996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why is Upsolute 1/2 the $Cost???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 AM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
I've had great luck with Upsolute.

I have the flash and a modified OEM exhaust, really good results.

From the time You send it in for flash and get it back it's about 5 business days. Send it off when you leave for your next ski trip and it's on your door step when you return.

tw

Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
You don't have to send your computer to Upsolute , it's flashed with the OBD port on your car,In Belgium we don't have to wait 5 days to receive the programming,it takes about 30 minutes to receive the updated flash..

Old 12-21-2007, 02:02 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dixie
it takes about 30 minutes to receive the updated flash..
That's great...why does it take 30 minutes to flash the ECU (should be measured in seconds...). BTW, I love Belgium!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wross996TT
That's great...why does it take 30 minutes to flash the ECU (should be measured in seconds...). BTW, I love Belgium!
Maybe it's the fine European Craftsmanship? No fast-food flashes for them...

Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
There were reports of CELs with Upsolute tuning from 5 years or so ago. I have never heard of any reports of engine damage. The CEL issue has long since been corrected. There are still people on the forum that love to bash Upsolute but that goes for every other programmer as well. Don't believe the "you get what you pay for" and "why go cheap on such an expensive exotic car" nonsense. Upsolute is a perfectly good product product and relative bargain. You might get a few more ponies with another company's OTS program. The limitations, as mentioned, are that it is an OTS product, but a custom tune will cost over 5x more.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
cactus57 has a spectacular aura aboutcactus57 has a spectacular aura about
Have had Upsolute for a year now and no problems.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:56 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
It takes 30 minutes to receive the new flash from Upsolute through email,loading the new file takes about a minute or 2..

Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 PM
hly
hly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nycsurfer
They are all "off the shelf" tuning IMO unless you actually pull your car on their dyno and they tune it right there ,Upsolute does custom map just like others as long as you submit the data on your car . I agree that UMW/Promotive/GIAC and few others are supposed to be more superior in Porsche tuning since thye have spent more time and generated more experience in the field .But hey ,I spent $700 and gave it a try ,the result is just as good as others with the same turbo in that dyno day ,and they have more "hardware" than I do ,I am on stock filter ,stock DV ,just chip and exhaust .
One of those "others" was me. We have same K16 turbo, but I have Evoms V-flow, Evoms DV, and GIAC chip, and our cars dynoed almost exactly the same whp. I am impressed by Upsolute.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:23 PM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
Im interested in Upsolute. do any of the sponsored vendors carry upsolute? I know Vivid did, but I assume they are strictly softronic now.

Ive got an X50 with cargraphic, and Im sure the extra boost would be night and day.

R

Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
There are several levels of real guru out there. Only a handful of folks know Bosch code at the formula one level....years of it perhaps.....so in some cases you do get more....it is not all peak numbers but "area under the curve"....and the idea of protection if you go past stage II one day.

Anyway, I like the idea of going tune/stock anytime I want....just me. And, my tune took my LWFW into account. So no issues with stalling, etc. If you don't have that and you do a LWFW, you may make your dd into a pita.

On the other hand, it would be nice if ALL 911 stuff was less expensive....I have always wished exhausts were 1100 dollars, not 5000. The cats cost about 500 each....retail, so even adding those gets you to 1800. John D is the man on this front imho...

Just me.

If you are happy, that is what matters. Some people are happy with Kodaks, some with Nikons, and some with Leicas. Then there is the Hassleblad croud....

etc.

JB

Old 12-22-2007, 07:46 AM
I have a LWFW and Upsolute flash and my car never stalls ,drives the same like stock. (FVD clutch with LWFW).

Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Hell,
I'd like to know why my car spikes 1.5 bar every day in 2nd gear w/ my Upsolute, Kevin's clutch and lwfw, dv's and a Fabspeed moderate!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:54 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by $manager
Hell,
I'd like to know why my car spikes 1.5 bar every day in 2nd gear w/ my Upsolute, Kevin's clutch and lwfw, dv's and a Fabspeed moderate!
Sticking wastgate?

Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well I'm on the other side I guess... I just had upsolute removed from my computer. When I first got the car last spring I had CELs coming on. I sent the computer back, via the previous owner and they uploaded the new file... No more cells... However, I'm more concerned over long term issues associated with tracking my car for 30minute sessions. So with my mods we decided to go another route. I had upsolute reset the computer to factory settings last week and today I'm installing the UMW software.

Mike

Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I have a LWFW too, no stalls. I've had GT2 competitors drive
my car and comment on the amount of power. The type of
racing I do *depends* on 'power-under-the-curve'. An auto-
crosser spends .1% of his time above 5000 RPMs. It's all short
blasts from 2000 RPMs to 5000 RPMs.
I get the idea that an apples-to-apples test of the power
difference between the various programs available off-the-shelf
from GIAC, Upsolute, UMW, etc. for stock street gas Porsche
turbos would be fascinating to us, but unless any of the vendors
(who have doubtlessly compared the different products for their
own private curiosities) have enough confidence in their superiority
to undertake this endeavor on a formal public basis, we will just
have to suppose that there isn't enough difference to justify the
effort or difference in price. If I were a vendor, I would concentrate
on advertising and on differentiation on customer service, customization
and add-ons, which is exactly what the U.S. vendors seem to be doing.

There was recently an off-topic thread that sprouted up in a Rennlist
race forum. Someone asked about what chronometer people were
wearing. The first posts were a mix of folks talking about their favorite
expensive high-end Phillippe Patek or Rolex etc, and a few joking about
how they have a $10 watch, and would wear an $8 watch if it didn't
go against their standards... The thread was essentially capped by a
poster who was torn on one hand between promoting the proper tone
of sarcasm for chirping about man-jewelry in a serious racing performance
forum, and on the other hand his having a specific interest in high
performance watches. He ended it by describing his watch, which was
by spec superior to every other watch mentioned in terms of it's
available functions, durability, and with accuracy: guaranteed to be
*perpetually* within eight one-hundredths of a second of the NIST
atomic clock in Denver. It could easily, reliably be used by the Rolex
company as the standard in-house instrument to calibrate/judge their
chronometers. Finally, this watch is solar powered so it never needs
batteries or winding. The only weakness or flaw in this watch, for
some audiences, is that it costs less than $150.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is Upsolute 1/2 the $Cost???