996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive Air Intake Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:13 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Marty, Is that your car? I somehow missed that you upsized. GT30 or GT35s? If so, COOL! How is it compared to K24/18Gs?

Last edited by roadsterdoc; 09-07-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Marty,

No, I did not blow an MAF right away. I drove the car for a month or two and decided to try the V-Flow, which Tony said would blow MAF's at this level. He was right - it took about 3 minutes. I replaced the stock box, put in a new MAF and have not blown another. I am going to try the waffle as a last resort, as colorinc is running one with waffle and has no problems. If that does not work, I will stick with the OEM airbox. There does not sem to be an MAF issue with the stock air box.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by John D
Marty,

No, I did not blow an MAF right away. I drove the car for a month or two and decided to try the V-Flow, which Tony said would blow MAF's at this level. He was right - it took about 3 minutes. I replaced the stock box, put in a new MAF and have not blown another. I am going to try the waffle as a last resort, as colorinc is running one with waffle and has no problems. If that does not work, I will stick with the OEM airbox. There does not sem to be an MAF issue with the stock air box.
Interesting John. Please keep us posted on your experience with the waffle.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Wow. I had Todd install the Evo/Ford maf Proto fuel system (rails lines injectors) a year ago based on Johns experience w/ it. I get a touch of surging at idle but this car is a weekend car and thus is rarely idling.

Lesson for me: focus on the tremendous performance and ignore a bit of idle surge.

John, I really do appreciate learning from you, thanks.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 AM
S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
My idle is not pefect right after running it hard (it hunts briefly), but my other
drivability is at or near stock perfection, and yesterday in the nice cool
air and with CLEAN air filters I put my buddy's Local Speed Gallery 700 GT2 in its place convincingly, which is part of my priorities

MK
LOL...I think out of the 40 plus times we have raced it would be nice if I let you win once.

Last edited by S-351; 09-07-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold

Interesting John. Please keep us posted on your experience with the waffle.
I will. The waffle adapter should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I am a little apprehensive, but colorinc in running the waffle with the same set-up as I have (K24/18G's, injectors, etc.) and he is not blowing MAF's, so it may just work for me. I also heard from someone running the stock airbox without the screen and they were blowing MAF's, so there seems to be something about the screen playing a roll. I guess I'll know soon enough...

I hope it works beacause the car felt real strong and responsive with the V-Flow before it blew the MAF. I really like that intake.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
John,
I know it is expensive but why not try kevins new airbox. As I understand it is larger at the maf tube but is still using the stock maf. I assume you are still running the evo pipes. This is what many others are doing but the stock box could be restricting you even though it runs smoother. Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for sharing honest experiences.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
John,

I think you'll be fine with the v-flow once you install the waffle. I have had mine in for 8,000 miles with several sets of turbos, including 24/18g's, and have never blown a MAF. I do have the waffle in, and have had it in the whole time, so that is probably the reason I've been safe. I have the 650 kit instead of your 700, so it's not quite apples to apples, but I still really like the v-flow and will continue to use it.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Silver,

Thanks for the suggeston, I am open to options. First of all, I am going to try the V-Flow with waffle and if that works, I'll be finished with the intake aspect. If not, Tony at EPL, who has been tuning the car is close to a new and unique intake, designed for the OEM MAF in higher HP applications, so I will probably wait to see how that goes before making any other intake decisions. The OEM box is fine, but I like the way the V-Flow improves the throttle and turbo response, so I am really hoping the waffle works.

Adam,

That would be great. I hope you're right!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
John,
Hope you are doing well. Nice pictures BTW. Did you get to Dyno the car and look at some data and see if it was advantageous? I had EVO v-flow on mine before also. After going thru 3 MAF's, I ended up putting the OEM box back in with some modifications.
Take care,

Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Not yet, but that may be happening soon. What turbos do you have that blew the MAF's? When I had K16/24's w/ V-Flow, it never blew an MAF.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Maf

GT28R's. First did not have the waffle, blew two at the track. Busted a boost control valve too. Then added waffle, still blowing it up. Changed to original box modified it like the 997TT look with K&N filter. No problems so far, cross my fingers for now. I have paid a lot of $$$ for this little suckers.

Originally Posted by John D
Not yet, but that may be happening soon. What turbos do you have that blew the MAF's? When I had K16/24's w/ V-Flow, it never blew an MAF.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:47 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by art4iza
GT28R's. First did not have the waffle, blew two at the track. Busted a boost control valve too. Then added waffle, still blowing it up. Changed to original box modified it like the 997TT look with K&N filter. No problems so far, cross my fingers for now. I have paid a lot of $$$ for this little suckers.
Do you have a picture?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by art4iza
Now that you have the OEM box and the waffle on, do you have the metal mesh the OEM box has??? Heard that part is important to avoid turbulence of the air once it hits the MAF

Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I have the stock air box and an enlarged MAF tube with waffle and wire mesh and have had no MAF problems in the whole time I've been running the car (over a year and over 3K miles).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive Air Intake Install