996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

evo stg 3 clutch + aasco lwfw + gt2 clutch assist delete = WOW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
evo stg 3 clutch + aasco lwfw + gt2 clutch assist delete = WOW

i had the old Evo Stg 3 w/ what was basically a 964 LWFW (right sharky?) and it was not the funnest car to drive. it was very on/off, and with the clutch assist, you never quite knew where it would engage. i "suffered" through 25k miles b/c i loved the quick-revving lwfw. i always joked no one would ever steal my car for a joy ride b/c there would be nothing joyous at all to a beginner.

clutch wore out, it went back into the shop, and Sharky suggests the Aasco LWFW, in addition to the GT2 clutch assist delete that was already planned.

i got in the car today, backed up, and took off. it was as easy as pie. once the clutch breaks in, my car will be VERY fun to drive again!

the GT2 clutch assist is a MUST DO imo. it makes the car so much more predictable. sure, it's a little harder to push down, but it's more than worth it.

to give you an idea of clutch feel now - it feels like a Mini Cooper S on steroids.

- chuck

Last edited by carendt242; 04-19-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Chuck,

How was the clutch power-assist deleted in your case? My delete was pretty involved and I am curious if there was an easier way.

Also, how is the noise/rattle with the Aasco LWFW?

I agree with you - the 996tt is much more fun and rewarding to drive with the clutch power-assist deleted. It just feels "right" on every take-off.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I actually got rid of all the power assist... although it does feel great its a bit hard on the foot... LOl

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by John D
Chuck,

How was the clutch power-assist deleted in your case? My delete was pretty involved and I am curious if there was an easier way.
i'm assuming i got the Evo kit since Sharky did it but i'll let him clarify.

Also, how is the noise/rattle with the Aasco LWFW?
none so far but i've only driven it 30-40 miles. i'll post an update once i get some more city driving in.

I agree with you - the 996tt is much more fun and rewarding to drive with the clutch power-assist deleted. It just feels "right" on every take-off.
arguably, one of the most satisfying mods i've done. i never liked the clutch assist, always found it awkward, and now i'm happy as a bee.

- chuck

Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Chuck,

When you get a chance ... is it possible to check out your setup?!

I've been contemplating going to a LWFW for a quite a while; I'm just a bit hesitant because of the perverbial kling klang...

Originally Posted by carendt242
i'm assuming i got the Evo kit since Sharky did it but i'll let him clarify.

none so far but i've only driven it 30-40 miles. i'll post an update once i get some more city driving in.

arguably, one of the most satisfying mods i've done. i never liked the clutch assist, always found it awkward, and now i'm happy as a bee.

- chuck

Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey chuck, so glad you like it! As I was saying to you on Saturday it felt just like my GT3RS in terms of feel and engagement - aka nice and easy and daily driveable. I'm so with you, I absolutely loathe the hydraulic assist that Porsche lumbers us with on the 996TT and now 997TT. Whenever we upgrade the power to 700 plus levels we end up having to use a grabby/race style clutch kit which only makes an already finicky clutch set up even worse to drive. The EVO kit took some time/research and trials to get right (we tried a few different ways on our car) but the release kit they have now just works and installs perfectly. So much so that it even makes having a LWF a "good" option again. I know someday soon we'll be putting one in... The key on the LWF is to stay _away_ from the steel 964 Porsche LWF and go with the aluminium one.

FYI guys in the Bay Area can always try the pedal feel out on our GT800 (Although it doesn't have the LWF on it). Or go ahead and try a GT2, GT3 if you can because the feel/effort is extremely close.

Here's the details on the kit itself.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=162

Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I love the GT2 clutch feel, and wouldn't change it for ANYTHING.. Congrats Chuck, its always horrible to tough it out with something you arent totally comfortable with or enjoying!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Chuck,

When you get a chance ... is it possible to check out your setup?!

I've been contemplating going to a LWFW for a quite a while; I'm just a bit hesitant because of the perverbial kling klang...
yes, just send me a PM and we can arrange something...

Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
pedal is stiff so remember to do some squats with your right leg too....because after a drive your left leg WILL be bigger than your right leg....

Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
FYI guys in the Bay Area can always try the pedal feel out on our GT800 (Although it doesn't have the LWF on it).
Alex - I would consider taking the GT800 for a drive, but I feel my my desire for more power would be tickled again and my pocketbook wouldn't be able to handle it...

Either way, eliminate the hydraulics and you'll be much happier with the feel of the clutch engagement.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:54 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rich in Almaden
Alex - I would consider taking the GT800 for a drive, but I feel my my desire for more power would be tickled again and my pocketbook wouldn't be able to handle it...

Either way, eliminate the hydraulics and you'll be much happier with the feel of the clutch engagement.

LOL! Tickets on the house... I think more and more of us Turbo owners with or withouth the LWF are going this way. Anyone that's driven a GT2 or 3 knows how these cars _should_ feel

Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Alex,

How is the rattle/noise at idle with the Aasco LWFW compared to the Porsche/Sachs version?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by John D
Alex,

How is the rattle/noise at idle with the Aasco LWFW compared to the Porsche/Sachs version?
Hey John, sorry I didn't address that but it's considerably less with the Aasco.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sharkster
FYI guys in the Bay Area can always try the pedal feel out on our GT800 (Although it doesn't have the LWF on it). Or go ahead and try a GT2, GT3 if you can because the feel/effort is extremely close.

Here's the details on the kit itself.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=162
Shark i may have to take you up on this offer as my next mod is looking to be a LWFW and possible clutch. I can't stand the clutch assist.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
i drove it through the city today - no flywheel noise that i could hear (the fabspeed has made me somewhat deaf though )

this set-up is soooooo much better than before. w/ the old set-up, backing up was an extreme pain in the *** - the whole car would shake. now it just backs up, no shake...

if nothing else breaks, my car will be fun this summer

- chuck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: evo stg 3 clutch + aasco lwfw + gt2 clutch assist delete = WOW