996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Very unimpressed by 996tt brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
yeah, Tires are all new Michelin Pilot Sports with the pressures set according to Porsche's suggestion in the manual.

????

Rob

Originally Posted by Rich in Almaden
Rob, What tires are you running and I would assume you've verified your tire pressure is set properly?

I don't experience any of the symptoms you speak of - and the only time ABS engages for me is when needed

Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 AM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
What I am afraid I am going to *feel* is an impact when the car doesn't stop.

I'm not talking about track failures, boiling the fluid, getting the brakes up to temp, etc....

I am talking about my commute to work or out to dinner and having an "oh ****" moment and needing to use my brakes. The car just flat out has **** for brakes.

The other day I had an 18-wheeler all of a sudden merge into my lane. The car to the right of me saw it happen too. We both braked at seemingly the same time. Guess what? The POS Lexus next to me ended up in my rear view mirror while my car kept on going with the ABS system fully active and in ABS "assistance" mode. The only thing that saved my car from being squashed was the fact that the lexus stopped and I was able to swerve into the lane that he had just occupied to my right.

My individual car must have something wrong with it. Surely you guys all can't have the same brake "performance" as I do.

Rob

Originally Posted by Terminator
+1.

Porsche breaks are soft to start with but if you stomp on them they will stop quicker and stronger than BMW M3. I actually hate that on/off brake BMW and Audis have. What needs to be understood is that only the perception is different. Porsche has racing brakes and they are designed with FEEL in mind. Soft, moderate and full on. Next time you brake, put your foot on hard and antilock will swiftly say hello. Main difference is also that 3 stops from 160mph to 80mph on the highway and BMW brake pedal sinks by an inch. Just get used to it.

Last edited by ArcticSilver; 02-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:10 PM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
Are you sure the rotors and pads are on the correct side of the car? What is the bleeding sequence you are doing to bleed the brakes and are you bleeding the clutch in the process?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
CSD952 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver

I'm not talking about track failures, boiling the fluid, getting the brakes up to temp, etc....

I am talking about my commute to work or out to dinner and having an "oh ****" moment and needing to use my brakes. The car just flat out has **** for brakes.

The other day I had an 18-wheeler all of a sudden merge into my lane. The car to the right of me saw it happen too. We both braked at seemingly the same time. Guess what? The POS Lexus next to me ended up in my rear view mirror while my car kept on going with the ABS system fully active and in ABS "assistance" mode. The only thing that saved my car from being squashed was the fact that the lexus stopped and I was able to swerve into the lane that he had just occupied to my right.

My individual car must have something wrong with it. Surely you guys all can't have the same brake "performance" as I do.

Rob

The ABS won't come on unless it thinks the front and rear wheels are turning at different rates. Stronger (GT3 etc) brakes won't affect the ABS coming on when it shouldn't so upgrading would be a waste of money until you fix the basic problem. However a bad signal, bad ABS unit, bad tires or brake proportioning value will. MPS2's should not slip too much under street conditions that isn't the problem. That leads to bad ABS system or the tires really are spinning at different rates. You said you had new tires, but what sizes are they? Are they stock sizes with same rolling diameter?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I think you have a serious problem somewhere, could be something small or something big, get it to a shop and have them go thru every component.I would hate to read anything happened to you.I had a similar problem with one of my older C2's, it ended up being the master cylinder.I don't know if the two cars issues are the same but it did take Porsche a while to track down the problem.They changed almost everything before they decided to go with the master...it was warranty. Keep us in the loop On this one, I for one am very curious to see what it was.....it is something for sure.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 PM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
Hi Artic,
My brakes are stock and do not behave in the manner you describe- at all. In fact, I feel the ABS adjustment is good- it kicks in when I absolutely need it to and while the brakes aren't grabby, they stop the car very well and in a very linear manner. I have an M3 too- and these brakes in my opinion ares simply better- and I love the M3. Yes, the M3 makes lets you know they are grabbing. My 996tt slows you down without the fanfare. If I were you, I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that I needed to upgrade or add bunch of stuff to my car based solely on your description. I think there is something wrong with your system; hopefully something cheap and simple that perhaps uncoupling the front drive has unearthed.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver

Rob
I am puzzled that your ABS came on. This usually happens on wet road or very slippery surface. I think there is something wrong with your system. Take it for a thorough check-up. My Porsche takes my breath away when fully on the anchors at any speed.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 AM
fgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of light
Hello there, Had some issues with my brakes when I bought my stock 996 TT. First I ll upgrade with lines, fluids, Pagid 421 black on front and orange on the back, noisy, but damn efficient..next step is an upgrade to Brembo 355 or 380 MM with 6 or 8 Pistons calipers, and if you want to get THE must, GTR Brembo system...then it will stop on the spot...but @ 15 G the system...anyway, porsche brakes are a must, just depend how you ll drive, and which power on it..

Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
PCCB's.........the best brakes I have ever felt.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 AM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
articsilver: initially i was going to tell you CHECK TIRES. just noticed you did. i hated these brakes so much, but changed tires recently and the car does stop better. unfortunately its too cold to really test (here in NY) so im waiting untill it warms up so i can conclude if these brakes are fine..finally.
HOW cold is it in london when you are testing. im assuming its cold. this will obviously (especially running MPS2 summer tires) feel like you are skidding forward abit, since the tires are in fact too cold. also, are you stabbing the pedal? if so, from my experience with this car, stabbing + cold = the sensation you are describing.

i know when i stab the pedal i get the same pulsating unsettling, not-stopping sensation, in a strait line...
just like others have said try to press on it medium, then gradually press harder.

i would still get this checked by a good shop that can diagnose if ABS is doing its job well.
i know once its gets warmer, ill run some tests. if brakes arent what i think they should be ill take it in to porsche.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
Another suggestion: If the dealer or mechanic you are going to can't figure it out - go to another one. There is something wrong with your brakes, lines, abs or something. Just take a look at the braking numbers from ANY published review on the car- that is how they are supposed to stop.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:30 AM
robinh20mrv is infamous around these parts
my std 996 turbo brakes were not good enough for me so i upgraded to the GT2 brakes and they are much better but the std brakes were fine, no problems like you seem to have, sounds like there is something VERY wrong and i would change garages fast if they cant fix it.

cheers robin.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
jt2
jt2 is infamous around these parts
I've also come from an E46 M3, and have noticed that the brake "feel" isn't as firm. Once you get past that, the braking power is there.

However, I too have noticed that the ABS seems to kick in earlier than I'd think, but it is in the front. I just wrote it off to weight distribution.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
something is wrong with your car or the other car in your garage is an rs spyder...

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
something is wrong with your car or the other car in your garage is an rs spyder...
+1

but

The only car that has seriously outbraked mine was a 996 GT3 on R6's.