996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone every paint their exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
How much is that ...and where can one send things?

TIA
Jeff

Old 12-25-2007, 06:14 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Just google or look at yahoo yellow pages under powdercoating. There will probably be ten of them in your area. They will usually do either ceramic or pc.

I would still recommend against it. Most of the cars that said they did well with it have front engines. I can only assume that the exhaust heat is much more intense having the engine in the rear with less plumbing to get to the exit. Then again, I can't really back that statement up. As I stated before, the EGT's are crazy hot back there. I actually had my tips off for a day (during my personal attempt at painting them with high temp paint) and it melted my stock bumper. The heat that comes off a 996 is no joke.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:30 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Just google or look at yahoo yellow pages under powdercoating. There will probably be ten of them in your area. They will usually do either ceramic or pc.

I would still recommend against it. Most of the cars that said they did well with it have front engines. I can only assume that the exhaust heat is much more intense having the engine in the rear with less plumbing to get to the exit. Then again, I can't really back that statement up. As I stated before, the EGT's are crazy hot back there. I actually had my tips off for a day (during my personal attempt at painting them with high temp paint) and it melted my stock bumper. The heat that comes off a 996 is no joke.
I agree. After I posted about no issues with the Cayenne I thought about the difference in engine location. The tips on my 996TT certainly got MUCH hotter than the Cayenne's.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
ATL Shaver,

Nice Cayenne, and nice CRIB!

MK

Old 12-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Deputy is about right, my EGT is usually around 1100 to 1200 once the car is warmed up and I am on the freeway cruising around 75mph.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 AM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
Easy problem to solve. Just remove the cats and the mufflers. Strait pipes ensure that within a few hundred miles of driving, your tips will be completely black! AWESOME!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 PM
rsa supra is infamous around these parts
I would think ceramic would be the best bet. Looks nice and good for up to 2000 degrees.

Though you could give "Dupli-Color® High Heat Paint with Ceramic" a try. It is supposed to handle 1200 degrees. I used it on my (Supra) muffler and it looks surprisingly identical to the actual ceramic coating.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

Make sure you prep really well though.

Last edited by rsa supra; 12-26-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by exoticalex
Easy problem to solve. Just remove the cats and the mufflers. Strait pipes ensure that within a few hundred miles of driving, your tips will be completely black! AWESOME!!!

(I did the TJW mod which is sort of this....still have the primary cat of course)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
hipvspec is infamous around these parts
that cayenne is sick!