996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Nordschleife...Looks like are days are numbered for some of us anyway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Thought it best post on here as we have had discussions about possible meet and also posted in Euro section. I don't think everyone on Euro section posts in here!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Trevor Ely
If you're serious about making a trip to the Nürburgring, you oughta try out one of the Ring rentals ( http://www.rent-racecar.de/ ). Most of these vehicles are equipped for the abuse, and you don't have to worry about potentially burying your precious 996 into a wall.
How much is it to rent out the Cayman S? Unfortunately I only know Polish, English, and Spanish

Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned
Trevor Ely is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Maciej@RPM
How much is it to rent out the Cayman S? Unfortunately I only know Polish, English, and Spanish

http://www.rent-racecar.de/gb/preise2007.html

As mentioned, not especially cheap, but still less expensive than shipping your car overseas only to ball it up on the Nordschleife!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
$1200 a day for the Cayman. I called back in July. My brother and I are finalizing a trip for June '08. 3 days around the Ring

Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 AM
datax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud ofdatax has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Agree, you can thrash the *** of them, but they are very expensive and even more if you have a prang with one of them, lol
Yup, I wrecked one of their cars last year and bill came out quite shocking. It's more expensive than round trip shipping cost of my car (in US) over to germany because they over charged you for damage to the track, car, tow, clean up crew, etc etc. Just like over here, rental car companies over charged you $5 a gallon for gas if you don't fill up before returning the car. It's worst there. It's almost as if you wrecked the M3 GTR (but no, it's freakin 328!!!!)

Here are some pics,

Note to myself, Nordschleife in the rain (semi wet) is VERY dangerous!!!

Last edited by datax; 01-06-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Dodo is infamous around these parts
As said before, The TUV conformance seems to apply to German registered cars only. However, they have increased the inspections around the car park and at the entry barriers already in 2007. For example, I have been denied acces in September because of start numbers on the car windows, lexan windows (TUV approved version is available which I've installed now), non-level racing hood locks (pedestrian protection?) etc. although the car had passed the yearly TUV equivalent inspection in the Netherlands (another EU country).

On the exhaust noise, 95 dB is the official limit but they check against 100dB when they're suspicious. If you stay quiet in the parking lot, you can probably get away with a bit more.

In summary, no need to panic yet but one should noy go overboard with mods if investing in a yearly subscription card.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:44 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by datax
Yup, I wrecked one of their cars last year and bill came out quite shocking. It's more expensive than round trip shipping cost of my car (in US) over to germany because they over charged you for damage to the track, car, tow, clean up crew, etc etc. Just like over here, rental car companies over charged you $5 a gallon for gas if you don't fill up before returning the car. It's worst there. It's almost as if you wrecked the M3 GTR (but no, it's freakin 328!!!!)

Here are some pics,

Note to myself, Nordschleife in the rain (semi wet) is VERY dangerous!!!

LMFAO, I bet you loved doing that though!

I remember a few of our guys went early in morning, found conditions at the start ok, half way round it was raining and also fog pockets forming, very dangerous as the track has no run off whatsoever!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by Dodo
As said before, The TUV conformance seems to apply to German registered cars only. However, they have increased the inspections around the car park and at the entry barriers already in 2007. For example, I have been denied acces in September because of start numbers on the car windows, lexan windows (TUV approved version is available which I've installed now), non-level racing hood locks (pedestrian protection?) etc. although the car had passed the yearly TUV equivalent inspection in the Netherlands (another EU country).

On the exhaust noise, 95 dB is the official limit but they check against 100dB when they're suspicious. If you stay quiet in the parking lot, you can probably get away with a bit more.

In summary, no need to panic yet but one should noy go overboard with mods if investing in a yearly subscription card.
Thanks Dodo, I just hope it all works out ok! don't want to see us travelling all that way from UK just to be turned away, and you know how many guys turn up their from the UK.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by c2mojo
$1200 a day for the Cayman. I called back in July. My brother and I are finalizing a trip for June '08. 3 days around the Ring
Enjoy, i'm sure you will have fun

Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Gusagain is infamous around these parts
Looking at the big picture, these rules are being inforced for their protection and ours. A lot of people bring in their cup cars. These cars are not road legal and I think the rules are enforced to bring down the speeds. Simply put, if your car is not road legal, you will be turned away.

Sure it is a road course that is privately owned and the safetly of all is their main concern. The crowds have grown beyond belief in the 2 years I have been attending.

The new sound rules confuse my though. The Ring holds race events numerous times a year, so yea you would think the locals would be use to this???

Perhaps the Ring organizers should instead implement times for bikes to run seperate from cars, and also maybe even seperate the high HP cars from the other cars????

I hope this doesn't raise the prices again.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gusagain
Perhaps the Ring organizers should instead implement times for bikes to run seperate from cars, and also maybe even seperate the high HP cars from the other cars????
Totally agree with this point, insane that bikes are on at the same time.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
So now it seems like this:

If you want to drive seriously on the Ring, you have to attend to special track days and events ($$$ of course...)

In the past it was possible to drive very fast when there was less traffic in weekdays and mornings etc.

Now the whole Ring thing has become so popular that during Touristenfahrten (Tourist driving) it's just better to chill and take few easy laps I think...too many vehicles out there.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kaizu
So now it seems like this:

If you want to drive seriously on the Ring, you have to attend to special track days and events ($$$ of course...)

In the past it was possible to drive very fast when there was less traffic in weekdays and mornings etc.

Now the whole Ring thing has become so popular that during Touristenfahrten (Tourist driving) it's just better to chill and take few easy laps I think...too many vehicles out there.
Hey K

You coming to Spa with us? did you get that pm?

S

Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Hey K

You coming to Spa with us? did you get that pm?

S
Not sure yet! (got the pm)

Probably not though... I'm arranging myself some track days in Finland + the "compulsory" Ring trip(s) so I doubt I've got the time for Spa...not in the spring at least. Will inform you when I know the Ring dates so hope then a meet!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kaizu
Not sure yet! (got the pm)

Probably not though... I'm arranging myself some track days in Finland + the "compulsory" Ring trip(s) so I doubt I've got the time for Spa...not in the spring at least. Will inform you when I know the Ring dates so hope then a meet!
Yip, will meet at the Ring, just hope we get on, lol