996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2nd gear pop out on 05 996tts cab?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
2nd gear pop out on 05 996tts cab?

I've read about this on the 6 but today I am in my 05 996tts cab with close to 15k, 2k that I have put on. The car has a oem ssk and I go into 2nd and get to around 2500-3000 rpms when I let off the gas to slow down for a right turn and next thing I hear is a pop and I'm in neutral. Is this an issue or is it possible I did not engage the gear properly? First time this has happened. I just put a b&m ssk on my 03 996tt and it is stiffer and I hear/feel the click when engaged, this one is my daily d, so wondering if maybe its just the difference between the two cars that got me? I go in to the dealer to have some h&r springs put in and an allignment Mon so I'll mention it to them but any thoughts from the 6 would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
It could be the short shifter not being installed correctly. If you do a search, there is a thread on this happening to another member. After they readjusted the cables, everything was fine. I would check your short shifter first.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
who installed it?

take it to the dealer... and pray they will not deny the claim.... but they probably will.. been there done that... yes its the tranny for sure... synchros....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
update on pop out.

The car came from factory with the oem ssk. I mentioned it to the head mechanic at the dealer today and he said since its the first time we should keep an eye on it to make sure its not a fluke. He also mentioned since I am covered till mid 09 on factory wrrty I will be ok to wait for a repeat on the pop out. I was wrong on mileage, car has 13k and I have put 1500k since new to me. Thanks for the advise. I will keep an eye on it for now.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds more like you just didn't get it all the way in gear....That's happened to me with the 930 when I rush to get it in gear as the light changes and don't get it all the way meshed in the gears. I'd not worry about it unless it happens repeatedly. Try sticking it in second, then apply gas, let off, apply gas, let off...... in sort of a jerking motion. If it stays in gear, not problem....if it pops out....problem. I haven't heard of any issues with the 05.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
he can check really easy if its broken...

go into 2nd and stay in it till 5K rpms and then let off and let it coast to 2K rpms... if it pops out then you know...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I think you just had a bad "engagement". Happens all to often here in the US!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
My gut says a bad engagement b/c I'm getting used to driving the 03 996tt with the new(less than a month) b&m that the dealer installed for me which is very very tight in feel. My O5 996tts has a loser/softer feel by comparison and that might be that it is broken in with the 13k miles or that it is an oem ssk. I hear from this forum that b&m makes the oem so I was suprised to feel the difference, especially getting the new b&m into reverse. I will keep all the above tips handy should she act up again. Thanks to all for chiming in.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
superchicken is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the thread and info on how to check for this problem.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Est8esq is infamous around these partsEst8esq is infamous around these parts
Let me know what happens. I've had the same problem and my dealer tore the whole tranny apart for me. At the end of the day, they found nothing and assembled my drivetrain back together again, only making a slight adjustment to the linkage?

I haven't had as much a problem as I had before, but did have it pop out once last summer before I put it away. The dealer is stating Porsche rep will not permit another tear down unless dealer can duplicate problem. They're indicating it's driver error.

Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
I've read about this on the 6 but today I am in my 05 996tts cab with close to 15k, 2k that I have put on. The car has a oem ssk and I go into 2nd and get to around 2500-3000 rpms when I let off the gas to slow down for a right turn and next thing I hear is a pop and I'm in neutral. Is this an issue or is it possible I did not engage the gear properly? First time this has happened. I just put a b&m ssk on my 03 996tt and it is stiffer and I hear/feel the click when engaged, this one is my daily d, so wondering if maybe its just the difference between the two cars that got me? I go in to the dealer to have some h&r springs put in and an allignment Mon so I'll mention it to them but any thoughts from the 6 would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have not had the problem in my 05 turbo s cab.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Est8esq
Let me know what happens. I've had the same problem and my dealer tore the whole tranny apart for me. At the end of the day, they found nothing and assembled my drivetrain back together again, only making a slight adjustment to the linkage?

I haven't had as much a problem as I had before, but did have it pop out once last summer before I put it away. The dealer is stating Porsche rep will not permit another tear down unless dealer can duplicate problem. They're indicating it's driver error.
Its been a week and no repeat, not that I have driven it alot. May have been user error. I'll keep everyone posted if it goes to the next level. Very nice tts cab you have there.