996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kenwood DNX7100 or Pioneer AVIC-Z2 for Video Ipod control via NAV unit??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
post some pics.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Midcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud ofMidcont has much to be proud of
what year was the switch to fiber optic made and does that complicate or prevent the install of this type of system?
my brothers car is an 04' w/ nav and he's interested in a unit that does it all.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
i believe it was 03 they switched over the fiber optic

Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
TriplBlack996TT is infamous around these parts
My 02 is not fiber optic which i gather makes it easier on the techs . . .

I'm picking my car tomorrow as this is a two day install and will definitely post pics tomorrow night

I'm having the work done at Newport Auto Sound in Newport Beach - my guy Shawn is a great guy and my family has been using him since i was in high school for A/V stuff - they've done LOTS of 996/997 turbos at their shop and it was funny talking to him about my car as he already knew exactly where to put everything (i.e. stealth install for sirius antenna) and what bracket to order to relocate the AC module, etc without even checking "the book"

They're even using the bose factory system (which sounds fine to me anyway) so i don't have to buy a new amp/speakers as some have mentioned on this board to get everything to work right

i ended up going with the Kenwood dnx1700 with the ipod/bluetooth/sirius/backup camera (built into the black license plate frame) modules

even more pics will follow when i get my newly ordered frosted non-slip aluminum pedals in (from Ultimate Pedals) as well as my custom black and yellow embroidered mats (from HW Accessories LLC)
or you guys could swing by cars and coffee on saturday morning in irvine and let me know what you think . . .

Last edited by TriplBlack996TT; 01-09-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by pvanosta
TripleBlack,
Please post or PM me the details of this install (which amp and which speakers did you buy, who is doing the install and what did they quote you for the entire job, in terms of price AND time?)

I have an '01 996TT with the NAV system that I am dying to upgrade.
Thanks.

Not a prpblem!! see the post above for the requested info . . . if you would like any further details please pm me - or perhaps pop by cars and coffee this saturday morning in irvine and check it out!!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Looking forward to the pics!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Triplblack996TT:
I'd love to drop by, but I don;t think I'll be able to make this Saturday. I'm in DC on business until late Friday night and I'm not going to drive from Long Beach to Irvine for a 7 AM meet after that, LOL

But I would really like to try next Saturday, if you're around. (I want to hear how she sounds as much as see how she looks).

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
FSL
FSL is infamous around these parts
With 7100 you gonna have to go with the fifth generation Ipod to run your Ipod video. Kenwood have not came up with the driver to work video with any thing newer then fifth generation video. Hope that helps.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by FSL
With 7100 you gonna have to go with the fifth generation Ipod to run your Ipod video. Kenwood have not came up with the driver to work video with any thing newer then fifth generation video. Hope that helps.
It does indeed as that is the exact 80gb video ipod model i have (thank god)

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by pvanosta
Triplblack996TT:
I'd love to drop by, but I don;t think I'll be able to make this Saturday. I'm in DC on business until late Friday night and I'm not going to drive from Long Beach to Irvine for a 7 AM meet after that, LOL

But I would really like to try next Saturday, if you're around. (I want to hear how she sounds as much as see how she looks).

Thanks,
Patrick

no worries! and yes she sounds simply ridiculous I'll be at c and c the following week as well . . . cheers!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TriplBlack996TT
My 02 is not fiber optic which i gather makes it easier on the techs . . .

I'm picking my car tomorrow as this is a two day install and will definitely post pics tomorrow night

I'm having the work done at Newport Auto Sound in Newport Beach - my guy Shawn is a great guy and my family has been using him since i was in high school for A/V stuff - they've done LOTS of 996/997 turbos at their shop and it was funny talking to him about my car as he already knew exactly where to put everything (i.e. stealth install for sirius antenna) and what bracket to order to relocate the AC module, etc without even checking "the book"

They're even using the bose factory system (which sounds fine to me anyway) so i don't have to buy a new amp/speakers as some have mentioned on this board to get everything to work right

i ended up going with the Kenwood dnx1700 with the ipod/bluetooth/sirius/backup camera (built into the black license plate frame) modules

even more pics will follow when i get my newly ordered frosted non-slip aluminum pedals in (from Ultimate Pedals) as well as my custom black and yellow embroidered mats (from HW Accessories LLC)
or you guys could swing by cars and coffee on saturday morning in irvine and let me know what you think . . .
Using the factory bose with the dnx1700 is fine, i just opted to upgrade since i know i'll want to upgrade later...

Old 01-10-2008, 12:40 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
just purchased the avic-z2 - it will be installed the 29th... ill post pics when im done - imo a far superior unit than just about everything else i checked out

the ipod hookup sucks from what i found out - but im going to be using a simple aux output cable and control the ipod itself - this is what i have done in all my cars since my 03 M3 in 03 so im very comfortable using it this way - others may find this way ludicrous...

Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
that one ipod drawback you mentioned was the primary item holding the pioneer back imo - that's exactly what pulled me away from the avic-z2 at the last minute as my entire music library is on my gen-5 ipod (which integrates beautifully into the Kenwood dnx1700) I wanted to find a unit that i could control via the touch screen my entire music and video ipod collections without touching the ipod at all . . . and the kenwood delivers . . . (moment of truth tomorrow at pickup)

I have your same setup you mentioned in my 2006 ///m3 (dvd+video ipod into my stock nav screen) where i controlled my ipod manually and it is truly no big deal and works great . . . im sure your unit rocks!!! (u've the HDD feature that us kenwood folk dont)

Last edited by TriplBlack996TT; 01-10-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I want to see your setup. Maybe we should have a weekend coffee meet or evening Sushi!

I missed the roll on stuff with you guys and Adam.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Cool

DONE!!! Final price with tax and install was approx $2400 with the Kenwood dnx1700 nav/cd/dvd unit, bluetooth, ipod, backup camera, and sirius - pics to come this evening!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX7100 or Pioneer AVIC-Z2 for Video Ipod control via NAV unit??