996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Topping Off When Fueling...Overflow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TurboLove
dont go to Rector....go straight to Carlsen (I miss Brian and Richard, gen manager now that I live in SoCal)......true story: when I had my 993, I went to Rector for an oil change...turned out when I got it back, they had forgotten to fill it up with new oil!! Totally insane....
I agree.. Carlsen ... Brian's the man.. Rector doesnt seem to know their head from their ***.. in IMHO ... numerous issues ... but tha'ts another topic

Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lightstream
Thanks for bringing it up Maui- I have had the same kinds of experiences too in my new 996tt. I had a 'non-california' pump in Nevada just keep running and dump at least a gallon on the tarmac before I noticed. I also had one pump literally pop out of the fill pipe and land on the ground. I just stay with it now while I pump.
Thanks for the tips from the rest of the guys on how to actually fill the tankfully.
Another vote for my pal brian@Carlsen. You're right there in Menlo Park so that'd be the place to go for sure....

Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 AM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
Heh. Bought my first 996TT this past weekend. Went to get gas for it not 10 minutes after picking it up. Gas fountain! All over the side of the car, all over my pants. Very uncool.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cybersam69
Heh. Bought my first 996TT this past weekend. Went to get gas for it not 10 minutes after picking it up. Gas fountain! All over the side of the car, all over my pants. Very uncool.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 AM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
Yeh, I am going to need to see if I can figure out why, and prevent that from happening again.

On a sale of 1-10, 10 being complete jackass. I'd say I came in around 'complete tool'.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
thth is infamous around these parts
My husband filled all the way up his car right after the first hour we bought and drove it home. No spilling at all. Might be there is something need to be fixed as other has mentioned earlier?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 AM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
With my 996tt, I dont fill past the first click....but it happens to show completely full on the gauge so it doesnt bother me. On my previous c4s, it would fill 3/4 tank at the first click so every trip to the gas station was a potential nightmare.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
cybersam- it's cool-

Cybersam-

The solution I found that works the best is to turn the handle upside down and fill it in that position. As soon as it clicks off- it's done.

To Saint Ari and others- Yes, Brian Haske is the Man and Carlsen does all my service.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Cybersam-

The solution I found that works the best is to turn the handle upside down and fill it in that position. As soon as it clicks off- it's done.

To Saint Ari and others- Yes, Brian Haske is the Man and Carlsen does all my service.
I'll give that a go and let you guys know the outcome. Although I think the only way I could get the nozzle in the first time was to turn it upside down.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Cybersam-

Same. Upside down, hold the nozzle that way. Stop filling after it clicks off. No spills (except for the first time after I got the car, and didn't do that! )

Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Superfly
I'm like Statman, i end up never topping it off. Hey, it's lighter with less fuel
I have been using hydrogen, it is even lighter!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:17 PM
SBTG is infamous around these parts
ha here in oregon, we don't pump our gas...

can't imagine how some of you guys would deal with that ha

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Mine reads full on the gauge when it stops...and if I try to add anymore I get a spill also. Works best for me upright but with the handle as low as it will go..almost touching the side...not very far into the opening. Hope it helps

Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I call this the 996 turbo Fart. It almost seems like there is no air venting during filling which could be causing this. The tube fills up with fuel and the air is trapped and doesn't go anywhere and there isn't enough room for both, then puff and fuel comes out. If you wait, then it's no problem, it all goes down as the air has enough time to slowly seep out. I guess the pipe has to do a silent fart or something. This is my guess as to what is happening, anyway.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
jleeev is infamous around these parts
+1 for upside down pumping. Stops the pump handle rubbing on the paint below the filler cap as well.

J

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Topping Off When Fueling...Overflow