996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why is Upsolute 1/2 the $Cost???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:02 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Joe-
I am planning somewhat of a head to head test in the very near future. With a driftbox, I plan to do the following:

1. Pulls as is, which is Upsolute, Fabspeed and dv's. I'll get a good baseline here.
2. One of the vendors standard flash for 16's. Same dv's, same exhaust
3. New turbos, wg's, ecu map, Fabspeed, dv's, 5barfpr, Greddy, afr. stage 2/3/600 kit, whatever you want to call it. Basically what I can get w/out changing injsctors, et al.

I'll at least have some data that people can look at when comparing an Upsolute against another tuner's "standard" flash, then some data for a "600ish" kit vs the Upsolute and another Upsolute competitor [standard flash stage 1/2].

Hopefully this will give people some true data for comparisons in a real apples to apples test. As I am in Nascar country, I can get 100 and 104 unleaded as well as 110 and 116 leaded out of the pumps should I get real dumb! anyway, should be fun. All I need to do now is decide who gets my money for flashes and turbos!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I do not know how Upsolute does the programming.... but I can tell you all that not all programming is the same.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by $manager
Joe-
I am planning somewhat of a head to head test in the very near future. With a driftbox, I plan to do the following:

1. Pulls as is, which is Upsolute, Fabspeed and dv's. I'll get a good baseline here.
2. One of the vendors standard flash for 16's. Same dv's, same exhaust
3. New turbos, wg's, ecu map, Fabspeed, dv's, 5barfpr, Greddy, afr. stage 2/3/600 kit, whatever you want to call it. Basically what I can get w/out changing injsctors, et al.

I'll at least have some data that people can look at when comparing an Upsolute against another tuner's "standard" flash, then some data for a "600ish" kit vs the Upsolute and another Upsolute competitor [standard flash stage 1/2].

Hopefully this will give people some true data for comparisons in a real apples to apples test. As I am in Nascar country, I can get 100 and 104 unleaded as well as 110 and 116 leaded out of the pumps should I get real dumb! anyway, should be fun. All I need to do now is decide who gets my money for flashes and turbos!
Good on ya, mate. I'd wonder about Upsolute in a race gas or
non-standard turbo case. I'm not sure they do as much for the
cars/conditions that are too far from the mostly stock car.

And, yes, Markski, I too believe that different programs are different.
I could easily see one program going for maximum power under the
curve, where another might decide to trade a little immediate
power for a little less nervous, more smooth throttle response etc.
This would mean that one program might win a dyno or drag race
comparison test, while the other might be more controllable to
drive, and maybe therefore faster for some road racers or auto-
crossers, or maybe just more comfortable and rewarding to the
usual street driver. If we knew the precise tradeoffs, we could
make more informed purchases, and each of us might be able to
say that a given program is best for me, and why.
Joe

Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 AM
nycsurfer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by $manager
Hell,
I'd like to know why my car spikes 1.5 bar every day in 2nd gear w/ my Upsolute, Kevin's clutch and lwfw, dv's and a Fabspeed moderate!
Check your car ,I have never seen mine spike more than 1.1 bar .

Old 12-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
yeah, 1.5 must be some sort of mis-reporting or something.
I believe that until recently no one could even try to program
for that boost because Porsche shuts the throttle completely
if the pressure ever really gets to 1.3 bar.

Joe

Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
The 1.5 bar you see are propably just spikes , if it's always 1.5 bar at WOT you see than there's something wrong.Spikes is nothing to worry about...

Old 12-22-2007, 11:45 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
I also believe if you have an aftermarket flash you should always check air fuel ratio and if that's ok I think you'll have no problems.
I checked mine with upsolute flash and at WOT I'm always between 11.5 and 12.3 so that would be very good...

Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
DarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really niceDarioTexas is just really nice
I had an Upsolute and for the $500 at the time is was amazing ... Back in the 2002 days other tuners were shoveling $3,000 chips down our throats and everyone who shelled out that money was an Upsolute basher.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Yeah, I have seen the spikes rise as the temp drops. I do consistently get 1.1 in 2nd and 1.2 from third up. Tell you what, exhaust and that "cheap" map sure gets the blood flowing. Will be VERY interesting to see what happens when I start swapping software, turbos, fpr, etc.

