996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch problem ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:29 AM
Big Papa is infamous around these parts
Clutch problem ?

For the past weeks Ive noticed that when I get into my car to start it in the morning and push down on the clutch its very hard. After the first initial push of the clutch it softens back up. Is this a common prob. or is this the start of something thats going out.

01 996TT

Old 06-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Re: Clutch problem ?

[QUOTE

01 996TT [/B][/QUOTE] The clutch system on the TT uses a pressure accumulator system fed by the pwr steering system to assist the clutch. The regular 996 does not have it. The accumulator may be starting to go, bleeds down over night. When you start the car it repressurizes the accumulator and all is good. This may be the worst you ever see- i wouldn't worry about it much for now unless the clutch starts to remain hard maybe as much as 20 seconds AFTER starting the car.
Anyone with a TT can feel what you are feeling by shutting the car off on level ground and pump the clutch 3-4 times and it will get stiff. Restart and all will be as before. If it should get worse in future and you must make repairs, there IS a retro fit to non accumulator type. Seth.

Old 06-18-2004, 08:45 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I would run it up to the dealer. I have had 5 of these which all fell under a line issue. Originally it was a TSB then went full recall by DOT. Call your dealer and ask them about Recall 01V015000. If the car is driven daily it should not lose pressure like this under 24 hours.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Originally posted by PorschePhD
I would run it up to the dealer. I have had 5 of these which all fell under a line issue. Originally it was a TSB then went full recall by DOT. Call your dealer and ask them about Recall 01V015000. If the car is driven daily it should not lose pressure like this under 24 hours.
Wow- seeing 5 of the 900 something is a lot! Steve's right to have that checked although if it was manufactured any time in 2001 rather than mid to late 2000 it should already have the later style line. You can call Porsche Customer Commitment also and they can tell you if your car falls into the vin and had it been done yet.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Seth, We modified 1-2 TTs a month in house. Sometime more, on the good months Lord knows how many ECUs, Honestly I have lost track.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhD
Seth, We modified 1-2 TTs a month in house. Sometime more, on the good months Lord knows how many ECUs, Honestly I have lost track.
Steve, from what i hear you do a good number of TT's in general, i was just saying it's remarkable to see so many early VIN TT's (late 2000) that haven't already had the updated line yet. Sometimes it just works out that way. Were some of them the 2003 cars with the other PS line fitting prob?- As far as i know none of the 2002 cars were affected though. I've also seen several with the fuel line wear prob (all early). Accumulators still remain a prob. though- similar design as earlier 993, replaced quite a few there too. Seth.