996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24 vs k16/24

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
K24 vs k16/24

So I'm torn right now on what to choose. I've gone through many threads from the past about it. What are some of the benefits of each one.

Spool time, the install will include a set of ported header regardless of which turbos I go with. Will the lag of a K24 really be THAT bad.

Drag Strip, I understand the K16/24 spools faster, but I've also seen straight K24 cars going 11.0s and 10.9s. Which will mph higher in the 1/4 mile? From a roll I know the K16/24 jumps out, but shouldn't the K24 car pass it because of the extra air it can move, there for make more power?

Heat soak, I've read in the past about that K16/24's have a problem with getting hot. Is this true?

Reliability, The K24 is a standard turbo that has not been modified so it will be less likely to fail (I know anything can happen), but the K16/24 is a modified turbo. Have there been any reports of the hybrid turbos failing?

Price, How much more on the average is a set of K16/24's vs a K24.

Horsepower, Whats the average horsepower for both of them. I know KPG had some crazy numbers, but I'm not that lucky on making power usually. I want to see the average between the two.

The tune will stay with GIAC so any other tunes are out of the question because of the fact I'm not able to spend the extra money to buy ANOTHER tune.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Its a good series of questions, I'm in the same boat myself.

On the lag issue, the hybrids spool faster.....but is it really an issue? GT2 guys will tell you they don't have a lag problem.

$ wise, I think if you shop around you can get similar prices UNLESS you want something more exotic like a zero clearance turbo. The cheaptest k-24s I see regularly are the pair for $2200 on ebay. IA has a set of 16/24 for $1800 (you send your k-16s back).

I'm with you on reliability, I think thats one big reason that Porsche offers k-24s not hybrids although hybrids don't seem to be failure prone. But if you tried to run a large sample number of each to say 50k, my gut feel is that k-24s will be more reliable.

Resale value for the car will also favor k-24s because they are a factory option.

Finally, you need to decide whether you wou will spend more time in the 2500-4500 rev range (0-60 sprints favoring hybrids) or 1/4 mile or langer runs at 4500-6500 rpm. I personally spend more time on the highway cruising in 5th at 3000 rpm and hitting the boost bong for 6-8 seconds, so I think that would favor 16/24s......but I like alot of aspects of the k-24s....see I can't decide either

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Powell - Dont confused a k24 car with a GT2. While the GT2's are k24 cars, but they also weigh like 300lbs less, RWD, no PSM, and a stronger non assisted clutch that is easier to launch. I may be wrong but I dont know of many if any k24 996TT in the 10's(but I know 2 gt2's personally in that range)

I think the general conscenus is that a 16/24 will jump out on a k24 car because they spool faster but the advantage is that they flow just as much on the top end so they stay out ahead. Being as you are a drag racer I think the 16/24 would be more suited for you.

I dont know if GIAC has specific programming for the k16/24 or they just give you the same program as the k24. In my mind - if the dont have specific programming then I would go with the k24s, if not the k16/24 is just to appealing to walk away from.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:20 AM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
Cohare has a very good point, that it is not fair to confuse a GT2 with a k24 TT. I like the idea of hybrid turbos, because you can never have too much power at low RPM's. Boosting at the 2500 rpm range in a k24 TT is freakin awesome.

I have no complaints in regards to lag on my GT2. The monster is already ready to roar!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Great questions, I am doing the same trade's myself. I am leaning towards rebuilding a set of K16's in to K16/K24's, and using the EVOM waste gates (~$1200). Many say you don't even need the better wastegates, and that the stock K16's WG's are plenty strong enough for a hybrid, if so, you can save yourself another $200.
I do however like the resale factor on the K24'S. With some intercoolers, k24's, and a exhaust/header system, you basically have the equivelent of a X50 package for one third the cost, hence increasing your cars value. I think the resale of a hybrid is less appealing, IMHO, and doesn't carry as much clout at time of resale, and we all sell our cars sooner or later.
So, for me, my next step is a set of Hybrids and the K24 tune file while I shop around for a set of K24 for cheap.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris
You are killing me bro! Every time I read your threads I get a stomach ache. You need to sit down with me, Chris and Akram! We can go through all of the pros and cons and actually let you look at turbos from k16, k24, GT28 all the way up to GT35. I have had stages 1,2, 4, gt 640 and GT700 (+). Let me tell you there is no lag with the GT28! I was quite suprised by the responsiveness of my GT35R but you must take into consideration my car is around 3200 pounds and is a 3.8 liter.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
What about K24/26's? Are the prices that much higher for a set of those? I know Oak has them as well as a few others. I did some searches but they did not come up with too much.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by robmd99
Chris
You are killing me bro! Every time I read your threads I get a stomach ache. You need to sit down with me, Chris and Akram! We can go through all of the pros and cons and actually let you look at turbos from k16, k24, GT28 all the way up to GT35. I have had stages 1,2, 4, gt 640 and GT700 (+). Let me tell you there is no lag with the GT28! I was quite suprised by the responsiveness of my GT35R but you must take into consideration my car is around 3200 pounds and is a 3.8 liter.
LOL! Right as I was reading your post I had just sent Akram a text message to call me when he gets out of work tonight.

Trust me.. I'm so torn up about what to pick because I'm on such a limited budget. I did get a nice xmas gift to help me in my turbo search, but I'm sooo torn about what I want. Plus I know my brothers reading this thread and I want to make sure he sees the pro's and con's of each so we can decide.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
The Protomotive k24/18G is a great bang for the buck and sets you up for a 700 in the future with no further turbo swapping. I would look into this as well...

Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
I wonder why no one considers any other compressor for K16 hybrids aside from the K24 wheel? I'm currently having a set of K16/16g hybrids built.
Looking at the compressor maps, it looks like the 16g compressor mops the floor with the K24 compressor in terms of efficiency and flow.
It seems that many approve of the K24/18g hybrids, but no one explored their smaller but less laggy cousin.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by John D
The Protomotive k24/18G is a great bang for the buck and sets you up for a 700 in the future with no further turbo swapping. I would look into this as well...
I love the idea of the K24/18G, but I do not think that GIAC offers a tune for them. I have PM'ed Stephen @ IA for a def. answer on that one just to make sure

Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
OMG ... another hybrid vs K24 thread ... LOL

Everyone had a Merry Christmas, yes?

... subscribed ...

Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
OMG ... another hybrid vs K24 thread ... LOL

Everyone had a Merry Christmas, yes?

... subscribed ...
LOL Yup another thread!!

And Christmas was good. I hope everyone's went well also!!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
I did my research and picked up some used ZC k16/k24 hybrids from a fellow board member, the problem that I have is figuring out which software package to use...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
I did my research and picked up some used ZC k16/k24 hybrids from a fellow board member, the problem that I have is figuring out which software package to use...
You still have the software problem? I was under the impression that its been ironed out by now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24 vs k16/24