996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I got this 5.0bar regulator from EVOMS, but says 4.0 crossed off... normal ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I have been told by a respected tuner that a FPR does not add any HP is that correct ?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
That is correct. What a 5 Bar FPR does is provide the added rail pressure required for cars making more HP thru bigger turbos/upgrades/tune. It allows a tuner to add more available fuel as needed. Without the 5bar FPR you're running the risk of running lean at the rail. A 5bar is only required for those shooting for 550+BHP.

Mike

Old 01-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
A REAL Motorsport 5.0 bar form STRATMOSPHERE (BOB- Board Sponsor) if I recall is 199.00. Please people dont use the crushed 5 bar(real one has 5.0 engraved). Its not nearly as accurate.

S

Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Cough.... I think most would pay the extra $50 on a $25K high HP package. Seems kinda stupid for anyone to be selling something 'crushed' to replicate the proper piece of equipment. The implications for a 'TUNER' to sell such a product are kinda sickening.

In conjunction with this, I was told by EVO that I didn't need a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator on my GT700. I have the stock FPR with the upgraded injectors and fuel line components that came with the kit. Does this make sense or should I have the 5 bar installed vs the stock 3.8? I dont mind spending $200 if it prevents popping a hole in a piston.

Last edited by Zippy; 01-02-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
I was told by EVO that I didn't need a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator on my GT700.
You answered your own ?.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I don't know anything about the evo tune... That said, On race gas we're guessing I'll be at 690-ish BHP. I have a 5 bar FPR.

On a $25K package, I'd expect the vendor to do the right thing by the customer, and NOT crush an inferior FPR to get it to register 5 bar, but that's just me.
Mike

Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
You answered your own ?.
You're saying this is correct then Joe? I have no idea myself - just don't want any major accidents that could have been prevented with a $200 part.

Mike

Old 01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Yup..... the package is no good and they are blowing up left and right.How about we leave the tuning to the tuners so nobody else blows their motor up and then we can actually blame the tuner and make it their fault.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
I have no idea if EVOMS' FPR is a true 5 bar or a modified/"crushed" 4 bar FPR. Likewise, I have no idea if a modified/"crushed" 4 bar FPR performs as well, better or worse than a true 5 bar FPR. That being said, if a tuner is selling a modified/"crushed" 4 bar FPR as a 5 bar FPR, they should disclose this fact. The end user has a right to know that the product they are buying is not a true 5 bar FPR, but rather, a modified/crushed 4 bar FPR. It may not make a difference in terms of performance, but the fact remains that a modified/crushed 4 bar FPR is not a true 5 bar FPR and should not be sold as such. For certain customers, including some who have posted above, the distinction makes a difference and everyone has a right to decide for themselves whether to get a true 5 bar FPR or a modified/"crushed" 4 bar FPR.

Thats my 2 cents.

Regards,

Craig

Old 01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Zippy,

The 5 bar FPR provides too much pressure for the larger injectors at 700 HP. If you go to higher HP, there is a point where it is introduced, but at 700 it causes too much fuel for proper tuning.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Yup..... the package is no good and they are blowing up left and right.How about we leave the tuning to the tuners so nobody else blows their motor up and then we can actually blame the tuner and make it their fault.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by John D
Zippy,

The 5 bar FPR provides too much pressure for the larger injectors at 700 HP. If you go to higher HP, there is a point where it is introduced, but at 700 it causes too much fuel for proper tuning.
John, thanks for your answer.

Mike

Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
porschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of lightporschenaround is a glorious beacon of light
Excellent Answer !!! Thank you as well.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I know at WOT a 5bar will make the car run fatter, but at idle does a 5bar effect how much fuel there is at idle in the car?

Like lets say you had a tune thats not for a 5bar but you have one. At idle and part throttle will it run fatter or will it be the same as it was on the stock FPR? I know at WOT it will be different.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
rico930 is infamous around these parts
powell,
remember what Derek @ TRG said where the fuel trimming in closed loop at light load/throttle will compensate for the extra fuel. This is true but i wonder how much it will have to compensate? If it is too much the PCM will i'm sure throw a code telling this.( not sure, i may be wrong) Another thing we all have to remember is that a correct fuel system is one of the most important design aspects of any performance vehicle. The Porsche fuel pump will lose about 40 #/hr and increase loss as the pressure goes up. This is a characteristic of any pump! Another item to raise an eyebrow is that at aproximately 70 psi ( i believe 72.5psi is 5 bar) the internal pressure relief of the pump is weeping fuel past the bypass..yikes! this says to me it is on the ragged edge! I think a better way to go would be to reduce the psi, up the injector size and provide the necessary fuel needs through the PCM programing. A drop in fuel pressure would actually help the flow of the pump. Some of the stuff we work on at the shop goes well beyond the 2000hp mark and the fuel system and delivery is so critical to the tuning that many of the vehicles go to a mechnical pump for consistancy. Not practicle for us but pretty cool none the less.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got this 5.0bar regulator from EVOMS, but says 4.0 crossed off... normal ?