996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Straight Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 AM
dxb996tt is infamous around these parts
Straight Pipes

I know the consensus has been that most people find this too loud and obnoxious, but I've ridden in a 996tt with the Fabspeed bypass pipes and loved it maybe I have poor hearing anyway so it doesnt bother me.

I'm looking to be upgrading turbo's in the near future and would like to add straight pipes out the back, is there any advantage with having these custom fabbed by an exhaust shop vs using the Fabspeed bypass pipes? And if having these made is the way to go, what diam pipe is anyone that has done this using?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 AM
996twin_sc is infamous around these parts
I'm running FS 100 cell cats and straight pipes with upgraded Proto K24/18G turbo's. I love the sound and don't think its that loud, however my neighbors probably disagree.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 AM
dxb996tt is infamous around these parts
Anyone? Pros/Cons of going with Fabspeed bypass pipes vs custom fabricated straight pipes

Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dxb996tt
Anyone? Pros/Cons of going with Fabspeed bypass pipes vs custom fabricated straight pipes
Performance/Quality...

If you can get better performance/quality from a custom exhuast I'd go that route but I'd just go with fabspeed(reputation) vs. somebody thats doing trial & error on your porsche

Old 01-09-2008, 06:49 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dxb996tt

yes, it would be a waste of time and money for no reason.
I have the straight pipes. cheap, and fit perfectly. doubt you are going to do better. and not the place to save $100. just get the Fabspeeds and stop over thinking this.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
with some turbo apps, you may need to work something out as far as backpressure is concerned, but I run straight pipes on my stock (headers back) 01 tt and it runs amazingly...I always run it in the high rev ranges so any low end stuff I dont feel if there even really is any...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
with some turbo apps, you may need to work something out as far as backpressure is concerned, but I run straight pipes on my stock (headers back) 01 tt and it runs amazingly...I always run it in the high rev ranges so any low end stuff I dont feel if there even really is any...
+1 I do the same. going from the guys who have responded, you may note that this set up is not for the faint at heart!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tom kerr
+1 I do the same. going from the guys who have responded, you may note that this set up is not for the faint at heart!!

Oh ya, its definitely pretty uh...loud...and can make a car behind you rattle and smell gas for as long as its behind you...haha...so...take that into consideration.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
Oh and dont forget to mention that license plate screws tend to rattle themselves loose, and you will develop rattles throughout the car...but it is sooooo worth it! Hilarious The sound is intoxicating, and I am always making excuses to drive the car because of the exhaust.....well actually because of the lack of exhaust

Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
club411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the rough
I have some for sale if you want them... FS ones

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
sttjmk is infamous around these parts
I have the Fabspeed Gen 3 set up and interchange between the mufflers and bypass pipes. If you are going to be driving on the highway and have any intention of having a conversation, the bypass pipes are too loud. The drone at 80mph is pretty hard to take -- I literally cannot use my cell phone when the bypass pipes are on. My neighbors think I am nuts. My wife is starting to ignore it. But, when I start the car or blip the throttle, life is good. When I switch back to Fabspeed Gen 3 mufflers, the car is just quiet enough when cruising on the highway to make a cell phone call. Start up is quite loud in either scenario. And the sound is aggressive enought oget people's attention when you drive by. Incidentally, Fabspeed says that flames will appear at night when bypass pipes are used...

Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
euroaaron12 is infamous around these parts
i always know when a turbo cars floor it because of the large amounts of exhaust smoke and the horrible smell of gas. but it sounds great

Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
clt8981 is infamous around these parts
I have never heard a turbo with straight pipes but my friend has a tubi exhaust on his gallardo and it will wake the dead. I know they are completely different motors but I'm sure the porsche is just as loud..everyone in his neighborhood hates him.. He heard they brought it up at one of the HOA meetings too..haha

Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 PM
the turbo is quieter as the turbos definitely suck up a good deal of the dbs...a standard carrera with straights is FAR louder...

Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 PM
euroaaron12 is infamous around these parts
turbos with straight pipes sound like turbo-deisel trucks and i love it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Straight Pipes