996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Very unimpressed by 996tt brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 AM
996TurboOnMaui is infamous around these parts
I had the same feeling coming from my E90 330i. I always absolutely loved the brakes on the 335i and felt that too much pressure was necessary to be applied to the brakes. Once I became accustomed to my 996tt's brakes, I realized that IMHO Porsche's are far superior to BMW's just a different feel.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
TriplBlack996TT is infamous around these parts
I had the same impression coming from my m3 zcp to my new porsche - the pcar doesn't seem to have that same "bite" even with my 8-piston brembo's - believe me i can stop on a dime but it's almost sneaky stopping power if that makes sense . . . of course you could spend 18k and get some ceramics

Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I personally loved the totally stock TT brakes even on the streets of willow, where brakes get worked hard. They worked just as well as the M3 brakes, keep in mind that the TT had TWICE the torque and almost TWICE the HP.

This is isn't really an apples to oranges comparison. The brakes have to be better on the TT to perform as well.

The TT has a much firmer feel. Much more miata like.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 AM
TriplBlack996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ari
keep in mind that the TT had TWICE the torque and almost TWICE the HP.
The man does have a point there . . . esp for my 600 hp whip . . . well said.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
Update:

I had the front driveshaft put back on the car to make it AWD again. When the car was RWD, it was so much more fun to drive. But, I found that without the front driveshaft installed, the car would engage the ABS when braking at completely inappropriate times. Very light application of the brake pedal would cause the ABS to kick in, even though the asphalt was dry, and clean. The hyper-sensitive ABS problem has gone away now that I am AWD again.

I miss the lighter steering effort and the ability to steer with the rear tires that the RWD conversion provides, but the ABS problem negated the benefits of RWD. Maybe when I can do it "right" with a proper suspension, etc. I might experiment again with RWD.

With that said, I still hate the brakes. ABS still engages way too much, in my opinion. I think that is why I feel the car doesn't stop well....instead of the brakes actually clamping down and slowing the car, they are fluttering and pulsating away. It seems odd that a car with this much rubber on the ground can seemingly try to lock the wheels up with such ease.

I've been considering a brake upgrade to some sort of 6-piston brakes from a GT2, GT3, or 997tt, but I don't think that is the answer to my problem. Wouldn't a bigger caliper with more pistons just give the brakes even more power, thus activating the ABS even easier?

Could there be some sort of electronic problem with the car that is activating the ABS too early/often?

I'm confused.....what do I do? This supercar I'm driving sure doesn't stop like one should!

Thanks for reading my rambling post and for any more input you all may have to offer.

Rob

Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
mose55 is infamous around these parts
ArcticSilver...have you had a good shop check your brakes out? What you are describing does not sound normal. I have stock rotors and Pagid race pads on my 2003 996tt and mpsc's...unless I am really cooking around the track, I am not triggereing the ABS and the car slows down pretty violently

Good luck...

Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
I am going to follow your advice and get the car to the dealer to have things looked at.

When I test drove the car before purchase, I noticed that the brakes didn't make my jaw drop. I figured it just needed pads and fluid, so I purchased the car and promptly changed the brakes with new OE pads and new Motul brake fluid.......that didn't help though.

It sounds weird to say, but I do hope there is something wrong with my car. hahaha. We'll see what the dealer says.

Rob

Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 AM
robinh20mrv is infamous around these parts
hi m8,

i was not impressed with the brakes on my 996 turbo so i fitted GT2 calipers fitted with pagid yellow pads, aeroquip hoses and dot 5.1 fluid, and on the rear i fitted new std discs and ferodo pads and found a huge improvement,

though saying that the whole lot is coming off again as i have just bought ceramics! again with six pots on the front,

much better!!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:09 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Are you selling the Yellow pads Robin?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I like the stock units....but I have not "raced" the car ever.

JCB

Old 02-16-2008, 06:28 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
JCB, with the 6pot caliper a good pad and decent fluid, they are night and day!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yup, the OEM 4 piston 320mm units are overcome by heat if you don't give moderate initial braking and then squeeze progressively harder...

I found that brake cooling ducts (and NOT the cheesy OEM junk), high temp fluid (SRF or RBF) and proper thickness pagid yellows all around worked well. I still have to bleed the system before each weekend, but when it's right, you can't beat it.

Now that I've gone the GT3 caliper/350mm slotted rotor, and the 350mm rear rotor soon to be retrofitted, I hope to have no further concerns about brake failure.

Pics of my cooling ducts:

Mike

Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
ABS still engages way too much, in my opinion. I think that is why I feel the car doesn't stop well....instead of the brakes actually clamping down and slowing the car, they are fluttering and pulsating away. It seems odd that a car with this much rubber on the ground can seemingly try to lock the wheels up with such ease.
Rob, What tires are you running and I would assume you've verified your tire pressure is set properly?

I don't experience any of the symptoms you speak of - and the only time ABS engages for me is when needed

Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RPM
i feel the complete opposite form you...i feel that my M3 and my MB's for that matter are way too sensitive. sensitive in the sense that there is a lot of pedal travel until the brakes are about to bite and then all of a sudden it stops too abruptly. i agree that the M3 and the MB throw you into the seatbelt but i believe it does for the wrong reason...they are unable to be modulated easily with the ball of your foot. on the other hand, i feel that the stock brakes on my 993 fell much stronger than the big reds!

Ross
+1.

Porsche breaks are soft to start with but if you stomp on them they will stop quicker and stronger than BMW M3. I actually hate that on/off brake BMW and Audis have. What needs to be understood is that only the perception is different. Porsche has racing brakes and they are designed with FEEL in mind. Soft, moderate and full on. Next time you brake, put your foot on hard and antilock will swiftly say hello. Main difference is also that 3 stops from 160mph to 80mph on the highway and BMW brake pedal sinks by an inch. Just get used to it.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Please let me know when the GT2 stuff comes off your car....I'm a buyer!

Thanks,

Rob

Originally Posted by robinh20mrv
hi m8,

i was not impressed with the brakes on my 996 turbo so i fitted GT2 calipers fitted with pagid yellow pads, aeroquip hoses and dot 5.1 fluid, and on the rear i fitted new std discs and ferodo pads and found a huge improvement,

though saying that the whole lot is coming off again as i have just bought ceramics! again with six pots on the front,

much better!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very unimpressed by 996tt brakes