996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2nd Air Snorkel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 PM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
updates on progress?????????

Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 PM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
I didn't call yet because I am sick as hell. I should be back on my feet in the next couple of days. Do you guys want to wait on me to make the call on Monday or does someone else want to call Kevin?

Rob
sorry bud, i was reffering to jimmer23. on his project

Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought my thread was about the UMW/Sportec box now.

j/k, been busy with work. Should fit it tonight.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Quick Update

Test fit the snorkel on the car today and the clearance was good. Started fastening the snorkel to the shroud and cut airbox to accept the snorkel.

surface prep

snorkel attached with JB Weld

modified/cut-up airbox

Tomorrow I'll finish it off with black silicone sealant, and fit to the car. Probably won't do much in the end, but it was a fun winter project. If I could do it again I'd measure a little more accurately and cut more slowly. I'm sure this can be made to work without hitting the filter as you can see I obviously do in the picture. There's plenty of room.

Will post final pics tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:47 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I admire the clean cuts on the plastic airbox and the fiberglass shroud. What kind of tool did you use?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks! Actually it's funny you say that because my Dremmel broke tonight and would only work on the super high-speed setting. Piece of crap. So it took a lot of finishing work by hand with a variety of knives and a lot of wet-sanding.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
You should use some snap rivets also as the air force will easily separate the parts with just glue.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:01 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Jimmer 23 ,there are some things you should be carefull about:
With cutting your OEM box so mutch it seems possible your motor could suck air after the air filter so it isn't filtered anymore (hope you understand what I mean)
And if it's raining all the water will come in your OEM box , and most of this water will fall straight on your filter unit..
Something to think about ....Just trying to help..

Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Jimmer, what did you use for second snorkel, what car was it from?

Old 01-06-2008, 05:18 AM
wross - That's JB Weld my man. Nothing will break that free. Ever. I just tried and it's not even fully cured yet.

dixie - Thanks. The intake is still fully covered by the filter element. I had to throw an extra screw/nut in the side of the housing to make up for the two I lost up top. It's fully-secure. I don't think the water intake will be anything to worry about. No more than the other side gets anyway.

STEVO - The snorkel is a left side unit from a 997TT. Had to cut it in half and shaped a bit to make it fit with the EVOMS IC hoses under there. Fits beautifully though. More pics later today.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
About the water:at the right side the water will poor in the box without touching the filter but at the left side al the water will fall on the filter , I don't know if it could do any harm but I wouldn't like it.
Also on the right side snorkel there won't be a lot of water because there are several gaps were the water will fall through before it comes in the snorkel but at the left all the water will come in the snorkel and drup down on the filter unit..Difficult to explain in English for me,hope you understand what I mean..
Here you can see a picture how I made something to get rid of the water,all the wather inside the snorkel will fall in the little black U shaped plastic piece and comes out where I drawed the white marker..

Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
You did carbon tops! Wow. I will be PMing you about a new project for you to have and try since you did well with this.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jimmer23
wross - That's JB Weld my man. Nothing will break that free. Ever. I just tried and it's not even fully cured yet.

dixie - Thanks. The intake is still fully covered by the filter element. I had to throw an extra screw/nut in the side of the housing to make up for the two I lost up top. It's fully-secure. I don't think the water intake will be anything to worry about. No more than the other side gets anyway.

STEVO - The snorkel is a left side unit from a 997TT. Had to cut it in half and shaped a bit to make it fit with the EVOMS IC hoses under there. Fits beautifully though. More pics later today.
Looks great, I hope it all works out for you and you notice a difference. When will the testing occur?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dixie
About the water:at the right side the water will poor in the box without touching the filter but at the left side al the water will fall on the filter , I don't know if it could do any harm but I wouldn't like it.
Also on the right side snorkel there won't be a lot of water because there are several gaps were the water will fall through before it comes in the snorkel but at the left all the water will come in the snorkel and drup down on the filter unit..Difficult to explain in English for me,hope you understand what I mean..
Here you can see a picture how I made something to get rid of the water,all the wather inside the snorkel will fall in the little black U shaped plastic piece and comes out where I drawed the white marker..

Nice rain gutter work.....

Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok, I see, thanks for the heads-up Dixie. I threw a couple of drain holes in there to help, but I think air will come through there so fast, that there's not really much I'm going to be able to do to stop any water ingress. It takes a hell of a lot more to hydrolock an engine, and if I find myself in that much water I'll have bigger things to worry about. I'll just call it my poor-mans water injection when driving in the rain.

Robert - no testing I'm afraid. I've made multiple changes since last trip to the track, so it will be by my butt-o-meter and temp gauge only.

Last pics, everything is dry and will go on tonight.

Last edited by jimmer23; 01-06-2008 at 11:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2nd Air Snorkel