996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

StopTech and Mov'it Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:08 AM
PorschExtremist is infamous around these parts
StopTech and Mov'it Brake Kits

Has anyone here considered either of these companies for there brake upgrade? Any information, leads, etc... would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:12 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Let's see, so far my "best brakes ever" GTR kit from brembo has been an absolute "joy". They let us down BIG TIME during the shoot out and stopped worse than the stock brakes (which pushed us down from a top 3 position). ABS kicks in like crazy.. They said that they sent me the wrong pads first time around. They then said they'd send me some new pads (the "right" ones) but not gotten anything since.... Oh and according to Mike at AWE I might also have the incorrect "bracket/spacer" from brembo so I can't fit stock wheels. Other than that... they're brilliant lol.... I bet if they had read the European Car article they would have been embarassed at the performance.

Oh and Kevin and Stephen had to dremell/shave the caliper just to make it fit my "custom" wheels too

Let's just say for the money we spent on this "amazing" kit, I think your money is better spent elsewhere. Heck maybe the stoptec/movit brake kits are good but the whole brembo GTR thing seems like a waste of time on our cars based on my experience. There's an issue of being able to program the ABS too. Maybe then it might be half decent.

Goes to show just how good the stock brakes are. I'd buy better suspension... Sorry to vent but I just figured that any of you who are considering spending huge money on brake upgrades should know what to possibly expect.

PS And for those of you that do it for the "bling" factore, the painting and annodizing on them is pretty terrible too. The brembo painted in red ran an inch or so down the caliper. So don't do it for "bling" either....

Last edited by sharkster; 06-12-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Hirsch is infamous around these parts
If I had spent 10k on a racing brake package with a name like GTR, and a brand like Brembo, I'd expect race class brakes, top of the line performance, perfect fitment, and world class service.

Bummer Alex, you'd think that a company like Brembo would care more about its image. Perhaps Brembo is not what it once was.

Hopefully they fix their 10k problem, they sure ought to (sigh)

maybe you should offer someone a trade plus cash for someone's STOCK brakes or...maybe you could PAY for someone to take them hehehe

-Ben

Last edited by Hirsch; 06-12-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:46 AM
blunt is infamous around these parts
After seeing first hand what Sharky went through with his brake setup, I'd highly recommend sticking with the stockers unless you know you need the upgrade for sure. At that point I'd look into something that's been actually used and proven on a real car versus what people claim is the best. I expected more from Brembo myself.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Stock brakes are really good.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:03 PM
With my recent power upgrades and track useage, I will need the brake upgrade. I was reading that the EVO Stage 4 vehicle that won the 2004 One Lap Of America used the StopTech Big Brake upgrade and have heard great things about Mov'it from overseas sources and hear they are much better than Brembo.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That's the same/similair HP set up I have and I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said the Brembo GTR kit is the way to go based upon my experience and results. Maybe the StopTech's are the way to go and if you do bite on them let us know how it goes....

Old 06-12-2004, 12:11 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Sharkster, sorry man. I have told so many people before, ONLY upgrade the brakes under these three conditions:
1. bling
2. IF they are lighter to remove unsprung weight
3. If GT3 cup front scoops and GT2 rear scoops don't offer enough cooling, then look for "bigger" brakes THAT WILL NOT STOP YOU NOTICABLY FASTER, they MAY only last longer at the track before overheating.

Brakes on our cars only (and even then maybe) apply to well driven track cars, otherwise it's bling. Suspension will return much, much more.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I definitely will let you go sharkster, just want some more feedback before I go for it. Any reason I should go for either the StopTech setup over the Mov'it setup? I am working on my suspension issues right now also. I am looking into the JIC, Cargraphic and Moton. Just can't decide what I need and what is the best for my needs.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:14 PM
JIC will get you most of the way there. Moton's if your piggy (I'm going motons). Don't know cargraphic.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ColorChange
Sharkster, sorry man. I have told so many people before, ONLY upgrade the brakes under these three conditions:
1. bling
2. IF they are lighter to remove unsprung weight
3. If GT3 cup front scoops and GT2 rear scoops don't offer enough cooling, then look for "bigger" brakes THAT WILL NOT STOP YOU NOTICABLY FASTER, they MAY only last longer at the track before overheating.

Brakes on our cars only (and even then maybe) apply to well driven track cars, otherwise it's bling. Suspension will return much, much more.
Hey man you are so right. The shoot out proved that. We got docked so many point for a contest we should have won (the braking). Came 2nd in the drag racing. 3rd on the track. Didn't work right on the dyno (ok nothing we can do) and literally stank when it came to braking.... Cort actually said we would have won the road course had it not been for the brakes. Terrible bias and ****ty pads and so on...

Too bad they don't even look bling- I coulda used duct tape that looked better and put my own "br3mbo" logo on 'em.

I figure they might last longer on the track, yes but only if the bugs are ironed out. The should also stop better from what I was told before buying them lol... As it is, the product I have is certainly not ready for prime-time.

Last edited by sharkster; 06-12-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by PorschExtremist
I definitely will let you go sharkster, just want some more feedback before I go for it. Any reason I should go for either the StopTech setup over the Mov'it setup? I am working on my suspension issues right now also. I am looking into the JIC, Cargraphic and Moton. Just can't decide what I need and what is the best for my needs.
Please do let me know! The JICs are great but not in the same class as the Moton's. For the price the JICs can't be beat though.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I have been researching the Moton, what are the main differences between the Race and Clubsport setups? Best place to purchase Moton? Thank you.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Sorry, I should clarify if you are after performance:

1. more air [helps fluid and pad fade by lowering system temperature]
2. better fluid (Castrol SRF if best but Super blue and others are good) [fluid fade]
3. better pads (pagid orange seam like a nice street/track compromise) [pad fade]
4. ss braided hoses (better feel maybe)

There are MANY complications with runniing "bigger" brakes; changing brake bias, ABS retuning, ... Stop tech has a good white paper discussion all of the issues.

I hope I won't have to upgrade the brakes. If I do, big reds will not be the choice.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:53 PM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
Big Reds come on your car already.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: StopTech and Mov'it Brake Kits