996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A day at EPLabs - +80whp and +100wtq - Dyno confirmed (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte

The best analogy I've come up with between OTS, e-mail, and dyno tune is making chili:
1. You can buy canned chili. It has exactly the same ingredients for everyone in exactly the same proportions. Some cans are better than others, and if you can find a canned flavor to your liking, awesome.
2. You can order chili from the restaurant down the block and tell them, I like mine with a little more salt. Depending on how it comes out, next time you can ask for more or less.
3. You can make chili at home and take a spoonful after adding each ingredient to make sure it's to your liking. If not, you can add more until perfect (and in this instance, even take a bit out if you overdid it).
SGM, I like the chili analogy but I agree with Mark that there are a limited number of people who know how to (tune) make chili properly. I think the problem is when EVERYONE thinks they can make chili. Remember, bad chili will make your *** explode...whether from a can, restaurant or after multiple emailings to Wolfgang Puck...

On another note, great looking dyno sheet and congrats to Tony

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Nice job Tony,

the car should run fast and trouble free. Congrats!

mK

Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
haha if you think there are enough tuners to go around the country to tune then you dont know that there maybe like 4 programmers in the whole country that can actually tune motronic P car ecu's... with that said, they have a business to run not travel with a laptop.... we dont have AEM stand alones or autronik like you do in the mitsu, subi, and or supra world... we are at th emercy of select few..

MARKSKI,

I travel often...

MN - Feb
WA - March
FL - March/April

SoCal/TX - Early summer

Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll let everyone know how it goes with the K16/16g hybrids and tune. I'm not aware of anyone else running them, so it's going to be anyone's guess what kind of numbers I end up with. Either way, I'm sure Tony will get the most out of them. Good or bad I'll be sure to post the info.
Also, if anyone wants to come hang out in CT when I go to tune the hybrids and watch Tony work his magic, I'll bring the chili!!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nerdhotrod
MARKSKI,

I travel often...

MN - Feb
WA - March
FL - March/April

SoCal/TX - Early summer
hah maybe that's why you have only 140 posts LOl J/K

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Very respectable numbers Guys...

I'd offer up my car for a little comparison if Nerdhotrod wants to do an A/B on a K16/K24 car with the UMW vs. his tune... I'd be curious to see how the two differ...

I'd also like to throw this out there... There are A LOT OF TUNERS OUT THERE... MANY OF THEM KNOW THEIR CHIT!!!

It's great having choices, isn't it?

Mike

Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
nerdhotrod is infamous around these partsnerdhotrod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly

I'd offer up my car for a little comparison if Nerdhotrod wants to do an A/B on a K16/K24 car with the UMW vs. his tune... I'd be curious to see how the two differ...

I'd also like to throw this out there... There are A LOT OF TUNERS OUT THERE... MANY OF THEM KNOW THEIR CHIT!!!

Mike

Choices (competition) is what drives a market to keep advancing. 2008 should be fun .

Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
This is an amusing thread. Who cares about getting 10 more ft/lbs tq between flashes, k16's are gay anyway.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
This is an amusing thread. Who cares about getting 10 more ft/lbs tq between flashes, k16's are gay anyway.

Agreed! lol

Old 01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
In my defense, this tune is a 2 week stopover on my way to hybrids. Not all of us can do 1000hp builds.

Still, I'd rather have the most safe horsepower possible no matter my configuration (especially when I paid less than some OTS tunes).

Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 PM
hly
hly is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
if this happens, I am definitely there to see the K16/24 UMW and K16/16g.
Actually SGM, let me know when you are tuning your car next at epl, if I can swing it I'll def want to come along.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
ace996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Still, I'd rather have the most safe horsepower possible no matter my configuration (especially when I paid less than some OTS tunes).
+1...some just don't get it, it's not about the 20-30hp/tq...it's about having a correctly tuned car, if you're fortunate enough to be able to have it tuned.

The difference with bigger turbos and other mods is even greater.
Run a canned, mail-order, OTS flash with a serious build and you're probably leaving a good 50hp/tq on the table and sacrificing some major spool-up. Last I checked, some people are spending quite a chunk of change to gain 50hp/tq.... Yeah, magic beans...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ace996
+1...some just don't get it, it's not about the 20-30hp/tq...it's about having a correctly tuned car, if you're fortunate enough to be able to have it tuned.

The difference with bigger turbos and other mods is even greater.
Run a canned, mail-order, OTS flash with a serious build and you're probably leaving a good 50hp/tq on the table and sacrificing some major spool-up. Last I checked, some people are spending quite a chunk of change to gain 50hp/tq.... Yeah, magic beans...
Are you two still trying to make a federal case out of K16 flash tunes? Nobody is blowing their cars up with these OTS flashes. For the past 4-5 years Protomotive has been sending his flashes out daily and they are damn near perfect. Same with UMW. Even GIAC does a decent job for those running typical mods. Sure it's nice to have a tune set-up for a particular car, but these types of flashes are as basic and simple as they get.

Congratulations on another good flash, but you haven't done anything that others can't or aren't doing.....

Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
+3. Now go get some real Turbos.

For quoting Jamie I am now going to fill my mouth up w/ water, the barrel of a 44 cal Magnum and squeeze the trigger.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Silly me wanting the most possible horsepower for my dollar no matter my setup.

Also, "real" turbos are on the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A day at EPLabs - +80whp and +100wtq - Dyno confirmed (long)