996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Improved handling from 20mm Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by glowone
Spacers may make your car look better but I think there is a ligitimate argument that spacers are not good for performance driving.
Does your own experience add to this argument ?

I've driven countless miles with spacers on tracks. The 996 GT3 mk1 came with spacers from the factory and I've seen countless race cars equipped with spacers while visiting the motorsport meccas of the world and some smaller circuits as well.

Of course, better not to use spacers if you can get the correct offsets. They add some weight and if you drive like 500k miles the bearings might be in a weaker condition.

I would say a better thing for argument is that is there an improved handling from spacers which provide a wider track ? Because depending of the specs and the car's behaviour, the answer is in theory YES but in practice hard to say

Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
How can I argue with that experience. I wouldnt anyway as I would agree.

I come from more of a boat racing background where everyone is trying different heights for their motors. They go faster, yes, in a closed course but jacking your engine way up doesnt really help the weekend warrior. I would guess the same would be true for spacers but I dont have enough experience to say.

I am just surprised that there are so many custom wheels with so many people adding wheel spacers to get the correct offsets. Why would you add a spacer to an HRE...they come in custom offsets?

I think we can also agree that Zuma911's turbo is a beautiful example.