996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

O/T Need a winter beater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 08:41 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
O/T Need a winter beater

Looking for a new winter beater! Something with 4 doors, all wheel drive or four wheel drive and fairly fast. Some options:

Subaru WRX STi

Cadillac Escalade

BMW X5 4.6

Mercedes ML55

Infiniti FX45

Audi A6 quattro

Anything else to consider? It can be new or 1 or 2 years old. I think I am leaning toward the WRX it is very fast stock and easily modified.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-25-2003, 09:30 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I had a ML55....not too happy with it and would have rather gotten a X5 4.6
Id go the SUV route instead of another small car!! Height helps when that white snow piles up o the streets

Old 08-25-2003, 09:53 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
What did you not like about the ML55? Just curious. Anyone else had the BMW X5 4.6?

Old 08-25-2003, 09:59 AM
The quality of the interior (does not deserve the MB badge) and the traction in the snow are not that great....Otherwise power is awesome!!
Why not consider a Cayenne S or a Range Rover??

Old 08-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
the BMW 4.6 or the ML55 AMG are horrible cars for the winter. The performance tires and the intense amount of power do not mix well w/winter time weather. The STi is as good as every other car as long as you have snow tires. The Caddy Escalade is an overpriced Yukon, but it has every single possible feature u would want in a car standard (except navigation and sunroof). It does extremely well in the snow, but what fun is an escalade without 24 inch rims? I dont see any fun. Its just a "wanksta mobile". The infiniti is a well reviewed car but requires a person w/bad taste to appreciate its beauty. The H2 is the baddest *** SUV out there, but not on your list. Id go with any GMC truck. They are reliable, safe, alot of space, and with under 5G u can make them very sweet.(audio/video,lights,grille, etc.)

Old 08-25-2003, 10:14 AM
I thought about the Hummer H2 but I want something fast and that thing is a slug! If you put winter tires on the ML55 or BMW 4.6 doesn't that help with the winter issue?

I am really leaning toward the WRX.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:22 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
trucks

buddy i hear ya -
I just picked up an 2004 jeep cherokee ltd - lease was so cheap I couldn't resist

High Output V8 - navigation - every option for only $466 a month

I wanted to keep my 4x4 payment well under $500 so that did the trick

bmw 4.4 and 4.6 is obviously a great truck if $$$ is not a option

This is the truck

Last edited by DJ; 08-25-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:31 AM
I think the Range Rover is the best winter performer of the lot - big $$$$ though (same price as a BMW 4.6...)

Old 08-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Doody is infamous around these parts
i'll second the JGCL limted route. i'm on my second one. the design is clearly dated, but IME, they're solid cars. never had any problems with the first one. haven't had any problems with this one. great winter car. the quadradrive is good stuff in the snow. the prior system wasn't as good as quattro on our a4, but the new system is as good or better in snow.

AND it's one of the cheapest options. tons of hauling space too - the X5 is very small inside (cubic feet).

doody.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:20 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
If you just want a spare 4x4 with some luxury and a lot of space - you cant do any better the the jeep grand cherokee Ltd. with a v8 leather and nav for $466 a month - if it gets messed up how much are you really gonna care ?

Old 08-25-2003, 12:03 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
check out the EVO. i have driven both the EVO and the STi and i like the EVO much better. It has slightly less power but handles much much better.

-Steve

Old 08-25-2003, 12:35 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
A used VehiCROSS (<$20,000).
It comes stock with Recaro Seats, MOMO steering wheel, KYB Twin tube gas struts, 20" wheels and tires, Power switch that changes shift points for performance oriented driving, Winter switch that reduces engine torque for starting out in snow, one of a kind looks. Oh yeah.....goes like hell and handles like a demon.
Do a search on eBay and you are bound to find a few.

Last edited by KPV; 08-25-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:46 PM
FredinNY is infamous around these parts
I just got an BMW X5.....

I went with the 3.0. Fully loaded with the premium and sports packages. I decided to go with the 3.0 because it had enough pickup for the type of driving i do (mostly city) and I always have the TT to use when I need a rush. A word of caution - if you go with the X5 the 4.6 is not good in the snow. The 19" wheels are performance tires and are almost considered dangerous in the snow. You will need to downisize to snow tires - a better option might be the 4.4 with the 18" all season tires.

Last point - if you gare going to lease - they are offering a great lease deal now - I looked at them all - Jeep, Blazer, GMC, Toyota and pound for pound dollar for dollar - the current lease deal for the X5 - BMW has them all beat.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
The deal on current X5s is great because they are getting a face-lift in September (or whenever the 04s are out)!!
Also, the stock wheels on the 4.6 are 20" not 19"...Not very good fro snow but the 4.6 is really fast!!

Old 08-25-2003, 04:41 PM
FredinNY is infamous around these parts
I stand corrected they are 20" - the optional wheels on the 4.4 are 19" with performance tires. The 04's will be hitting the showrooms in late Oct. The facelift is minor in the way of cosmetics - basically the front lights are different as is the grill. The major changes are a 6 speed transmission (manual on the 3.0 and auto on the 4.4) and a newly designed four wheel drive system. More importantly the 4.6 will be discontinued for 04, however there is talk of a 4.8 to be released in the spring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: O/T Need a winter beater