996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My UMW Race Exhaust for sale (pics, vids)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:09 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
My UMW Race Exhaust for sale $3200

I am demodding my car and will put it up for sale in late January. I've already sold my UMW stage 2 kit, ported headers, boost hoses, PSS9s, and Pagid pads. I have absolutely no complaints about this exhaust - it's everything I wanted it to be!

This UMW Race Exhaust is serial number 2, sure to become a collector's item! It features:
- CNC machined 1/2" thick stainless steel flanges
- 130 mm diameter 100 cell HJS racing cats imported from Germany
- 5" to 3" cat cones with a gentle taper
- 3" stainless steel tubing throughout (that's 76mm, not the more common 70mm)
- 3" ultra-light weight stainless steel mufflers that are easily repackable
- Hidden center mount (it's strapless!)
- Provision for 4 factory O2 sensors plus 2 additional bungs for dyno widebands
- all TIG welded construction
- 30 pounds in 2 muffler configuration according to my bathroom scale
- muffler configuration can be changed in 10 minutes without raising the car

The exhaust is off the the car and ready to ship. It includes the 4 muffler configuration and the 2 muffler configuration. Here is a not-moving video of Kevin's serial number 1:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jFxp266G7eo

Here is a video of my car with serial number 2 in 2 muffler configuration doing fly bys:

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...heExhaust1.flv

Here is a pic of serial number 1 in the 4 muffler configuration. Note that my lower mufflers are 2" shorter, which puts the tips closer to the tallest part of the opening in the rear bumper:

Here is a pic of my car with the 4 muffler configuration installed:

Here is a pic of the 130mm diameter (5.1") HJS 100 cell cats. These buggers are amazingly expensive, closing in on $1000/pair. They also set this exhaust apart from most of the others, which use smaller cats.

Here's a plan view of serial number 1 before it was fully welded. Note that serial number 1 has a 1" siameze (1" of the U-bend is sliced off) whereas my serial number 2 has a 3/4" siameze, which makes it a bit less of an "X":

A kinda crummy pic of the 2 muffler configuration:

Another kinda crummy pic of my serial number 2 4-muffler configuration:

Time and materials to build this exhaust ran $3500 (no joke, I have receipts!), but I'm only asking $3200. There is nothing out there that sounds better. PM if interested.

Jeff

Last edited by MidnighTT; 01-10-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: changed price
Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Spectacular sound.

MK

Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I wondering if more guys would be interested in this exhaust if it was polished. The local guy who polished my HRE lips could make it shine, but I don't want to waste the $$ if guys don't really care.

If it's the lack of tips, I'll have my fabricator buddy whip up a pair of intersecting circles like the optional factory tips. Please PM me if you think either of those changes would change your mind on the system.

Regarding location of the outlets, they can easily be moved closer together or farther apart.

Jeff

Jeff

Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
This thing sounds amazing! I'm surprised it hasnt been picked up yet.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Given all the praise this exhaust generated here and on Rennlist, I'm truly amazed that I haven't received a solid offer. I'm guessing that you guys really want some kind of jazzy tip, and you don't want to deal with having that done. So I'm going to do it for you! The plan is to go with the intersecting circle design of the optional factory tips, like these:

Is there another design you guys would prefer? I want to get this right!

Jeff

Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
God I love the melody this exhaust emits, especially with Kevins setup, good luck!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
ondadl is infamous around these parts
exhaust

would you bewilling to let it go for 2500 i could pick it up to day

Old 01-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Uhmmm, no, but thanks for asking. I challenge you to duplicate this system as described in post #1 for less than $3500 (including both 2-muffler and 4-muffler configurations). Or buy a new one from UMW for $3500 when Kevin releases it. Or buy the similar GMG system for $3500 (oh, wait, they don't offer the 4-muffler configuration). This is an excellent deal!

Jeff

Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
ondadl is infamous around these parts
exhaust

Burns stainless mufflers costs 250 ea piping 500-700 cats 300-400-ea and just have too put it together where do you get 3500 in just parts

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't recall saying the $3500 was just for parts. Using the high end of your numbers, which works out about right (you left out the 1/2" thick CNC'd stainless flanges, cat cones [the cats don't come with cones], 6 O2 bungs, and your cat cost is a little low), leaves $1000 for all the fabrication. Do you think you can lay out this system, cut all the pipes, tack it, fit it, re-tack it, re-fit it, create the mounting brackets, and TIG weld (including back purge) all those joints for $1000? Even at an unrealistically cheap labor rate of $60/hr, that's only 16 hours of work. Good luck creating it in that time frame!

The reality is that there are three 14-16 hour days in this system. Go for it!

Jeff

Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 AM
996TurboOnMaui is infamous around these parts
But it's used, correct? Or am I missing something?

Originally Posted by MidnighTT
Uhmmm, no, but thanks for asking. I challenge you to duplicate this system as described in post #1 for less than $3500 (including both 2-muffler and 4-muffler configurations). Or buy a new one from UMW for $3500 when Kevin releases it. Or buy the similar GMG system for $3500 (oh, wait, they don't offer the 4-muffler configuration). This is an excellent deal!

Jeff

Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TurboOnMaui
But it's used, correct? Or am I missing something?
You are... a nice exhaust that is.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
996TurboOnMaui is infamous around these parts
LOL...soooo funny.

My point is how can someone expect to get what they paid for something new when it's clearly used? We're talking about an exhaust...a muffler...not diamonds. If you're going to spend $3,500 on a used exhaust, you might as well buy a set of europipes - LOUD.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Economics 101...supply/demand. If it has not sold yet, it is because it is priced too high or that one person who wants it doesn't know it is there.

My opinion, it needs a better visual (tips)..... If I had the funds, I would buy it. I am of the opinion that an exhaust should be way cheap in general.....but that is my bias based on my reality. I love the sounds it makes and Kevin's work/skill is as good as it gets. I have no doubts on that score.

Good luck. Get the tips and it will sell.

JB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My UMW Race Exhaust for sale (pics, vids)