996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Topping Off When Fueling...Overflow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
When the gauge shows ----- in the miles left till empty mode....it's supposed to indicate that the tank has less than 10 miles remaining before you run out of gas. But the remaining miles is affected by the way you're driving your car since the computer figures mileage by the rate of usage on the fly....so the mileage figure of remaining miles till empty can actually go UP as you drive if the mpg is maximized by steady driving at say 60mph. The problem seems to be with the configuration of the gas tank and having that extra hump. The most I've ever put in it when it said ----- was 14 gallons....which should have left an extra two gallons. Better that there's extra gas in there than the other way around. I do know that the gauge and computer on the 99 996 was much more accurate.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
996TurboOnMaui is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gobears7
Had the same problem with my 996TT. Could not get the tank to fill to compeletly full and would also spill fuel. When at the dealer for an oil change, mentioned the issue with the service tech. The dealership kept my car for 5 days trying to fix the prob. They eventually replaced the tank and filler hose. Now I can fill the tank w/o many issues, plus it was covered under warranty!
Was this after your original warranty expired?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM
jimq is infamous around these parts
I have always filled my 911s with the pump handle upside down. My 964 is a real pain sometimes also continually shutting off. The TT has the nasty habit of spitting gas back at me if I try to go any more after shut off. The good thing is it seems to be full by then anyways.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:20 PM
C4ESQ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Its "normal". Mine always clicks off before its full so I have to top off. Try waiting 10 seconds or turning the nozzle upside down before topping off.
Same problem I have - thanks for the advice.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 AM
gobears7 is infamous around these parts
I went to Rector Porsche in Burlingame. All the fuel tank work was covered by the Porsche extended warranty. Ask for Paul Medina, he will probably remember writing up the work on my 2002 996TT X50. At first they thought is was the filler tube, then something else, finally they said Germany told them to replace everything! Definately alot better than prior but certainly not like my other vehicles.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:37 AM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the reference to Rector. Have they generally been a good dealer for you in terms of service and how long ago was this?
David

Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
gobears7 is infamous around these parts
Have been taking my car there for about 1 yr. They seem pretty attentive. Have also had my brakes, 4 wheel aligment and bought new rear tires through them. They ended up slightly beating Tire Racks pricing on them...which was very suprising.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I have found that Rector aren't that competent. I end up driving up to Carlsen (Redwood City) and have the legendary Brian Haske take care of my issues.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM
thanks guys. i always used carlsen too for my 993. that is vsurprising about the tires: can't imagine carlsen ever doing anything like that.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
TurboLove is infamous around these parts
dont go to Rector....go straight to Carlsen (I miss Brian and Richard, gen manager now that I live in SoCal)......true story: when I had my 993, I went to Rector for an oil change...turned out when I got it back, they had forgotten to fill it up with new oil!! Totally insane....

Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
shadow996 is infamous around these parts
Filled my tank the first time today. After the first click, I tried slowly adding a bit more fuel in the tank and it overflows. First car that ever does this to me

Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Turbo Love-
Question? is Carlsen the type to go out of their way to cover a repair (like the 2nd gear pop-out or this one- the fuel filler pipe) and make it under warranty? Do they go to bat for you?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
I believe all these issues are due to the shape of the fuel tank. If I stop after it clicks off I only get a 3/4 full tank. I have to remove the nozzle, wait for about 10 seconds and then add another gallon or so. I might have to do this a couple of times to get the tank full. Most of the time I just get a partial fill.

I recently filled up at a station that did not have a level surface and with the car nose high, it ran to completely full until it clicked off.

I haven't tried again since so I'm not sure if it was a coincidence.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
996TurboOnMaui is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jimq
I have always filled my 911s with the pump handle upside down. My 964 is a real pain sometimes also continually shutting off. The TT has the nasty habit of spitting gas back at me if I try to go any more after shut off. The good thing is it seems to be full by then anyways.
The best advice in my opinion. I've filled up the last five times with the pump handle upside down and am able to get in an additional gallon of gas than before (14.5 gal). Still have to stop after the first click though to avoid the lethal shower.

Last edited by 996TurboOnMaui; 02-06-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I'll have to try that. I filled up today and tried waiting 10 seconds and then slowly filling after it clicks off. Still only 7/8's full.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Topping Off When Fueling...Overflow