996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive Air Intake Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
nicely done , tnx for the pic's , mine its arriving soon it will be easier to install it with your pic's

Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Did you DIY? I'm about to get a similar setup like you. Hopefully, by the time I can find a skillful Porsche mechanic in Taiwan. Would you suggest me to get a pair of B6's IC or others because I would like to retain factory IC air duct?
Yes, it was a DIY winter project. The B6's retain the factory hose fittings, so they are good for that purpose, however, if you are installing this intake system you will have to modify the ends like I did or suffer poor flow by adapting from the OEM hose to the Proto intake pipes...which would negatively affect the air flow from the turbos to the throttle body.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
this is truly impressive guys this is reinventing the engine set up, not mods per se

Last edited by RCH; 02-12-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
Very informative and helpful.
Thank you for taking the time for photos and step by step instruction.
People like you "John" are what makes this forum great.
+ 1million!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
John, the diameter of the Proto intake is I think .5 inches larger in diameter. So did you cut off the piping on the IC all the way to the body of it and enlarged the diameter by welding inn a larger diameter pipe to match it with the Proto intake?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Mark, Yes, on the out-flowing side I cut the fittings off at the base and made a hole larger than the Proto pipe itself. Then we had to fill in around outside diameter of the Proto aluminum pipe to attach the pipe. We then smoothed the inside. On the in-flowing side, the Proto pipe sleeved up real good and we just welded them in place with some slight dremel porting required prior to the welding. There are no restrictions smaller in diameter than the ID of the Proto pipes.

Then, I blew each IC out throughly with high pressure air multiple times in both directions for about an hour. Next, I ran water through each IC for 8 hours apiece (all night long), dried them and did the high pressure air again for about 1/2 hour each. This got them nice and clean...I was nervous about metal filings, but also realized that these things are made in a factory with metal filings around and you just have to be carefull and clean them throughly prior to installation. I did the water and air treatment before they were installed when they were new, too.

Last edited by John D; 02-12-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by John D
Yes, it was a DIY winter project. The B6's retain the factory hose fittings, so they are good for that purpose, however, if you are installing this intake system you will have to modify the ends like I did or suffer poor flow by adapting from the OEM hose to the Proto intake pipes...which would negatively affect the air flow from the turbos to the throttle body.
John i got confused , which one larger diameter the IC's or the Y pipe ?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
On my car now (after the work I have done), everything is the same diameter. Before I did the work, the Y-Pipe was larger in diameter than the Blown 6 intercooler fittings. So, in order to eliminate the bottleneck or restriction at the intercooler connections, I had to replace the original Blown 6, OEM style (spring clip) fittings with Protomotive aluminum pipe (the same pipe as used on the rest of the protomotive intake). This resulted in the same diameter throughout with no variation.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Thumbs up

John D thank you very much for your answer!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
John, next time around (if there is ever as I am sure you are glad this is getting to the "done" stage) get a Nitrogen bottle and a flow regulator and use that to blow through the intercoolers. Nitrogen is a really inert clean gas and the bottle comes usually at 3600 PSIG, so with the proper regulator you can pressurize the system (safely! ask what the pressure rating are for everything) and hopefully blow all of the "schumtz" out of there.

Really, really, neat stuff here dude.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
Shoot! I forgot to add.....I'm not a drag racer but I am wondering; how are you going to fight "heat soak" when you're staging for your runs? Is this any kind of a problem anyway? I know it crosses my mind at Autocross between runs and waiting in line.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Mark, Yes, on the out-flowing side I cut the fittings off at the base and made a hole larger than the Proto pipe itself. Then we had to fill in around outside diameter of the Proto aluminum pipe to attach the pipe. We then smoothed the inside. On the in-flowing side, the Proto pipe sleeved up real good and we just welded them in place with some slight dremel porting required prior to the welding. There are no restrictions smaller in diameter than the ID of the Proto pipes.

Then, I blew each IC out throughly with high pressure air multiple times in both directions for about an hour. Next, I ran water through each IC for 8 hours apiece (all night long), dried them and did the high pressure air again for about 1/2 hour each. This got them nice and clean...I was nervous about metal filings, but also realized that these things are made in a factory with metal filings around and you just have to be carefull and clean them throughly prior to installation. I did the water and air treatment before they were installed when they were new, too.
thank you for your answer

Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Garey,

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember it, but hopefully I'll never need to carry it out. I am nearing the "done" stage, I think. It's good that we have winters here because this would have been frustrating during our driving season. I thought I could do this on a Sat/Sun and be driving Sunday afternoon...

I don't give the heat soak much thought. I go out a few times per year just for fun and to test the new mods. If I run faster than before, I know the mods worked...picking cooler days helps.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:59 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Garey Cooper
Shoot! I forgot to add.....I'm not a drag racer but I am wondering; how are you going to fight "heat soak" when you're staging for your runs? Is this any kind of a problem anyway? I know it crosses my mind at Autocross between runs and waiting in line.
Fortunately the stock location of the intercoolers helps reduce heat soak as they are well insulated from engine heat. Porsche did a great job in their placement in many regards (very short run of piping, great air intake, etc). If you wanted to be really obsessive you could spray CO2 or NO2 into the IC inlets prior to your run. That would really cool the intake charge, but in John's case it would not be a good idea given that the intake is now in that area. A mist of cold water sprayed into the under side of the ICs could be helpful for his setup. He will have to do some comparison runs and let us know, right John?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
A mist of cold water sprayed into the under side of the ICs could be helpful for his setup. He will have to do some comparison runs and let us know, right John?
roadster, I think I'll leave that test to someone else - I'm getting ready to just enjoy the car and that sounds like a lot of work :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive Air Intake Install