996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

guys with aftermarket nav systems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
guys with aftermarket nav systems...

trying to get some ideas as to which nav system to order
what do you have ?
how do you like it ?
please post pics

thank you

Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Avic D3 by Pioneer with xm/xm navtraffic/usb/ipod/ipod video/btb-200.

It is super. The OEM died on me 2 months after I got the car....I am owner #2...warranty was up. Anyway...dealer tech told me about the shop. It was 1200 less than the PCM1 parts.... (the CD holder/computer only).

I am very happy. One can match the color of the lighting to the car...very cool. My matches the OEM gauges/buttons.

JB

Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
How much was that system? Did that price include the install? I'm looking for a decent aftermarket nav system....the car did not come with one....which to me was good thing. The aftermarket units perform much better than the factory ones.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Installed 1600. I don't have a MOST car fwiw.... Retail: unit 999, xmtraffic 180, ipod cable 30, btb200 ~100, usb ~100...so I got under retail by a little. I was the first D3 for the shop and they wanted to do a 996TT...so I probably got a good deal. They had done them before...has a funny way of saying to the other customers things like "we're good or this guy would not trust us." My local PCA-friendly dealer pushed me there.

Car shop was much less in labor than any Porsche shop can be...in my world at least. I felt calling the local dealer to find out which "pro audio" shop was good was the best bet....worked out well for me, so I have to say try that angle....the dealer will have seen who does good and bad work in the area (he/she has to fix the bad stuff...and they see it all).

Works superb. 1/3 the cost of a Porsche unit...and probably works better. Ipod interface is really nice. Video...you could do a dvd (dangerous) if you really wanted to do so.

D3 lacks a HD, but with my Ipod, having movies/dvd player/cd player is a not really a need. As the car stereo shop guy said: "nobody buys CD stacks anymore except as OEM...not sure why people bother."

Now, my clutch went up a week after that and my wife almost killed me....had to go into savings mode for a bit and it has not been the same since for the car (LWFW went in in a fit of logic...thank you Kevin).

Since then, no issues at all. The clutch went with UMW software, and the radio, the PCM1, in my opinion was a piece of junk....nothing more than junk.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-20-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
What does the XM traffic component do for you....and is it worth the money? I would guess it has something to do with accident or traffic stoppage and suggests an alternative route? Do you use it or is it just glitz? I live in Sacramento which doesn't really have a traffic problem (we're working on making it worse though!!)

Chuck

Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Go to the XM site and see if you are a metro area that uses it...I get traffic/problem text data in "pseudo real time"....in Washington DC, the expressways are color coded, Baltimore too....red for bad..green for good, etc.

See the xm website for more information. I could xm for 99 or the xm with navtraffic for 169 so I splurged. Not sure I needed it. You can always install the unit and try it and if you don't like it, cancel the service...and have the unit there only using XM for audio. I have the parking break hack as part of my install...and the video on the move hack too....the installer was/is gifted at hacking. I suggest you find the same..... My ipod is a video ipod...and I can see video with it. I don't watch videos in the car...that is just me.

FYI (I cannot vouch for the bias..):

http://www.ronaldchristian.com/artic...70903085829598

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_w3UZIEo8k Pioneer PR guy...slickest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVA_EdSqBI&NR=1 ...bear with the motion sickness....I got sick watching this one, but it shows a lot of features (I don't use nearly as many as this guy...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVftT5sHgI mostly ipod/audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueSS4...eature=related gauges...

http://www.xmwxweather.com/navtraffi...t_coverage.xmc navtraffic info....

http://avic411.com for help with the units...how to add the pictures you see above, etc. It is very, very cool. Two weeks after you buy, the D4 will likely be here, of course....like the 998...

Oh, if you have a bluetooth phone that fails to link with the btb-200....get jetware (pocket pc stack)...trust me....

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-20-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
hey guys, where is the factory subwoofer located ?
can somome please post a pic of it ? does it have its own amp ?
thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM
scorcher is infamous around these parts
I've had an Alpine W202 with nav, bluetooth and high speed iPod connection fitted

Very happy with it too

Old 01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
The Avic-D3...

xm, xm nav (sirius can be added) ipod with video and podcast support, usb (thumbdrive), bt (stereo bluetooth...), camera input support, custom colors (I matched it to the OEM button colors iin my car)

JB

Attached Images    
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Scorcher: Nice unit....but the damn steering wheel is on the wrong side....did you print the negative backwards??

Old 01-24-2008, 02:42 AM
scorcher is infamous around these parts
It's only fair to let the passenger have a drive!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:09 AM
deandob is infamous around these parts
I don't know what you guys are on about, Scorcher's steering wheel is on the right side

JCB - nice interior except your steering wheel is on the wrong side. My 996 has an almost identical interior - Porsche do a good job with the leather interiors, one of the reasons I moved away from BMW's.

Steve, here is the link to show you how to get to the subwoofer. Click on the video link, very informative.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ht=ECU+removal

Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 AM
thanks guys

Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 AM
kunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura aboutkunal has a spectacular aura about
Anyone have more info on the Kenwood DNX7100? I am thinking about getting this one. Any pros or cons on this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Wheelman is infamous around these parts
Kenwood DNX7100 is awesome!
+The Nav is simple and easier to use then my TomTom, IMO. The Nav is more accurate, as far as directing you, than the one in my RX400h. It looks nice and factory if installed by a competent installer.
+The setup is user friendly.
+It makes the factory speakers sound twice as nice.
-The issues I have is deal with adding or changing your background screen. Sometimes it sees my SD Card and sometimes it doesn't.
-It might take 10-15 seconds to initialize start-up.

I am definitely very pleased and satisfied with adding the Kenwood. I looked at the Alpine and Eclipse but wasn't too happy with the Eclipse I had in my other car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: guys with aftermarket nav systems...