996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

time to come clean - who has AUTO TT???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Not a TT, but a Tip owner

Old 06-15-2004, 08:04 PM
hhazrati is infamous around these parts
I just got into a 2002 TT with 6Spd after 3 years in a Boxster TIP. I sure missed the TIP at the track last weekend! I was much faster on the track with a TIP (novice/beginner).
I am having to learn performance shifting all over again!!!!!!!!!!
At the track, I am sure I made a lot of guy's day, by having them climb on my behind through the turns, then slowing down to let them pass!
I miss the TIP, but will stick with the STICK.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:42 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Nothing wrong with tips. I would be very happy to see Porsche develop a true paddle shifter like BMWs SMG/Ferraris F-1 or Lambos Egear.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Honored Member

W8MM is infamous around these parts
I've got one of both.

A normal 996TT Tip coupe and an X50 6-speed Cabriolet.

And, ... I'll let you in on a little secret: Now that I've had a chance to drive them back-to-back as many times as I want, I only prefer the 6-speed about 10% of the time. The rest of the time (90%), I prefer the Tip.

The Tip is plenty smart and soooo smooooth in going about what it does. I never feel as if the Tip is fighting what I want to do when I'm in a hurry in the twisty bits. It's always on best behavior.

The big deal is NO BOOST DROP while shifting in the Tip. Unless I bang the gearbox, there's always a boost drop-off between gears with the 6-speed. The Tip just accelerates and never lets up. Way cool.

This is even more true with an X50! The turbo lag is more pronounced in the X50 and the Tip's torque converter keeps the engine RPMs up into the productive area with very little waiting.

With the 6-speed, one has to wait for the actual car speed to accelerate to get into a productive RPM range with the engine, and then the selected gear is already about maxed out and time to shift! This makes 1st gear a frustrating experience, even though it can be quite fast.

I can hear some of you thinking that, "This guy just doesn't know how to launch the 6-speed correctly." Well, ... if lighting up all four tires is your kind of "in-control" experience, ... Please stay away from me on the street!

The Tip is just so much more productive in a mix of day-to-day commuting and back road hairing around that I now wonder about letting my wife's wishes for a 6-speed prevail for our new Cab.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Cab X50 ... 6-speed and all! But, maybe when the 997TT Cab arrives, I'll be thinking DSG for sure.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Greyghost is infamous around these parts
Tip is nice but 6-speed is the old school way I grew up on!

Old 06-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
I have a Tip - Don't play with matches.

I hope that Porsche is going to have something simular to the SMG tranny that BMW has and the DSG Audi has, because the tranny's can shift faster than all most anyone could shift a manual.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:08 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
TIP here as well. Even thought sometimes I wish I waited for a 6speed, I never regreted buying the TIP. On a track, a TIP might even up the odds of a novice doing pretty well against people of higher experience..

Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by W8MM
I've got one of both.

I bet you didn't special order a tip in your CGT Mike...

Old 06-16-2004, 03:56 AM
trueloans is infamous around these parts
The Only complaint I have with my TIP is that I wish it had another gear like the Cayenne does or even better the 7 speed Auto from Mercedes!! That would be Perfect!!

Old 06-16-2004, 12:20 PM
alamein is infamous around these parts
I've got a tip and think it's great ... keep it in auto for when you just want to chill, move it into manual and shift with your thumbs for a little more excitement

yes a 6-speed is more fun and sometimes I wish I had it, but if it was I couldn't (or wouldn't) use it everyday, and being able to use the Turbo on a daily basis in any driving scenario more than makes up for it.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:53 PM
EM 996 GTS is infamous around these parts
got a TIPtronic for now...

Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 PM
TestnDoc is infamous around these parts
Ive owned many porsches through the years. This is my first TIP. Wish I had done it years ago!!

Old 06-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Kuaaina is infamous around these parts
bought both ... seal grey Tip and Silver 6spd... sold the 6spd 2 months ago with 9K miles on it... kept the Tip and love it

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
The problem with SMG and the like is they are neither fish nor fowl. That is, they aren't smooth like a true automatic and aren't as satisfying as rowing your own. For ultimate pure speed as in a racing situation, then they are proven fastest, but how many of us need that? I have no doubt that they probably have the technology to make a true automatic that has a shifter that you could row in a traditional pattern without the clutch. Until they get all the kinks out of manumatics or automanuals or whatever they call themselves, you are better off with Tip or 6-speed. If you don't drive in traffic and are able, why wouldn't you choose a 6 speed?

Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Tiptronic sucks. Porsche needs to catch up to BMW and Ferrari in the tranny department.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: time to come clean - who has AUTO TT???