996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone every paint their exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 05:56 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone every paint their exhaust tips?

I know, I searched...., but nothing in the local forums seems to have a "I did this and it was good" and "I did this and whoa..big problems."

Idea: I am sick and tired of cleaning them and I like the RS look of black tips. Picked up some rustoleum high temp spray and liquid paint.

It will not be as good as powdercoat, but how much will this be a problem (chips?). It is an exhaust tip and the car is a DD, not a dinner utensil.

TIA.

Happy Holidays all.

I would love people to post pictures and/or give opinions and ideas.

JCB

Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I know it isn't quite the same, but when I got my used Europipe exhaust, the insides of the tips were in bad shape. I took them off and cleaned the whole tip..especially the inside. I then painted the inside of the tips with Rustoleum Hi-Temp Barbeque grill paint. It has been on there for several months with no chipping, cracking, or any problems whatsoever. I think the biggest thing is prep work..Give the tips a rough texture by using sandpaper to rough-up the chrome; that will make the paint stick better.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:52 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I think these are powdercoated black, but look very nice. Found this in the 996 pic thread. I was also thinking about powedercoating mine black as well, but I dont know if I can pull the trigger, I have a remus exhaust.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...mano/REAR1.jpg

Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I tried the hi temp paint first. That lasted about a week.

I had them powdercoated twice. Each time it lasted a couple months before it started flaking off.

I also tried ceramic coating. While heat resistant, it did not hold up to the road debris and looked like crap pretty quickly.

The last try was something secret my dealer did. I still don't know how they did it. It's a paint of some sort. It's been on there for around a year, and it's still holding up. It is starting to look a little rough at this point though and I'm looking to try something different.

My suggestion would be to have them black chromed. That seems to be the only thing that looks good and will last.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I think these are powdercoated black, but look very nice. Found this in the 996 pic thread. I was also thinking about powedercoating mine black as well, but I dont know if I can pull the trigger, I have a remus exhaust.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...mano/REAR1.jpg

That looks like the black chrome I was referring to.

Here's the only shot of my tips that I have handy. They look "okay" at this point.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys.

I found a mustang forum like this one...caliper paint was used by one guy. Makes sense...as the secret agent ingredient. I just like the look. I also hate the "half clean" look after two drives....

JB

Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 AM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
The tips on my wife's Cayenne are powder coated black and they have held up very well - no issues.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Damn that Cayenne is bad!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
No kidding...that thing is *******!!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Kevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the roughKevinw23 is a jewel in the rough
I would really like to have my exhaust tips done as well. Always thought that powdercoating was the way to go.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I guess it depends on the car. I found PC'ing not be to able to withstand the temps my 996 puts out. I have an EGT gauge on my car and it's sick as to how how it gets back there.

Two words. Black chrome

Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
We have done powdercoat on tips, here is an example of it on a M3 supercharged. No issues to date -

Old 12-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I guess it depends on the car. I found PC'ing not be to able to withstand the temps my 996 puts out. I have an EGT gauge on my car and it's sick as to how how it gets back there.

Two words. Black chrome
Anyone know how hot a 996TT with straight cats (TJW mod is sort of like that...) gets?

Thanks!

JB

Old 12-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Off the top of my head, and I would have to go out there to confirm, but I believe my car hits around 1150 measured right after the headers and right before the cats.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:34 PM
MDB
MDB is infamous around these parts
I had my M3 exhaust Ceramic coated black around May of this year and it still looks like the first day it was installed. Cleaning is also very easy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone every paint their exhaust tips?