996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2nd Air Snorkel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Dan, et al, what I would love would be for someone to make a kit for the stock box to allow this to be done, templates included, etc., by the average person/mechanic.

JB

Originally Posted by jimmer23
Ok, I see, thanks for the heads-up Dixie. I threw a couple of drain holes in there to help, but I think air will come through there so fast, that there's not really much I'm going to be able to do to stop any water ingress. It takes a hell of a lot more to hydrolock an engine, and if I find myself in that much water I'll have bigger things to worry about. I'll just call it my poor-mans water injection when driving in the rain.

Robert - no testing I'm afraid. I've made multiple changes since last trip to the track, so it will be by my butt-o-meter and temp gauge only.

Last pics, everything is dry and will go on tonight.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
jimmer23, making some templates would be an awesome gift for your fellow 6speed DIYers.
But...could you stand having us adding your name to the mod list in our signatures?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
I think is was around 1100-1200? ask kevin at umw he is a distributor of sportec.

I think it $2k+

Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
jimmer23, making some templates would be an awesome gift for your fellow 6speed DIYers.
Not sure why you ask this...the snorkel IS the template...l have a DIY for the Sportec version FWIW.

And yes it is north of $2K...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
What I would "love" would be a vendor that could sell an airbox piece (the part that is cut, the snorkel, the decklid piece modified, the seals, and glues/instructions on what to use/buy. Basically, the kit to do this AND get one's car back to stock later. Such a kit would be worth a few hundred dollars to me and most of the users on this forum and really would not be too hard to do...

Just a thought for those out there inclined to profit....not sure what the actual parts cost of course.

It would be cool to be free of the typical tax for having a 996TT of course.

JB

Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
SlowMotion is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Sportec version:
Wow... with the red hoses and stuff, that looks like mine!

Seth

Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
What I would "love" would be a vendor that could sell an airbox piece (the part that is cut, the snorkel, the decklid piece modified, the seals, and glues/instructions on what to use/buy. Basically, the kit to do this AND get one's car back to stock later. Such a kit would be worth a few hundred dollars to me and most of the users on this forum and really would not be too hard to do...
JB...I purchased a new bracket (what folks are calling the deck lid...to preserve the stock one). As far as returning the unit to stock...based on the pictures I see...you would also have to have a new stock airbox. To me there are 2 keys...the snorkel piece itself and the front part of the airbox to create the seal between the lid and the airbox. It seems someone could take the Sportec parts and create them out of something other than CF and have a lower cost solution, but this may be infringing on their patent (if they even have one)....But I still don't think you'll get it for less than $1000...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Ok, it's finished. And just in time for my first "real" trackday this weekend at Brands Hatch (I'm SO stoked)!

Before you look at the pictures, it's winter and yes my car is a little dirty.

A couple comments:
  • If I could do it again (and I may modify it once I have some more patience), I would measure a little more carefully. The snorkel could be 2-3" higher up. It's not a perfect fit now, but close enough.
  • The comment earlier about water. I definitely need to add the lip back to the top of the filter element for insurance. It's in there tightly, but you never know what will happen once the engine is running and sucking in air - it is possible that water could bypass the filter element altogether. Not likely, but possible. I threw weatherstripping on top for now which should do the trick for the weekend.
  • re: making a template. It's easy as long as you have patience and don't mind hacking stuff apart. Really a weekend of work on the bench tops (letting the JB Weld dry takes the most time)
  • Do yourself a favor now and seal up the other snorkel with some weatherstripping and RTV/silicone (I went a little overboard). I don't know if it was the addition of the EVO IC's or this or both, but my running temps have dropped drastically since I did this over the summer.
And now the pics. I'm pretty happy how it turns out, and it doesn't look too ghetto IMO. Enjoy!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
congrats.. looks great.... so why would you seal the original snorkel? shouldnt the holes (gaps) be left so water could escape the funnel? correct me if im wrong.... if not is this what you reffer to as helping drop you temps?
looks very clean by the way.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
BUFFALOTT is infamous around these parts
why couldnt you use the parts from a 997 turbo (air box, deck lid pieces)

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
None of them fit. The decklid is different, and the outlet for the airbox is in the middle.