on guys!
Sounds like some mod envy...Go to Rennlist...there are plenty of arrogant cocky racers you can rant with if you don't like it here...

Its all about the driver, not the car! If you ever go to the track, your 700+HP will not help you against a well driven Miata, Boxster or ZO6. The track is a very humbling experience for alot of guys.
True, so what's your point??? Perhaps you should just mind your own business and NOT worry about other people's motivations why they choose to mod their car or not...It is a free country isn't it????

Rant over!!!

Last edited by rockitman; 06-07-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:45 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
hhazrati, Ken & GT2Next,
To answer your brake question, I would recommend the Pagid orange pads. I recently had a conversation with Colorchange wherein he documented rotor and caliper temps after a run and it is part of my reason for my recommendation. This is only if you are running stock brakes. If you are the **** type, I would also recommend changing your brake fluid after every two or three events if you really thrash the car and are very strong on the brakes. It depends on the course as well of course. I have modded my brakes and cannot get the Pagid series of pads so I am looking into other alternatives. My mod consisted of changing to the 15"/14", 8 piston/4 piston front/rear Brembo setup. After much deliberation and research, with regard to the perfomance benefit of this upgrade, given the interaction of ABS as well as the prowess of the stock Porsche braking system, I decided it was worth it to me. Check here for a comparison http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info...cfm?content=30 The other benefit is additional modulation rather than an on/off switch.
With regard to your rant about what guys do to their cars, how they drive them and their experience level, it is a free country and people may do as they so choose. Personally, I started tracking my modded 280Z back in 1985.

After that, I went on to the 944 Turbo and tracked it all the time as well.

I then picked up a 993 and decided to keep it pristine (no track). Yes, again, my choice since I live in America.

After selling the 993, I got into my current turbo. Again, I wanted to keep it pristine so I decided not to track it.

I started to get the bug to get out there again. That was the catalyst for buying the MINI Cooper S. I took that out to the track last year. What a blast!

This year, I bit the bullet and decided to try the highly modded turbo on the track.

Four wheel drifts and late braking due to the security of the upgraded brakes made it a really enjoyable experience. It also made me realize that I needed a more race oriented suspension. This "mod" would not have been as evident if I had not tracked the car. I am now in the process of changing out the suspension.

So, the moral of the story is that some people track and some people do not. That is fine and it is totally their perogative. I have made many friends on this board. In my opinion, this board is not about the pure and mundane exchange of information. It is about friendships and people talking about their passion......Porsches. There are plenty of people here that track and have very highly developed technical knowledge of the various systems in the car as well as how to drive them. The list is actually quite long. If they have decided not to respond to you, maybe they had their reasons.

BTW, my next track event is June 18 on Pocono's Long Course. We should be reaching speeds in excess of 170mph. You should get yourself up here and run with us.

Rockitman,

Old 06-07-2004, 09:57 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by KPV
You should get yourself up here and run with us.

Rockitman,
Eloquent response to the prima donna's...

As you know, I was commited 3 months ago with my father for a golf tourney on that date...
I DEFINATELY will be attending a PDA event this summer...Scouts honor!!!

Old 06-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Ken7258
[B]

Now I just need to find one of those little trailers that a lot of Porsche owners that track their cars pull to the events. You can put 4-6 tires on it and you have a nice lockable metal box. Southport trailers made them, but they no longer do.

I/B]
I'd like to know if you find someone that makes a little trailer that will carry 4 wheels - It's 100 miles each way to Willow and I'll got through a set of Kumhos each DE if I have to drive to the track with them on - and I can't fit four tires inside the turbo.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:09 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Old 06-07-2004, 11:11 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
hhazrati

It's pretty much all been said but I'd add........ stock pads/lines/rotors are actually pretty good.....however, at the other end of the spectrum probably is the 8 piston Brembo GTR kit or similer .

As has been pointed out, just going to Pagid Orange (on track weekends) and maybe steel lines, is a very easy and worthwhile move IMHO. Along with about 20 other things I do before a track weekend, changing the pads/wheels/tires are among the easiest.

On the Board comment......6Speed is a great forum but you may find a tad more tech related content on Rennlist (and Renntech).....but it depends on the day of the week .

Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
KPV
Gregg,
I agree. Let's try and change the tech thing here. I will do my part to contirbute as I always have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Brake Pads