996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Very Audible Turbo Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Very Audible Turbo Exhaust Leak

Hello All...........Happy New Year.

Car was running fine till about 6 weeks ago. It has developed an very audible exhaust leak on the Pass side cylinder bank. I took it out one evening after sitting for about 2 weeks as i find myself in the "Pampering Mode" and not wanting to put miles on her and such. I religiously watch for the temp gauge to come up tp operational temp before i get on the boost. I only use the 1.2 bar boost setting if i have the 50/50 unleaded Sunoco race Fuel and 91 local swill. Othrwise use the .9 bar setting.

I just got the P car up on jackstands and the first thing i found was that the linkage for the wastegate module was broken! I see this linkage was fabbed with allthread and then form bent for the offset.This of course is why it failed where the threade area was bent at an offset.

Does anyone make a linkage that is formed and only threaded on the ends?

Then i started the motor and tried to trace the exhaust leak as there is absolutely no visibile trace of leakage at the header flange or anywhere else from the underside view. The leak sounds like its comeing from above the Turbo Turbine Housing. No carbon tracing at all at the header flange and no visable cracks in the header. I'm getting ready to pull the bumper cover but thought it prudent to contact you first.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

I don't think the failed dump valve linkage has anything to do with the exhaust leak but thought i would mention it.

Thanks.............Geno

Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned
derek k is infamous around these parts
Evolution Motorsports makes wastegate actuator rods that are only threaded on the ends. When i worked there we would see broken rods on a regular basis, hence, making the better part. I am not sure if this part is available without buying the whole wastegate kit they offer.
I would suggest pulling the header off the car and look for signs of leakage on the gaskets. DO you know what the header to head flange was torqued to?? 18ft lbs is factory, but we usually torqued them to 26, doing it in +2lb steps till we reached 26. we would develop small leaks with the factory 18ft lbs

Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Derek.........Headers and gaskets look perfect and the sound seems to be comeing from above the Turbine housing. I will definately try the retorquing though. These are custom built S-Car-Go Racing headers. I have seen quite a few gasket failures on headers in my time and there usually pretty easy to spot. I'll check out those actuator links and see if i can buy or i'll make up a pair.Thanks for your input guy!