996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is anyone making 700 crank HP on pump gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have the EBC the only thing that triggers boost reduction is exceeding a pre-set maximum boost level? So if the ECU senses knock (let's say from a bad batch of gas) it no longer has the ability to pull boost because that's been ceded to the EBC by circumventing the N75 valve... correct?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have the EBC the only thing that triggers boost reduction is exceeding a pre-set maximum boost level? So if the ECU senses knock (let's say from a bad batch of gas) it no longer has the ability to pull boost because that's been ceded to the EBC by circumventing the N75 valve... correct?
Yup..

Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Todd can set up up without the greddy... but you will leave extra HP on the table if you ever want it. Im not sure what the big deal is running a Greddy.
I agree, it is nonsense.. I ran my exact same setup without EBC with 1.2 Bar springs (1.1 Bar boost) for 6 months at the Nurburgring and other track/race events, the car ran without a glitch. Something went wrong here. EBC or not, fixed boost or not, these engines at 1.3 bar can detonate if something goes wrong, and they do. Even in ECU controlled boost maps, the ECU does not always have time to pull timing and boost fast enough in case of a problem.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by topgun
Yup..
Great... I think I just peed myself a little.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
oooh... that is not the case. My car still pulls timing if I run pump on high boost.... it will not, however, go into limp mode like it would on a stock ECU.
The only thing is does not do is control the amount of boost. So big deal... you have limiter on the greddy and set it at lets say 1.35 bars if you run 1.3 bars max... Your car will never go past 1.35 bars. And if, by any chance, it malfunctions it goes into Turn off mode which basically reverts to your spring rate.... so if your running upgraded springs .. lets say 12 psi.. it will then run in that 12 psi mode... AND your stage XXX from tuner XXX does not shut the boost down either. You will blow it up at 1.3 bars on pump the same way you will on a XXX tuner running EBC... bad gas or whatever... My 1 bar springs I had on my old stage 5 setup running Giac always ran the same amount of boost... pump or race gas.,.... I rather, like I have now, have the ability to run lower boost on pump and higher boost on race gas as tuned per my car.
Its not as "blow up" prone as you guys think.... unfortunately most of you never ran it on 996TTs so you listen to others that never did either... and so the speculation Begins. Yes a couple guys blew the motors running EBCs but it was their fault.... not the tuners. One person ran high boost on pump in cold weather and the other was running blind because he chose not to install the Greddy profec B type 2. So he had no limiter, no warning.... no boost guage except the one on the dash which sucks.
BTW, I have nothing Against running the car without EBCs....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-15-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
There should not be a boost controller in a stock internal 600-700hp 996.There is no need for it and can only lead to problems. The car should be run at a predetermined boost setting (with enough leeway for temp changes) and be left alone.Build the motor and then run a boost controller.I can guarantee once one pays to do the internals,they will have much more discipline when using it.

.........my 2 pennies

Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
There should not be a boost controller in a stock internal 600-700hp 996.There is no need for it and can only lead to problems. The car should be run at a predetermined boost setting (with enough leeway for temp changes) and be left alone.Build the motor and then run a boost controller.I can guarantee once one pays to do the internals,they will have much more discipline when using it.

.........my 2 pennies
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express while at Tuner school?....