996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 vs k16/24

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:31 PM
jt2
jt2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Powell
I love the idea of the K24/18G, but I do not think that GIAC offers a tune for them. I have PM'ed Stephen @ IA for a def. answer on that one just to make sure
Please post up what you find - I'm considering going the same route.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Chris it doesnt matter what turbos you get, your still going to be SLOW!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Powell, My old turbo had stock K24's w/ upgraded wg's and it seemed to perform as good if not better than garret 28's. Ask Sean about our cars before he got the fuel system from protomotive. Also keep in mind the weight differ. between Seans GT2 and my old turbo.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Hey matt thats the same statement Duy and Peter said about you. j/k

Old 12-26-2007, 01:39 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
You still have the software problem? I was under the impression that its been ironed out by now.
I've narrowed it down to 2 options...I guess I should just flip a coin at this point...

Old 12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Powell, One other option i did not mention is to give me all your Christmas money.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Powell, One other option i did not mention is to give me all your Christmas money.
LOL! If you got some inside info and can invest it and turn it around so I can buy a GT700 package I'm all for it

Have you ordered anything Tweety Bird yet? I know those K24/18's are calling your name!!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Nothing yet. Tweety is still unmolested. Still a virgin,just like the third graders of todays world.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
I've narrowed it down to 2 options...I guess I should just flip a coin at this point...
What are those two options and why ... if I may ask ...

Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
What are those two options and why ... if I may ask ...
Kevin's software (because he's the king of turbos/programming) and Vivid's Softronic software (because I like what I heard and they have a money back guarantee).

Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I would like to know how much Stephen will charge you for a gt700 tune? You did purchase a stage from him? If you talk to Akram, he can get you the parts required for a gt 700 kit for a great price... hmmm less that 10G? He has the 600cc injectors, easy to get another 044 bosch, and fuel lines which I am certain you can asertain those with out any problems:-) He can street tune it for you :-) But I will warn you that I am not a fan of this kit But it can be built localy and save you a ton of buckaroos!!!!! Hmm as far as Pualie is concerned, there is no way that Sean made his Hp claim! He has a stock fuel system which no way in hell it can make more than 600rwhp without chancing a fuel spike and blowing up your motor! The most I made on my stage four with all the goodies was 570 rwhp at Imagine Auto when it was being dynoed tune. I am certain Sean's car was not making near that much, the car really needed to be tuned to come close to those numbers. I am certain you have seen how much hp can be loss if you Afrs are not dialed in. I bet you a brand new quarter that his car needed to be tuned. I think you will not be happy with any turbo setup unless it is a Gt30. You will run good, but you will be spanked by many of our fellow HPDers! Call Suman at get his turbos, Stephen should work you a good deal since Suman purchased a GT800 tune but is not using it! Good luck and have a boosted new year!
Robert

Old 12-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I had K16s, K24s, and ZC stage 5s... I think they were K16/26.
with that said... there is absolutely nothing wrong with K16/24 hybrids... nor are they prone to failure sooner.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
K16/24 runs fine on K24 software

K24s have noticeably more lag (even on GT2)

Less weight on the GT2 will make the car faster but will NOT reduce lag, In fact, since you go through the gears quicker, one could argue that you get MORE lag on a GT2.

If you have K16s already, look no further than 16/24 upgrade, plug in any K24 flash and enjoy

Finally, if you plan on running K24 or 16/24s you absolutely need wastegates or upgraded wastegate springs. Your car will run fine mechanically, and you can't hurt it, but will not hold consistent boost past 1.1 bar. The difference is HUGE.

I would say 16/24s are better than K24s unless you a do a LOT of high speed cruising. K24s may have slightly more power up top due to reduced backpressure, but the throttle response of the 16/24s make up for it in the midrange. If you tend to cruise under 100 MPH (which you probably do) or do a lot of city driving, get the get 16/24s.

If you think you will want more than 580-600Hp in the future, get the K24s and do the 24/18 upgrade and be ready to go.

Any questions?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-27-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
K16/24 runs fine on K24 software

K24s have noticeably more lag (even on GT2)

Less weight on the GT2 will make the car faster but will NOT reduce lag, In fact, since you go through the gears quicker, one could argue that you get MORE lag on a GT2.

If you have K16s already, look no further than 16/24 upgrade, plug in any K24 flash and enjoy

Finally, if you plan on running K24 or 16/24s you absolutely need wastegates or upgraded wastegate springs. Your car will run fine mechanically, and you can't hurt it, but will not hold consistent boost past 1.1 bar. The difference is HUGE.

I would say 16/24s are better than K24s unless you a do a LOT of high speed cruising. K24s may have slightly more power up top due to reduced backpressure, but the throttle response of the 16/24s make up for it in the midrange. If you tend to cruise under 100 MPH (which you probably do not) or do a lot of city driving, get the get 16/24s.

If you think you will want more than 580-600Hp in the future, get the K24s and do the 24/18 upgrade and be ready to go.

Any questions?
Well with that said, Which turbo would be better for 200mph cruising? Just need to know so he can hang with my Jeeps life style

Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Well one of you guys needs to make up your mind already and buy these 16/24s sitting in my garage. All three of you (Chris, John and Tom) have been so close but haven't jumped. I say we start a bidding war.

Enough of my shameless plug. To answer the question about price, a new pair of K24 turbos will generally cost more than a new pair of K16/24s. All bets are off with used prices. I've seen used hybrids sell for more than new ones and I have seen K24's given away (missed that deal unfortunately). Regarding reliability, I have never heard of a 996TT KKK turbo (OEM or hybrid) going bad. They are highly reliable. Well, I do know of one that was replaced but that was due to a cracked housing from a direct hit in a car accident, so not a failure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 vs k16/24