996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

dgi exhaust and maxspeed exhaust 70mm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:04 PM
RG955TT is infamous around these parts
[quote=CaptPegLeg;1681656]Just installed my speedtech system yesterday. The fitment was ok but the holes in the flanges could use a little relief so you could adjust the mufflers. My driver side was 3/4" lower than passenger side.

Thanks for the info John, but what about Captpegleg's issue? This is at least the second person who has complained that the fitment was off between the two sides...3/4" is quite a lot and certainly would be very noticable at the rear of the car.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
The holes in the flanges do need opening up a bit. I had to do this on my Maxspeed. It is simple to do but would have been a lot better knowing before hand that it needed to be done. For me the passenger side hung down a bit lower.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
RG955TT,

A few of the exhausts have been off a little when installed. Many, including mine, have been fine. We feel it is related to the variation in header/turbo mounting from side to side and not the exhaust itself. Regardless, since this is a potential issue with each install, we have decided to enlarge the mounting flange holes to make the exhaust more adaptable/adjustable to a variety of cars and prevent this issue going forward. This is a very simple and quick thing to do at the time of installation, as well - but will not be neccessary from here on, since all exhausts shipped as of tomorrow will be delivered with the enlarged holes for flexibility of alignment height during installation. I hope I have answered your question.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Try getting this kind of customer satesfaction elsewhere...

John, you're awesome man!

Mike

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Dumb question, but are new gaskets required when installing a new exhaust?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
DRH,

Not a dumb question. I have changed out my exhuast system (4) times
and have never replaced any gaskets. This time I am replacing every gasket and every nut (and I have complete list if anyone needs the Porsche part numbers).

Marty

Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Marty,
You are wise to replace the hardware. Don't forget a touch of anti-sieze on the threads as these cars sometimes need to come apart again. Hopefully for more power and not repairs. Either way this will make life easier. Congrats on the performance of your car. It is a screamer.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
DRH,

Not a dumb question. I have changed out my exhuast system (4) times
and have never replaced any gaskets. This time I am replacing every gasket and every nut (and I have complete list if anyone needs the Porsche part numbers).

Marty
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
CaptPegLeg is infamous around these parts
The 3/4' difference is from the inboard side of one muffler to the other. From the flange over the 2 ft. or so overall distance to the end of the muffler is not really a lot of drop. Just a smidge more hole would have allowed some adjustment to make both sides match up perfect. You really can't see it unless it's on a lift. And, I can't see it at all from where I sleep. If we had known the holes needed a little relief before we mashed the flange on, it would not have been a problem. John has it solved now. No big deal.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Capt, Thanks for the feedback - it will be of benefit to all future users. As a result, the first exhausts with the larger flange holes shipped out today, hopefully resulting in a more consistent and perfect alignment from here on...

Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Silver thanks for the commments and compliments.

I have learned to take off the exhuast without removing the rear bumper but it takes
the wrenches that come with a Europipe. two small wrenches for the turbo/exhaust nuts, one curved wrench and one straight wrench (short length) for those top turbo nuts. (13 mm I believe from memory).
It also helps to have several length 13 mm wrenches: as well as a deep well socket, shallow socket, all length extensions etc. this makes it easy.

MK

Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
I'm looking seriously at the DGI/Speedtech MaxSpeed exhaust, and JohnD has been very responsive to my questions.

I'll be using it on an upcoming 600hp K16/16G conversion (+ flash and new intake airbox) and although the 70mm pipe is a little overkill for a 600hp setup, I'm more interested in the better driveability that a free flowing exhaust will give me (quicker turbo spool, better throttle response, the motor spinning through the revs easier).

I'm looking for feedback from any tiptronic owners about any drone they get with this exhaust. I'm OK with a little extra drone as the car already has a bit of road / tyre noise but don't want too much extra drone compared to the stock exhaust, and its known that a tiptronic has a tendency to drone more than a manual.

I know the Europipe 2 quiet is probably the best bet for drone, but I don't want to pay the significant price premium (and import taxes for me) and I'd prefer a lighter exhaust to get some of the weight off the back of the car.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Mine is a tip and there is some drone, wife noticed louder within the first few miles. It's not unbearable at 65 or so. Goes away completely at 80ish. I can live with it for what it gives.
And, when we installed it, we didn't remove the bumper cover.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Capt,

Would you say the drone is louder than the roadnoise? Does it resonate in the cabin? Is there any particular speed where it is the loudest?

I take it you don't have to shout over the drone to have a conversation in the cabin

Also any comments about the driveability difference with this exhaust on a tip around town when compared to the stock exhaust?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 AM
deandob,
She has to shout at me for me to hear anyway. I really don't hear the high pitched stuff, going on 39 years of tuning. If there is more drone at any one speed, I'd guess it's gotta be highway speed (60-65). I'm calling it "drone" but others may not. I don't see anything negative about the driveability in town other than wanting to mash the gas a little more.
Some road surfaces give a lot more road noise than others, most of the roads I'm on are not terribly loud.
Do you have to fit a "roo bar" on your car for a country drive?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dgi exhaust and maxspeed exhaust 70mm