996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Labor charge for turbo swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Labor charge for turbo swap?

How much have folks been charged for turbo replacement work? I've been told people are being quoted as few as 5 hours labor these days? Any recommendation for a shop by NY to do a swap for a reasonable flat fee? I will be providing my own turbos, so I just need to know the labor expense.
Please share your experiences, good or bad.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
a lot of stuff has to come off.... bumper, ICs... etc....
if I were u I would change the plugs while ur at it... thats another 30 minutes....
$500 is fair...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
JSS Performance in Mineola, NY. Small shop a guy named Bert Mota owns and runs it. He was the head mechanic at Autosport Designs and just went out on his own. AWESOME mechanic, very honest, and he does not play any games, he's just a good guy no other way to say it. One conversation with him and you'll understand what I'm talking about. The shop info is as follows:

JSS Performance
10 Roselle Street
Mineola, NY 11501
516 877 9899

He works on tons of exotics but his expertise is Porsche

Let me know if you want any other info...

Good luck, Justin

Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
ICS performance
377 Elm Street
Stamford CT. 06902
45 min from Manhatten 1 stop on the new haven line

They do this swap all the time . You can dyno it there if you want

203 323 3486 Ask for george
Tell him Elliot

Elliot

Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Michael, im in a similar situation as you, I bought a set of used K24s and some boost hoses, f-hose ect, and my car is being dropped off at RPM North in Plainview tomorrow for Eddie Bello to do the swap (I felt real comfortable knowing he would be the guy working on my car, talked to him for a while about it) If you would like to know the price I got quoted for the job PM me and I will let you know details, the only part I realized I did not have that they charged me for were the gaskets for the turbos.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
996twin_sc is infamous around these parts
5 hours to swap from my K16's to K24/18g's.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
not sure about NY but in So Cal, I got three quotes. One from a non Porsche indie who said $500, another from an Indie Porsche shop who said $1200 and of course the dealer who said $2500.

I chose the Indie Porsche shop.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 AM
y996t is infamous around these partsy996t is infamous around these parts
yes it is about 5 hrs i did my turbos myself an plugs

Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Zuma 911 has a spectacular aura aboutZuma 911 has a spectacular aura about
It's a labor of love type of job. Five hours is enough if everything goes well. One stubborn oil collector line/nut and it's now 6 hours...etc.
I never take off the bumpers or the IC, unless your going to bigger IC's, which is recommended when doing a 16 to 24 switch, which is probably what Markski was thinking about.
So, if you don't like wrenching, five hundred is hard to beat anywhere.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Might want to do a search on Eddie Bello here......

Originally Posted by LiNks
Michael, im in a similar situation as you, I bought a set of used K24s and some boost hoses, f-hose ect, and my car is being dropped off at RPM North in Plainview tomorrow for Eddie Bello to do the swap (I felt real comfortable knowing he would be the guy working on my car, talked to him for a while about it) If you would like to know the price I got quoted for the job PM me and I will let you know details, the only part I realized I did not have that they charged me for were the gaskets for the turbos.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turbochris
Might want to do a search on Eddie Bello here......
Yea, I was subscribed to that whole thread, and honestly after reading other posts on here by the same people who were on that, I am not a big fan of forum chat. I didnt bring my car to Eddies shop, I brought my car to RPM. I feel more then comfortable.

I am not the type to judge any person/product by forum chat until I have tried it myself.

Unless its like Markski giving knowlege/info on his experience or something like that, i def pay attention then.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
I like wrenching and actually really want to do this as a "gettin to know ya" project with the car, but I'm short on time, space and tools at the moment. That and $500 might just be worth the spared knuckle-skin and cursing.

Tough call.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Hey Seal I am going to do the swap in the spring, come on down and we can learn together! I am with you on this one, I really want to do the swap myself, I like wrenching and i think will be educational. I plan on doing Turbos, IC, headers,strait pipes, Boost hoses, F-hose, DV and of course plugs.Might take me more then 5 hours!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
OK, I want to do it myself, but don't want to have a miserable time of it.

So if anyone's got:
(i) a warm garage with good jack stands (or a LIFT!!);
(ii) compressor tools;
(iii) a decent set of mechanic's tools;
(iv) a good torque wrench; and
(v) a big enough cooler for the beer and steaks I'll provide,

and is within an hour of NYC, then let's swap us some turbos (yours included if you've got a set to do (or maybe plugs)). Otherwise, I think I'm gonna give it to a shop.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
having just completed this myself Iwould say for $500-750 jump all over it. It is not impossible but without specific directions it is a pretty decent task. Go ahead and get plugs while you are at it. Get the new plugs in the correct heat range. I have heard to get the bosch instead of the Beru. You would be crazy not to do this at the same time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Labor charge for turbo swap?