996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First "REAL" impressions of my UMW tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fastoc996twint
Who Sells Umw Tune? Ball Park Range?
Call Kevin at UMW 360.805.9066 Pacific time, $2K plus (2)FedEx next days and tax.
I loaded mine yesterday with k16s/diverters, Fabspeed-fast with better than stock drive-ability.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
I doubt your anywhere near the limit of the rail. Drop an injector in and have it tuned!
What is the hp (crank) limit of the stock rails? It was suggested I do the rails and injectors...

I'm running hybrids BTW

Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rolfjahn
Call Kevin at UMW 360.805.9066 Pacific time, $2K plus (2)FedEx next days and tax.
I loaded mine yesterday with k16s/diverters, Fabspeed-fast with better than stock drive-ability.

Hey you can get custom tunes in the NE for less then that.

S

Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Highhats
Hey you can get custom tunes in the NE for less then that.

S
Been down this road before...and with UMW (Kevin)you get a migration path for upgrading to more power, support from a guy who designs and builds turbos/engines for Pcars for a living, a solid track record that is well documented on this forum. All this is MHO.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I had local tuners to use as well. I had more need to get support at a level more indepth than the conversations I was having with the local and other vendors, so I went with Kevin.

Let me also clarify something else... I'm not interested in making more Hp, and I'm not interested in 1/4 mile times. I'm not a drag racer. I do a LOT of roadcourse events, and what matters most to me, first and foremost is that the car is running at the top level, at the safest tune possible. I believe I'm there now... I'll do some datalogging when we put the car on the dyno and post the data.

Mike

Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
The car may have had enough fuel to support 510 hps, but you were WELL out of injector at that point. The injector was most certainly at 100% duty cycle...with injector duty cycle this high, the ecu has absolutely no fueling control.
Nerd, I want your opinion on what an ideal build is. Based on what all the popular builders are offering for 650HP kits, I see ZERO upgrades in those packages to get to 650CRANK HP. Show me a 650 Brake HP package from any of the vendors that improve the fuel system beyond a an FPR, because my search hasn't found one...

I'm all ears...

Mike

Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree...the tune in the UMW package is perhaps the best tune. Based on threads, my giac/proto/fvd time in the seats of friends and with them in my car....all feel the UMW has more "umph"....probably usable torque. It seems less peaky. I doubt a comparison test will ever happen, but if it did, my dollars for my k16 stock fuel system tune is on UMW.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:09 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Whoever it was that suggested patience and graduated boost breaking in the ZC turbos is exactly right. The good news for me is that I am purchasing this setup used from Midnight tt who is also selling the UMW exhaust. I think he is going to a different vehicle as he likes to tune them himself and the TT is not a good car to try this with. He is very meticulous and the turbos have already been broken in! Probably have around 5000 miles on them or so. I should have them tommorow I hope and can start reinstalling. I am adding a tru bosch5 bar FPR and the agency power boost hoses he had as well. My headers were already ported (by me) and I picked up a used europipe 2 quiet some time ago. I also had some blown six intercoolers previously added as I new sooner or later I would be upgrading. I am hoping to be VERY satisfied with how the car drives and runs. May not be the absolute most for stock fueling but I too expect trouble free usable torque with instant throttle response. Thanks Mikelly for your install post of the 5 bar.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Nerd, I want your opinion on what an ideal build is. Based on what all the popular builders are offering for 650HP kits, I see ZERO upgrades in those packages to get to 650CRANK HP. Show me a 650 Brake HP package from any of the vendors that improve the fuel system beyond a an FPR, because my search hasn't found one...

I'm all ears...

Mike
Mike,
I don't think Tony was criticizing your setup. If anything, I think he was suggesting a way to make even more power. At 510 to the wheels (which is my goal with my build) the injectors are maxed out and you might as well be running a carburated car at WOT because they are just pouring as fast as they can. Just because other vendors aren't running fueling kits at that HP level doesn't mean that that car won't run better/stronger with better fuel control (more timing without leaning out). With more injector, I bet Kevin could wring even more power out of that beast of yours.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I was just reading MotorTrend last night while taking care of "business" (I'm sure ya'll wanted to hear that) and I noticed that the 1/4 of a C6ZO6 is 12.3 or something rather ... not sure how accurate that was though.

Oh, and for the record, I've had my UMW Stg 2 ZC for quite a while now..and I'm loving it ... spool up is pretty much instantaneous ...

A lil birdie did whisper in my ear that Stage 3 and 4 spools up even faster ...

Originally Posted by silver
Dude!
Now you've got me jonesing. My UMW 2zc should be here any day. At least the turbos, the loader has to go back to him and then back to me so a few more days to wait. I am anxiuos to see this newfound torque. I know there are many faster but this should be safe, sustainable, predictable and quick. It seems funny how other cars that claim more RWP have trouble with porsches from a roll. I will keep ya'll posted on some 1/4 times when its all together. KPG and JohnD set the bar around 11.5 et and 126-129mph. I know thats chump for some but most production cars are over 300-500K other than the c6z06 to run this quick. Hope the weather is letting ya'll drive. We had 70 degrees today but it's dropping again to freezing at night by the weekend. I am ready to drive in the COLD mornings.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I thought the GT700 snails have K16 turbines??

Originally Posted by ari
I think we're saying the same thing. I'm not sure 16/24s can support much more than 600 crank. The 16 hot side has even more back pressure than the 24 hot side.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
If I don't get the "Jelly of the Month" for a bonus this year, I may look into Kevin of UMW's Stage 2B turbo's.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Stage 2B or 3B? I didnt know he had a Stage 2B ...

Originally Posted by TXGold
If I don't get the "Jelly of the Month" for a bonus this year, I may look into Kevin of UMW's Stage 2B turbo's.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Just released. Check out turboflatsix.com for more information. Basically it's a turbo that allows an upgrade path to the Stage 3 A or B package.

Last edited by TXGold; 01-10-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: badd grammeer
Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Mike,
I don't think Tony was criticizing your setup. If anything, I think he was suggesting a way to make even more power. At 510 to the wheels (which is my goal with my build) the injectors are maxed out and you might as well be running a carburated car at WOT because they are just pouring as fast as they can. Just because other vendors aren't running fueling kits at that HP level doesn't mean that that car won't run better/stronger with better fuel control (more timing without leaning out). With more injector, I bet Kevin could wring even more power out of that beast of yours.
I'm not saying he's criticizing the setup, but he commented on it not making the power we're seeing based on lack of fuel system upgrades. My comments are more of a question about which companies are adding fuel injection components beyond a 5bar FPR to their 640-650HP kits! I personally don't know of any, and wanted to know what I'm missing...

Don't get me wrong, I'll spend more money on higher rate injectors if they're needed, or better rails if needed. Point is with my custom UMW tune and Hybrib K16/24 setup, I believe I'm at 650 Crank HP or darned close. I may be maxed out on injector capacity, who knows. All I know is it runs phenomenally!

Mike