996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2nd Air Snorkel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
try j/b weld. then seal it with black hi-temp silicon for a clean finish..it will never break! trust me.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Some weatherstripping around some of the gaps as well and it will be sweet.

The hole in the shroud on the right (WTF is that made of, it seems like fiberglass or some kind of carbon fiber)

Old 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by oak
I think is was around 1100-1200? ask kevin at umw he is a distributor of sportec.
More like over $2K.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
You do good work, it looks great and professional.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
It really looks good,but the biggest problem is going to be the snorkel fitment to the OEM airbox.Very curious about it..

Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by dixie
It really looks good,but the biggest problem is going to be the snorkel fitment to the OEM airbox.Very curious about it..
^^^^^x2

Old 12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Jimmers - I am finishing up our carbon air box and we are doing the 2nd snorkel, does look similar to that. stay tuned thanks for your pics!

Mike - in testing the filter element we choose worked perfect on the K16 and K24 cars. I am running it on my 650 kit and have had no issues. In fact in testing we ran the car without the filter and just the mesh screen to keep the air laminer. No difference. The only time we had an issue with flow or performance is when we tried to run the kit over to the right side like that Maxspeed thing. We lost 10 hp. That Sportec box is cool, but for $1200+ why not just cut another hole in the left side of your stock box and do what dixie or jimmers did. At the end of the day, it is just using a stock size filter like K&N or BMC, correct?

Also about the filter losing power after time, well partially that could be true if like your stock filter you did not clean it and keep it gunk free. The only difference between the K&N in the Agency Power air box and the K&N in you stock or that Sportec thing is how it is laid out. The surface area is surface area. Its about the volume that is important.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I stand by my statement... Bottom line is I no longer have, nor will I run that box for my reasons, which are based in physics and math.

Mike

Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
no problem, there are many different products out there for many different people.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I suspect the Agency box would be ok if you change the filter q 10000mi or so....so not a big deal if you keep it "clean"....my bias anyway. Hard to argue with Dan's dyno, but I am very curious about how Tom feels on the track with it....

But, I am running stock with paper (oem) and the car is so fast I am not sure I need more until I go beyond stage II. ... I think exhaust is way more of an issue with these cars until you go over 600hp....just me (and what I have been told by about 4 tuners directly). I plan to keep the car a long time and for that reason (to protect what goes into the engine, I plan to run paper and change it every 5k - 7.5k miles) I am sticking with paper for now (OEM). I am focusing on suspension now....

:-)

JCB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-31-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
nice project you got going there.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
Wow, this box is beautiful! I think I saw this somewhere a while back, but I forgot how amazing it looks.

Anyone in for trying to stir up a group buy for the Sportec or similar CF box?

Rob
that is beutiful, looks expensive...

Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
UMW sells it and it isn't cheap, but certainly is a work of art.

Mike

Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
Wow, this box is beautiful! I think I saw this somewhere a while back, but I forgot how amazing it looks.

Anyone in for trying to stir up a group buy for the Sportec or similar CF box?

Rob
I'm in. I was planning on getting one of these from Kevin anyways. If we can get a group organized and save a few bucks, that would be great!

Mike

Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
UMW/Sportec CF Airbox group buy?? what? who said that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2nd Air Snorkel