996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Diverter Valve - which is best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
power = mad

Old 02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
lol, I would be mad if I went through all this and no mp. maybe just a novelty thing.

is a single vent out the top more efficient than duals recirculated? hmm..... do you think porsche would have designed it with a single if they could get away with it? two for the price of one.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Look at any aftermarket tuner for any turbo car. I have never heard of anyone designing a BOV setup to purposefully recirculate the air. I personally think throttle response is better, but have no hard data to back that up.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned
derek k is infamous around these parts
The reason greman cars(Auid,VW,Porsche) use a recirculating valve is due to the fact that we use a mass air flow sensor as our air metering device. Once that air is measured by the MAF it cant be expelled without throwing off the ecu.

Most Japanese cars use a MAP( manifold absolute pressure) sensor isntead of a MAF sensor, so expelling this air isnt an issue.

Obviously, you can run a BOV, but as mentioned above, it cuases a rich condition between shifts, at best. ive heard of ppl having major driveability problems using vent to atmosphere valves.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
No problems whatsoever here.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
I have the EVOMS DVs.

Typically atmosphere venting causes driveability issues on street cars with MAF type metering systems. I've experienced issues on some of my previous cars whereas some it didn't matter vented or recirc'ed (different tolerances in the ECU programming plays a role too). If the air flow is measured in front of the turbo's compressor, I'd probably recirc to maintain driveability/spool. If using a MAP or speed density type metering system, I'd vent away.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I also have the Bailey's from AWE.

Mad Power!

MK

Old 02-03-2008, 08:17 PM
tjj7ff is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the information guys. Sounds like there is two or three that would make a good choice. Is this about a 1 -2 hour job to replace the valves?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tjj7ff
Thanks for the information guys. Sounds like there is two or three that would make a good choice. Is this about a 1 -2 hour job to replace the valves?
That depends how big your hands are...lol. It isn't that tough, it is just a very tight spot. The worst part is getting the hose clamp off the front DV...it is facing towards the front, so having long needle nose plyers helps. There is a great DIY writeup that Stephen Kaspar from IA wrote up.

Here is the link http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=287

It took me about 2 hrs. Now that I have done it, it would take me about 1:15.

Good luck!!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Call Dan @ Vivid for pricing. No way for it to fit in stock location, so I tore out all of the hoses and the solenoid that were back there and just rigged a single BOV to the outlet on the Y-pipe using a 90deg silicone hose reducer. Works great. Have to reroute some vacuum lines and plug the port on the intake plenum where the f-pipe connected to. Not a big deal.
Holy crap jimmer, I got mine to fit in the stock location. That looks like a ton of work! I like how you can get to it to adjust easily. the trick for me was using the top of the F pipe instead of the bottom. All vivid's pics said the bottom one but there was no way, once I put it in the top one it went in. Only took me 2 days to figure out.

Oh yeah, I am running 50/50, half gets recirc and half psshh to the outside.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Got mine to fit in the stock location too.......Cohare are you running that screwed on cap on or off? I see Jimmers is on, i took mine off, just curious which way you are running it and if there is any difference?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
deandob is infamous around these parts
Cohare, Links,

Any problems with the 50/50 setup from the MAF airflow balance being upset through venting?
Did you notice any power improvements apart from "mad power"

Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tjj7ff
Which diverter valve would you recommend for an 03 TT with no upgrades? I think mine might be leaking a bit as I hear a high pitched air sound coming from the engine bay when getting on the throttle and the whoosh sound when lifting from the excess being blown off.
I have Bailey's and I can hear them about 60% of the time when i let off the gas after having some boost. It's not loud like a vented BOV, but it is distinct.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone know the bosch part # for the stock DVs or have pictures of the stock DVs that would show part numbers? I have a hunch that I want to explore.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I had my DVs replaced with Bailey DVs...under warranty. The mechanic did the job in about 45 minutes. He did remove and rotate the top of one of the DVs to make the installation easier...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diverter Valve - which is best?