996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Battery Replacement Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Battery Replacement Update

For those of you considering a Sears Die Hard replacement battery, the battery listed on the Sears website did not fit my '02 Turbo. The website lists a group 49 battery (Mfr.#33349) as the replacement for '02 and '03 Turbos. I should have measured mine before I went to Sears. Unfortunately, the group 49 was an inch longer than my O.E. battery and completely covered all three threaded holes (tray accommodates three different size batteries, my O.E. and two smaller sizes) for the clip that holds the battery down. So, I go back on the website and check to see if I missed something. Turns out, they list a group 48 battery (Mfr.#33348) for '01 Turbos. Now, if the group 49 does indeed fit '02 and '03 Turbos, my '02 Turbo (Dec. '01 build) must have gotten an '01 battery tray. Something to keep in mind when shopping for a battery. The group 48 fits fine and uses the next smaller tray clip hole. As I hoped, the starter does turn the motor over a little faster, now. Note: I did have to enter the radio code and reset the clock and center gauge display.

Last edited by Rob; 06-15-2004 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:23 AM
OKHJOON190 is infamous around these parts
whats wrong with just getting another oem battery from porsche

Old 06-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
OKHJOON190,

From what I've read on 6speed, the O.E. German made battery isn't the greatest quality and is rather expensive at $150 - $200.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:48 AM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
depending on the mileage on the car, porsche will replace the battery under warranty. Mine had 16k on it over 3 years, and they replaced it for free.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Rob
I do remember reading that here on 6speed, but my battery was still working, the dealer probably wouldn't have replaced it yet. I never had a problem starting the car, but I do use it regularly (at least once a week). I figured, the car's two and a half+ years old, I travel long distances sometimes and really don't want to get stuck, so replacing it is probably a good idea.

Last edited by Rob; 06-15-2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:54 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
The dealers are not replacing them if your mileage driven is less than national average of cars driven. They are saying the lack of driving them is killing the battery. Which is BS since I drive mine daily. I put a Die Hard in mine and called it a day.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:13 AM
ebaker2 is infamous around these parts
I was told that if you use a battery maintainer they will warranty the battery.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
I drive my car fairly regularly and just replaced the original battery the other day...after 6 years.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Rob
OKHJOON190,

What's up with those SL55s? Were your cars early production models? Are they still having problems with the blower motors? Almost seems unbelievable that Mercedes would have these repeated problems. Seems others have had motor problems, too, along with a general feeling of lackluster quality. Blown motors, in todays world?

Old 06-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Rob
Fellas,

If I wanted to buy a battery maintainer, do I have to get the Porsche unit or can I just get a sears or some other good quality trickle charger? Will a non Porsche maintainer negatively affect the car's "always drawing power" systems (e.g. the computer, alarm system, etc.) ?

Old 06-16-2004, 01:27 AM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
I replaced my battery last week with an AGM style sealed battery, same as Mercedes, it is physically longer but does fit with a nut under the last hole towards the right side of the car, this battery can be obtained through a knowledgeable interstate dealer

The stock Porsche battery is a piece of ****, my '03 Turbo was already having cranking problems
The most important thing with battery maintanence is to use a maintainer, when my car is not being used even if its only 1 day I hook it to the maintainer

Car cranks like a beast now just the way I like it!

Last edited by vipertestarossa; 06-16-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:03 AM
West Palm is infamous around these parts
Rob,
I would stick with the Porsche battery maintainer. It plugs right into your lighter outlet so you don't even have to open your hood.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:10 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by vipertestarossa
I replaced my battery last week with an AGM style sealed battery, same as Mercedes, it is physically longer but does fit with a nut under the last hole towards the right side of the car, this battery can be obtained through a knowledgeable interstate dealer

The stock Porsche battery is a piece of ****, my '03 Turbo was already having cranking problems
The most important thing with battery maintanence is to use a maintainer, when my car is not being used even if its only 1 day I hook it to the maintainer

Car cranks like a beast now just the way I like it!
AGM technology is going to be the next big thing in the battery industry. Seems like everyone is making them, we just started manufactureing them recently. One thing to think about though is they are significantly heavier then the avg starting battery.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:32 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Odyssey Battery...cheapest mod to lighten the car...12-15lbs...I need to do this and save 35lbs in the front end

Old 06-16-2004, 12:20 PM
ebaker2 is infamous around these parts
What is AGM technology?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement Update