996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

engine sputter under hard throttle/wot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
It's not easy...and it's not for a novice wrench.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 AM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Originally Posted by rolfjahn
It's not easy...and it's not for a novice wrench.
Really...I take it you have attempted to do the work and found it too hard then?

Speaking from personal experience (having just replaced my plugs) if a grown man can unscrew about 20 fasteners then he will be able to do the job....unless of course that man simply prefers to pay someone else's' husband to do the work for him.

How about the MAF...is that too tough for a novice too?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
BS
You cant wear it out, it could be dirty or broken...If the flash was done properly , the ECU would be compensating for all of the mods, thus reflecting the MAF.

Originally Posted by bryantjew
i was told that the MAF sensor might be going bad because of the exhaust and the other mods that are making my car push more load... thus wearing out the MAF?

thanks again in advance!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drh
Really...I take it you have attempted to do the work and found it too hard then?

Speaking from personal experience (having just replaced my plugs) if a grown man can unscrew about 20 fasteners then he will be able to do the job....unless of course that man simply prefers to pay someone else's' husband to do the work for him.

How about the MAF...is that too tough for a novice too?
IMHO

Let’s see...a Novice Wrench might not know
1. How to properly compress the plug washers in an aluminum head
2. Remember to put anti-seize on the plug threads for the next time
3. Might just forget to attach the boost hoses properly
4. Might have a difficult time fitting the intercoolers back in place
5. With a performance tune-to read and index their pugs for next time
6. Might not have all the basic tools to complete the job.

It's not a small block Chevy but then again you don't have to be a Nuclear Physicist either. There are just some immediate points of failure that will not be clear to a Novice Wrench. I do All my own wrenching on the 70+ cars that I have owned and have a very complete workshop.

Finally Bryant is a smart guy, when he came to this forum he asked allot of questions and WE all chimed in to point him in the right direction.

Last edited by rolfjahn; 01-14-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I agree, i don't think everyone can do it, you know how some Porsche owners are, not all want to wrench on the car, and not all are mechanically inclined to do so, to say its easy is true if you have done it before or at least know what a plug looks like and knows where it goes.I mean when the MAF wears out , now thats an easy change!

IMHO

It's not a small block Chevy but then again you don't have to be a Nuclear Physicist either. There are just some immediate points of failure that will not be clear to a Novice Wrench. I do All my own wrenching on the 70+ cars that I have owned and have a very complete workshop.

Finally Bryant is a smart guy, when he came to this forum he asked allot of questions and WE all chimed in to point him in the right direction.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Rolf also, even though I would encourage everyone to do a bit of DIY on their Pcar and try and learn something about their machine, but not everyone is like that!

BTW Rolf, I hope that isn't just a that jack holding your car in that position

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
It's only there for extra safety, I use a pressure treated 2x8 and jackstands of course! I'm building another garage with a lift...

Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
drh
drh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura aboutdrh has a spectacular aura about
IMHO
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58814&d=1200194932

A common mistake of mine is the assumption that most men have some basic mechanical aptitude. Thanks for reminding me how wrong I am.

Nice looking engine btw.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
bryantjew is infamous around these parts
Smile

Thanks again for everyones' input. I would love to take the time to do the plugs myself, as I see the value in understanding not only the driving side of Porsches, but also the diagnostics/mechanics of them. Unfortunately however, I can't put in that time right now. If it takes on average 4.5 hours to change the plugs, then I would rather pay a mechanic to do it. The reason? Because during that 4.5 hours, I would make in my job double the amount of money it costs for a mechanic to do the job. If I can save the energy, time, and earn more money to have someone else do it, then I will. One day though, I will really get dirty with the car. As of right now, it's just the basics... The MAF, I know how to do myself. Plugs...

Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Bryant: In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood..."A man's got to know his limitations". If you've not done much wrenching and aren't comfortable getting under there and following the How-To directions, then you need to farm it out to an indy.

Remember Larry I introduced you to? Give him a call and ask him how much he'd charge you to replace the plugs....you might be pleasantly surprised... I think the local dealership charges around $130 an hour on labor. Larry is about $90.

You might also give IPB a call and ask Ron what he'd charge you...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM
bryantjew is infamous around these parts
Cool Problem solved!

Hey everyone, brought my car to Ron (IPB-Autosports) in Sacramento. Had the all 6 spark plugs done. There is no more engine sputter! . He said my MAF should be okay still, just need to clean it. Car feels good!

Chuck: when you have time, we gotta have coffee. Oh yeah, and I need you to help me with cleaning the MAF since you got the tools take the MAF out and the spray to clean it (this is what Ron told me yesterday) .

p.s. - You should test drive my car now... BIG DIFFERENCE .

Thanks again to all the guys that were able to give their knowledge and experience.

God bless,

Bryant

Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear that Bryant; and I think your solution was the fastest route to the fix: ask here anbd go get it fixed by an expert. I will take the opprotunity which has arisen here to voice my opinion on 'doing it yourself'. For most adults with the resources to own Pcars, the choice of doing our own work is simply a matter of taste. I have designed and built most of the machinery and tooling in my factory and it runs 24/6. But I Hate wrenching on cars; i used to do it when I was young and broke and I never liked it then either. I have no problem with the idea that I can have a good mechanic- who loves doing it- do it for me and do it right. I happily pay him. That doesn't make me less of a car enthusiast or make me appreciate less what I have. I like washing my cars!- and driving them, researching and reading about them and adding things. I love to read the opinions/discussions of the mechanical guys here because I am a Very mechanical guy and I do want to more understand how things work- to a point.

Don't know if that was an appropriate post but Bravo to those who love to wrench- and Bravo to those of us who don't.