996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT3 Front caliper upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM
996GT2Clubsport is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TwinT
Hello Guys,

can anyone tell me the best place to buy these and how much I should pay?

Do I need to upgrade the caliper brackets??

and what discs should I use? GT3 350mm?

Many thanks

Lee
Hello

I use the 350mm disk and pads frome Performance Friction Brakes.
Think this will be the best upgrate on youre car.
I have testet the brakes inn two years on my car. work perfect.

Now I use the PF01 pads.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
When we checked into the PF setup, The folks at OG Racing couldn't find them in the 996TURBO offset. You can get them for the GT2 and the GT3, but apparently not the Turbo... Also, the price of the rotors was about $1100 per pair.

Mike

Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
996GT2Clubsport is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
When we checked into the PF setup, The folks at OG Racing couldn't find them in the 996TURBO offset. You can get them for the GT2 and the GT3, but apparently not the Turbo... Also, the price of the rotors was about $1100 per pair.

Mike
sorry my english writing is not the best.

Its not much work to fitt the GT2/GT3 350mm disk on a 996turbo.
Think its only 1 ore 2 mm wrong at the hub so a smal mod on the caliper is needed. weary easy. This take ca 1min.
The hi price one the disc is only the first time when you by the floating rotors. Next time you only by the disk.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I have done this mod years ago. used new factory 6-pot GT2 steel rotors and calipers with new suspension carriers that align/centers the calipers is the correct position in relation to the rotors. One of the best mods I have done.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I dont doubt that this is a good alternative, given the previous lack of options. However, with the 997Turbo components, along with companies like www.colemanracing.com and www.stockcarproducts.com willing to make custom rotor hats and provide the 350MM rotor in any design, vent or slotted/drilled, for significantly less than the PF setup or the GT2/3 conversion, I don't know why you'd want to jump thru those hoops.

Mike

Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
I'm starting to wonder if the rear upgrade is worth it! I spoke today with Parr & Tech 9 in UK (both have race Team set up) and they both mentioned that the only difference on the rear GT3 set up is an extra 20mm on the rotor (both are 4 pot calipers) I have spoke with Tom about it but at that size I think someone would be better releasing an adaptor for the existing caliper and then run the 350mm rotor, makes sense as there are currently adaptors for an even bigger step up in rotor size on fronts.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I spoke with Steve today when I was ordering some bolts and pad hardware. They can sell the 350mm rear calipers for about $1100... I'll be ordering a set once I sort the clutch/Pressureplate out.

Mike
So are you getting new 4 pot rear calipers made for a 350 mm rotor, or are you just getting 350 mm rotors to use with the OEM 996tt rear calipers? If the latter, are you going to run an adapter?

TIA!!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know what the rest will do Adam, but I'm going to look in to an adapter, it's a very small difference to replace the caliper for the sake of 20mm (think this is 10mm adapter overall), I need new rotors anyway, if it had been a 6 pot rear it would be totally different altogether.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Upgrade

Originally Posted by oak
I have done this mod years ago. used new factory 6-pot GT2 steel rotors and calipers with new suspension carriers that align/centers the calipers is the correct position in relation to the rotors. One of the best mods I have done.
2nd, The Best $$ I have ever spent as well.

Last edited by silvershark; 01-21-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
So are you getting new 4 pot rear calipers made for a 350 mm rotor, or are you just getting 350 mm rotors to use with the OEM 996tt rear calipers? If the latter, are you going to run an adapter?

TIA!!
I was planning to buy the 997Turbo rear caliper/rotor setup, which includes the caliper with the proper spacing and a larger pad surface area.

But now Steve has me thinking... I may just buy the rotors and come up with a spacer...

Gotta chew on this one for a bit...
Mike

Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 AM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Exclamation BRAKE Comparision

Here is the visual differences stock vs 997 GT3.
The extra "whoa Nellie" is Fantastic

Weight with pads & bolts

Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Looks great Shark!! I just ordered the same thing, but my pads look different. I got the OEM GT2/3 Pads...which ones did you get?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I dont doubt that this is a good alternative, given the previous lack of options. However, with the 997Turbo components, along with companies like www.colemanracing.com and www.stockcarproducts.com willing to make custom rotor hats and provide the 350MM rotor in any design, vent or slotted/drilled, for significantly less than the PF setup or the GT2/3 conversion, I don't know why you'd want to jump thru those hoops.

Mike

How much are these rotors Mike? Slotted. And the hats?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Dez, when I called Coleman, they said to send them an OEM rotor and tell them the "style" (I specifically spoke about slotted) and type of venting and they'd get them back to you in the right offset/two pieces for under $500 each. The Outer rotors replacement are about $175 each and should last for a lot longer than the cheese graters...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Front caliper upgrade