996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Topping Off When Fueling...Overflow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM
996TurboOnMaui is infamous around these parts
Topping Off When Fueling...Immediate Overflow

Newbie Question...

I apologize if this has been discussed in a previous post. A few searches didn't turn up anything. I've filled up my 996TT five times now since I purchased it last month. On the first fill up, when the pump stopped, I pulled the trigger once and the tank immediately overflowed...quite embarrasing. I thought that it was likely that the nozzle was defective and didn't shut off early enough. Upon the next three fuelings, once the nozzle stopped, I stopped and left it that and all was fine. This morning, at a different gas station than the first, I clicked the trigger once after it stopped and the tank immediately overflowed. Is this normal? This the first car I've ever fueled which would not take even one "click" of gas after the gas nozzle shut off. I realize that a tank shouldn't be topped off, but come on, one click?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 996TurboOnMaui; 01-14-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:32 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Let's just say the fuel entry system on these cars is a little tempormental. I also noticed this when I first got my car and since then I just don't top it off. That has meant that some times I leave the pump and the tank is not full. Problems with these things go from the fuse, to the sensor in the fill tube, to the poor design of the location of the fuel level sensor (in the second hump).

Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks! As long as I know that I'm not the only one.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Ag Surfer is infamous around these parts
Its "normal". Mine always clicks off before its full so I have to top off. Try waiting 10 seconds or turning the nozzle upside down before topping off.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
I'm like Statman, i end up never topping it off. Hey, it's lighter with less fuel

Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Yeah, the same thing happens to me. I am very **** about getting the tank as full as possible, so I still top it off. I just have to barely drip fuel into the tank to top it off. It is a slow process, but I can get another gallon in there if I am patient. I have spilled fuel in the past though, so I can relate to your frustration.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ag Surfer
Its "normal". Mine always clicks off before its full so I have to top off. Try waiting 10 seconds or turning the nozzle upside down before topping off.
This is what I do ....

OR ... after the "initial" click ... you could run the pump on the first notch ... works for me without overflowing ...

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
This could very well be psychological, but I seem to get better results when I fuel up with the engine running.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
Thanks for bringing it up Maui- I have had the same kinds of experiences too in my new 996tt. I had a 'non-california' pump in Nevada just keep running and dump at least a gallon on the tarmac before I noticed. I also had one pump literally pop out of the fill pipe and land on the ground. I just stay with it now while I pump.
Thanks for the tips from the rest of the guys on how to actually fill the tankfully.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 PM
This morning my OBC read "-- miles to empty" and I squeezed in 13.01 gallons. Does that sound about right?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:43 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 996TurboOnMaui
This morning my OBC read "-- miles to empty" and I squeezed in 13.01 gallons. Does that sound about right?
Ha, i ran the car 80 miles with the "-- miles to empty" screen - and when i filled up i was still only at around the 13/14 gallon mark... crazy system

i learned that this is because of the hump designed fuel tank - i wonder if this was improved for the 997TT.... my 996 C2, had a perfect measure

Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
BLKM3 is infamous around these parts
I have the exact same problem. One time the fuel acually started to spray out of the nozzle. It was like the car was throwing out fuel..

Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 AM
gobears7 is infamous around these parts
Had the same problem with my 996TT. Could not get the tank to fill to compeletly full and would also spill fuel. When at the dealer for an oil change, mentioned the issue with the service tech. The dealership kept my car for 5 days trying to fix the prob. They eventually replaced the tank and filler hose. Now I can fill the tank w/o many issues, plus it was covered under warranty!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM
lightstream is infamous around these parts
Hi Gobears7

What dealer was that and how long ago? I live in the bay area as well and if this is a design flaw, wouldn't mind getting it fixed under warranty

Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM
ko23 is infamous around these parts
I drive until the low fuel light comes on. I fill up exactly 11 gallons. It has a bit of breathing room in the tank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Topping Off When Fueling...Overflow