996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

UMW STAGE 4 KITS: When will they run?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Craig..Hats off my man... 'nough said...let's move on

Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
Marty, Just working out the DETAILS , thats what it's all about! I really don't want the "SNAP-CRACKLE-POP" syndrome thats going around lately, but rest assured this spring they will be done (I hope) ...This project was not easy like all builds (Mark, Scott, ROBMD, Suman, Jaggs, ETC). I'm sure they expected to be done & things get delayed out of our control....SOON SOON.
No ****!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Wow Craig...you taught me something about forum social dynamics. So Marty, you've been called out. You're usually supportive of anyone trying to make power. I'm looking forward to your response.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Well said Craig.
BTW, KPg knew what's going on with my car... LOl
2 boost leaks, new turbos, over ported cracked plenum.... new oil lines... wrong gasket reordered caused a leak(on the plenum).
car is running

mark
Four score and seven years ago.....it hasnt been that long,but it feels like it sometime. There are a couple people I speak to on the phone regularly and Mark is one of them. He is a stand up guy even though he is a Proto customer. The one thing many on this board will never understand is what goes into these builds. It doesnt matter if it is EVOMS, Proto, UMW or Acme engine builder. Unless you are in it , you will never understand. Mark told me many times when this was undertaken to sit back relax and be prepared for the delays and issues that inevitably arise. I chuckled that it wasnt going to happen on my watch. Well, it did. Mark was right because he has been there. Jags,Scott,Tom, Craig, Rob, Joe,Mark, Sumans all know what is going on....CJV is in a class by himself They have been there or are currently in the middle of it. I could waste a page or 2 just on the heads for my car. The delays had zero to do with Kevin and UMW. None. Guess what though? He is the one that fielded the calls from frustrated customers and took the brunt of it. Even when the heads were done and in hand, another issue with custom cams and valve stem heights arose. There was quick fix with shims. He said not a chance and sent them back and stripped them down and ate a full set of exhaust valves over a couple thousandths valve stem height. UMW is many things.... a democracy it aint! He is firm in his beliefs. So for all you armchair quarterbacks out there, do not think for a minute you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes.... Mark, I will get you those Starbucks coffees I owe for the many lost bets I made with you on timing. Hindsight is a beautiful thing my friend......

Last edited by KPG; 01-17-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Left out Jags...my bad
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I know that Evoms as well as Proto are/had problems with the 3.8L kits as well.
That is correct,the problem was with a 3.8liter kit manufactured by Woosner.Evoms has since developed and built their own 3.8 kit.I believe Sharky,Mike @Evo, and a few others are running them with no problems.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
That is correct,the problem was with a 3.8liter kit manufactured by Woosner.Evoms has since developed and built their own 3.8 kit.I believe Sharky,Mike @Evo, and a few others are running them with no problems.
Mine is running fine. But my understanding is that EVOMs is still using the Woosner kit. They may have tweaked it.

Jag

Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
KPG,

I wouldn't worry about it. KA is going on four years next month.

I really look forward to seeing what Kevin comes up with. Our own completion is getting real close. I figure we will be somewhere north of 415 hp.
415? Thats it? Hell, I have a written UMW contract guaranteeing me 415 at idle... I wish you well finally finishing up KA. I am sure you get a chuckle out of us 1 year build guys.... and the guys questioning them