Anybody have a driftbox they want to lend out for a week or so?

Merry Christmas!
Tom.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I spent $3,000 on a chip and programmer thinking "this is a turbo 911" or "i might need to put it back to stock for the dealer". I have NEVER flashed the thing back to stock and I don't have a 100 octane "race file".

Save the money for an exhaust, diverter valves and if you have an X50 some upgraded wastegates or wastegate springs. That combination will give you more power than any "custom" or off the shelf tune with stock exhaust.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well, as I posted a couple hours ago, I just did the swap and JUST came back from a 30 minute test drive...

I can NOT believe I waited so long to get rid of that software... I still need to adjust both turbos so they boost to 1.2 bar, but at 1.0 I noticed mucn quicker throttle response, and WAY MORE POWER. I'm breaking traction in 4th and 5th gear where I wasn't before, so this tune is absolutely more optimal than the other tune...

I can't believe I waited so long to do this...Kevin and UMW ROCK!!!

Mike

Old 12-22-2007, 05:30 PM
I have the upsolute flash and I raced against 2 guys I know,1 with a techart flash and the other one with a sportec flash ,no difference in power between the 3 cars.If I knew that the UMW flash would be better I would buy it immidiatly ,does anyone have a dyno with UMW flash on stock K16 with aftermarket exhaust? We dynod mine and I had 505hp at the crank with upsolute and europipe exhaust.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
All my experience has been with the K16/24 hybrid setup, so if you have a hybrid setup, I can certainly recommend Kevin's tune. It's much more involved than some would have you think. I can't believe my car was missing the throttle response and the power from idle to redline that it now has. I'll be doing some dyno pulls soon.

Mike

Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Addicted is infamous around these parts
Great thread. What exhaust would you recommend with an otherwise stock car to go with an upsolute flash?

Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dixie
I have the upsolute flash and I raced against 2 guys I know,1 with a techart flash and the other one with a sportec flash ,no difference in power between the 3 cars.If I knew that the UMW flash would be better I would buy it immidiatly ,does anyone have a dyno with UMW flash on stock K16 with aftermarket exhaust? We dynod mine and I had 505hp at the crank with upsolute and europipe exhaust.
This is from the TJW mod thread (modified oem exhaust) and were done by WOOSH:
Stock exhaust:
461 HP and 434 Tq (getting rid of the spike in HP and drawing a line through the average of the curve it is closer to 450 HP, torque of 434 held pretty flat so no adjustment) I was expecting Torque to be higher and HP was right on what I expected. Remeber this is a stock exhaust car with only diverter valves and UMW software. (Dyno before the UMW was 388 hp and 401 tq on the same Dynojet)

TJW exhaust mod (search on "modified oem exhaust" and go to article #45):
Here's the scoop. It definately did NOT lose any power, and if you look at just the max number it did not gain any.....at peak. IT did however gain HP and Torque all the way from 3500 to 5500 rpm, More than can be ignored or discounted. In Run 10 it was the original size hole that it drilled above at about 1 1/4 in. In runs 11 and 12 I increased the diameter of the holes to about 1 3/4 in. Did not seem any louder but once again made a little more HP but gained in TQ. If you look at run 10 it only made about 10 more HP around 5700 rpm and was very similar to run 8 the majority of the run, and Torque was a little more than stock exhuast off and on, but never less. However after the holes were made bigger in runs 11 and 12, Torque jumped between 20 to 30 ft lbs to the wheels more that earlier runs, and stayed there between 3500-5500 rpm. My estimate from these charts are about 10-15 more HP between 3500-5500 and between 20-30 ft lbs in the same RPM range.

So, the UMW software is a big deal. This is not a "fancy" aftermarket exhaust....one of those will likely make things a little better. Look at the curves..AUTC goes up a lot!

Good luck.

NOTE THESE ARE AWD NUMBERS AT THE WHEELS>>>NOT THE CRANK>>>> so it is a lot more than the raw numbers here if you look at others' crank numbers.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-23-2007 at 06:28 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is Upsolute 1/2 the $Cost???