996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Running two different turbo's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
Running two different turbo's

Has anyone tried running a K16/K24 Hybrid on the left, and a K24 on the right? In essence, getting less lag and more top end, sorta a blended approach for mid-powered cars. I imagine the tune file could be the same for both turbos.

I hope I don't get shalacked for asking this

Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
Huh? Each turbo serves up half the cylinders...

Old 12-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Brutish is infamous around these parts
I think it's an interesting question - seems like it would make for very weird and unbalanced performance. For the record, I know exactly enough about this kind of stuff to make a fool of myself. Tom - I'll down with you on this one if necessary.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Hi Brian,

Nice to hear from you again. Good point.

Zuma,

No paint products at all in my response. Just don't see the statement as plausible.

To accomplish what you are speaking about without totally unbalancing the engine banks would probably take a series application of the turbos and not a parallel one. I've not read of that being done but I am new to the forum and also to Porsche tt's.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
It should work. The pressurized intakes diverge before hitting the engine, so airflow reading will not be an issue.

How about a K24 and K24/18G?

The only Issue I see may be slightly different back pressure on the left vs right exhaust.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-28-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Tom,
I think Porsche did this with their 959, but the technology was far too expensive to make it practical. The smaller one spooled up and once it left it's efficiency range, it cut off and the larger one came on. My understanding is the plumbing and electronics for this application was off the chart. Of course if I'm wrong I'll sound like an idiot.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:23 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Onetime
Tom,
I think Porsche did this with their 959, but the technology was far too expensive to make it practical. The smaller one spooled up and once it left it's efficiency range, it cut off and the larger one came on. My understanding is the plumbing and electronics for this application was off the chart. Of course if I'm wrong I'll sound like an idiot.
the rx-7 used this concept and made a sequential setup... the problem with this became ridiculous amounts of vaccuum lines.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
For the record, my car has less lag and more mid-top end with the K24/18g's than it had with the K16/24's, so there is an easy way to accomplish this...

If you want more power and less lag than a K16/24 offers, then go with the Protomotive 700 level package. The turbos spool instantly and on street tires you will run 11 flat to 11.2's all day long, while trapping at low to mid 130's . Exceptional runs will put you solidly in the 10's. Lag is not a concern with this package and the throttle response is phenomenal.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:31 PM
fastoc996twint is infamous around these parts
i think the new ford deasels are runing this set up....

Old 12-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Speedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fastoc996twint
i think the new ford deasels are runing this set up....
They are running a sequential set up, Zuma is not refering to a sequential set up...

Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I agree, I think the 959 ran a sequential setup with a big and small turbo in the mix. Funny, I was thinking about asking this question myself awhile ago, but then forgot all about it. I can think of two problems immediately:

1. Adjusting air/fuel and timing for different boost pressures and the onset of boost. The programming would be off the chart. You could just run it rich, but it wouldn't be an optimal tune.
2. Adjusting boost for each turbo seperately. The smaller turbo won't necessarily be able to run at the same pressure, however I think a Profec could handle the task.

Good question!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
You shouldn't mismatch the turbos. They are in parallel and need to be equivalent for each engine bank. If you designed headers where all6 of the exhaust pipes ran into a common collector it could be done, but hugely inefficient and physically large for the rear engined flat 6. The TT Supra, TT RX-7 and the new Ford PowerStoke have their turbos in series. BTW, the factory Supra and RX-7 are have an equivalent pair of twin turbos (instead of small/large) but are setup sequentially.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
rs4fast is infamous around these parts
I think Sound Performance in Chicago just finished a set up like you are talking about on a Supra. I know there are a lot of differences between a 996 tt and a supra, but it might be worth giving them a call to get their thoughts

Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
what a funny guy. lol..

Old 12-30-2007, 12:27 AM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
You shouldn't mismatch the turbos. They are in parallel and need to be equivalent for each engine bank. If you designed headers where all6 of the exhaust pipes ran into a common collector it could be done, but hugely inefficient and physically large for the rear engined flat 6. The TT Supra, TT RX-7 and the new Ford PowerStoke have their turbos in series. BTW, the factory Supra and RX-7 are have an equivalent pair of twin turbos (instead of small/large) but are setup sequentially.
yeah i was wondering why they did it since all it did was add a lot of vaccuum lines and most people preferred the non-sequential setup.