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by KPG
Four score and seven years ago.....it hasnt been that long,but it feels like it sometime. There are a couple people I speak to on the phone regularly and Mark is one of them. He is a stand up guy even though he is a Proto customer. The one thing many on this board will never understand is what goes into these builds. It doesnt matter if it is EVOMS, Proto, UMW or Acme engine builder. Unless you are in it , you will never understand. Mark told me many times when this was undertaken to sit back relax and be prepared for the delays and issues that inevitably arise. I chuckled that it wasnt going to happen on my watch. Well, it did. Mark was right because he has been there. Scott,Tom, Craig, Rob, Joe,Mark, Sumans all know what is going on....CJV is in a class by himself They have been there or are currently in the middle of it. I could waste a page or 2 just on the heads for my car. The delays had zero to do with Kevin and UMW. None. Guess what though? He is the one that fielded the calls from frustrated customers and took the brunt of it. Even when the heads were done and in hand, another issue with custom cams and valve stem heights arose. There was quick fix with shims. He said not a chance and sent them back and stripped them down and ate a full set of exhaust valves over a couple thousandths valve stem height. UMW is many things.... a democracy it aint! He is firm in his beliefs. So for all you armchair quarterbacks out there, do not think for a minute you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes.... Mark, I will get you those Starbucks coffees I owe for the many lost bets I made with you on timing. Hindsight is a beautiful thing my friend......

I totally agree with you. I know I went through alot of delays in my build. But good things come to those who wait BUT we don't like to wait

Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by jags911tt
I totally agree with you. I know I went through alot of delays in my build. But good things come to those who wait BUT we don't like to wait
Jags, sorry bro. I knew I was forgetting someone, but I just added you to my post in the edit

Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
Mine is running fine. But my understanding is that EVOMs is still using the Woosner kit. They may have tweaked it.

Jag
No as I understand it ,it is their own kit.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
No as I understand it ,it is their own kit.
Well we both have two different understandings Howabout someone from EVOMS chime in to clear the clouds

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Like I said only the few that venture into a build, KNOW THE DEAL! Especialy when your doing something totally different than the average Joe (not you Joe ) ...The final package is coming soon! .. I only wish the best on anybody taking on a project like this..Why does it matter how long it takes? As long as it gets done right! I don't know Why this thread was started, cause when they are ready Kevin & I will post all the numbers with data to back it up GOOD or BAD ..When Guys like us (Mark, Scott, CJV, Joe, Craig. etc..)take on projects like this, they bring the bar up for everybody (we all win) ...As for Marty, be carefull what you wish for...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
I think many on this forum do have their tuners of choice and we all want to see "our" stuff be the most popular. However I am small time and still have had alot of valuable help from many different guys on here. Even though our preferences do show lets not forget that we are all about going faster. I thank those that have helped me steer around needless things and applaud the fact they are willing to take the time to make sure we don't repeat mistakes that have been figured out. To each his own and I hope nobody breaks their sh-t cause these aint cheap to fix and custom is custom. Good luck guys and keep them shiny side up!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have to justify where I post, be it in UMW threads or not, whoever doesn't like it go read elsewhere. Slowmotion, I don't think I even know who you are, why would you be attacking me?

My post came as a reply to Topgun's comment about cheap engines, and while I agree with him (that's the reason I fully rebuilt mine 3 years ago now), I also noted that very expensive ones are prone to damage, and that everyone who goes through this sort of high end build, time and expense should secure tuner support and guarantee in writing of some sort, because problems WILL arise..sooner or later.

And I don't give a rat's *** if Protomotive or UMW, not my objective here, they both have to stand behind issues with their engines 100%, namely the highly expensive ones.

Whoever thinks that Sportec or RUF (and many others) have not invested 5 or 10 or 20 times as much as Kevin or Protomotive in doing the R&D for their 996 engines, does not know much.

Yet problems arise and I gave an example on those two Euro tuners to avoid the silliness posted here. I could also give specific examples of any of the other tuners mentioned here who have failed to support their customers one day or another after **** hit the fan, but that is not the purpose.

Good luck with your engines, I truly mean it.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That's exactly correct and that's we did them first on ours, Todd's and Mike's. Let's just say plasma coated liners "sound" cool until everytime you go and get gas you have to fill it with oil too Todd and the boys at EVO had to scrap our original idea of going "euro" and through a lot of R&D, trial/error/effort they did it right and their own way

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UMW STAGE 4 KITS: When will they run?