996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thinking of Purchasing a 2001 911 TT...Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 AM
dawk is a jewel in the roughdawk is a jewel in the roughdawk is a jewel in the rough
Thinking of Purchasing a 2001 911 TT...Questions

I am thinking of purchasing a 2001 Turbo. I am hesitant of the 2nd gear pop out. What is the percentage of 2001's with this problem? A few of the the Turbo's that I have found are not Porsche certified and no service records. They check out with Carfax, but that doesn't mean much. Is there any way to check records through a Porsche database? If it is Porsche certified will they fix the problem (gear pop out)? In the past I owned a 944 Turbo and it was a nightmare with repairs, I just don't want to get caught up with a ton of repair cost again. The 911 Turbo is just too much of a car too pass up at these prices ($50k-$56K). I have read horror stories of people buying 911 turbos and a week or a month later having to replace the gears and synchros. What are you thoughts??

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dawk
I am thinking of purchasing a 2001 Turbo. I am hesitant of the 2nd gear pop out. What is the percentage of 2001's with this problem?
10-15%. It's pretty easy to check for though. Go full out in 2nd (all the way to red), let off, and let it wind down. No pop out and your good!

A few of the the Turbo's that I have found are not Porsche certified and no service records. They check out with Carfax, but that doesn't mean much. Is there any way to check records through a Porsche database?
Not to my knowledge. IMO a CPO is a must though.

If it is Porsche certified will they fix the problem (gear pop out)?
Yes

In the past I owned a 944 Turbo and it was a nightmare with repairs, I just don't want to get caught up with a ton of repair cost again. The 911 Turbo is just too much of a car too pass up at these prices ($50k-$56K). I have read horror stories of people buying 911 turbos and a week or a month later having to replace the gears and synchros. What are you thoughts??
You'll have no worries if its warrantied. If not, with regard to synchros and gears, just find the right seller (ie. an enthusiast who treats their car right). And the 996 platform is pretty tough. To my knowledge there has only been one guy here (to my knowledge) that had such problems, but he had a 700 hp beast and apparantly beat the crap out of it. Great luck, these cars are a blast!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
mtesh73 is infamous around these parts
i would not buy the car with out the CPO, just my opinion.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
arr0gant is infamous around these parts
I agree totallly with the last 2 comments!! But I doubt if you'll find a CPO 2001 from a dealer with less then 40k miles for $50k to $55k (unless it's private party) and not a full 2 year CPO.

MAYBE $55k if it's NOT CPO'd and has $50k miles or more.

Last edited by arr0gant; 02-01-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
DaveMo is infamous around these partsDaveMo is infamous around these parts
If you are getting from a dealer and it is a one owner car, you can always ask the dealer if he will contact the prior owner and see if they will chat with you about the car. I did this on my current one and the prior owner and I have have a number of conversations.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
If it is Porsche certified will they fix the problem (gear pop out)?
Based on some other threads, some dealers may fight you on the replacement tranny for the second gear pop out if they claim gearbox abuse as the cause of the pop out issue -- either original warranty or CPO. I bought my '01 996tt CPO'd for a bit more peace of mind. It covered a rear spoiler control issue (replaced the gauge cluster) and the airbag warning light (replaced the connectrions), but has limited coverage.

Good luck with your search. There are many cars out there. Be patient and you'll find the right one for you.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
arr0gant is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alpha

Good luck with your search. There are many cars out there. Be patient and you'll find the right one for you.
Be patient and be willing to travel, and you'll find a great car/great deal.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I've got to disagree with the CPO comment- sure, if they are selling a CPO and you identify the pop out as part of the purchase process, they would have to fix it.... BUT, if the problem comes up later, Porsche has spend SIGNIFICANT time and effort on TSBs that are designed to blame 'abuse' for the pop out issue. Once you own it and drive it away, they might be VERY difficult to pay up under a CPO

Just MHO

A

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by arr0gant
Be patient and be willing to travel, and you'll find a great car/great deal.
Best advice yet!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
All Mack is infamous around these parts
Buy one. NOW!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ard
I've got to disagree with the CPO comment- sure, if they are selling a CPO and you identify the pop out as part of the purchase process, they would have to fix it.... BUT, if the problem comes up later, Porsche has spend SIGNIFICANT time and effort on TSBs that are designed to blame 'abuse' for the pop out issue. Once you own it and drive it away, they might be VERY difficult to pay up under a CPO

Just MHO

A
This is a really good point. Just make sure you know if it has the pop out issue before you drive away with it.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
techart 996 #3 is infamous around these parts
I had the pop out problem on my 01 TT. As far as I know, all 01's are built exactly the same. I really dont see a reason why all of them wouldn't be prone to the pop out issue. Mine cost roughly $10K to have the tranny rebuilt at the AG (dealer). I think the car had the problem when I bought it at 15K miles, but I was unaware of it. Some guys have discussed the problem and I think the consencus is that later models weren't as prone to the issue as the 01's were. Check the poll for reference. If I were you, I'd look for a later model with extended warranty. The higher sticker might end up saving you money in the long run. Try to find a car that has had the problem taken care of with parts and labour still under warranty. No matter what you decide to do, make sure you thoroughly test drive the car and have a ppi done. It will save you money and a headache.

GL, Peter

P.S check MAF sensor. Other than that the car is bullet proof.

P.P.S check with Lucent for a stellar 01 TT with full Techart GTS kit plus goodies. I've spoken with the current owner (very meticulous and good guy) and the car should be flawless. O.g owner is one of the most respected members on 6 speed.

Last edited by techart 996 #3; 02-01-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
This is a really good point. Just make sure you know if it has the pop out issue before you drive away with it.
To beat a dead horse... make sure they FIX it, before you drive away!

A

Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
I have a CPO 2001 for 61K

Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
Greatest car ever in every way possible (well except for space to put a bunch of crap :-)). I have a late 01 (June 01 build date). and just checked for the pop out before i bought the car. It was a 1 owner from california and the dealers out there (i assume due to SB1386) are pretty tight on giving out all the records, but were receptive to me calling them and asking them questions...so i pinged them on service history and intervals, warranty issues, etc. and they were very forthcoming. I felt comfortable, the car was and has been stout, I'm super happy with it, and got it about 100k off the original sticker price (it had a lot of factory options).
Seriously, i wouldnt worry too much. find a solid one (there seem to be plenty around) and enjoy buying the best deal going in supercars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Purchasing a 2001 911 TT...Questions